No announcement yet.

Question: how to spot Aim-bots, etc...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: how to spot Aim-bots, etc...

Last night we had a couple of pubbies who joined on the TG server. Of course, both helo-camped until their favorite ride came into the rotation (Apache, of course)

So then, they proceed to Spawn-Hover around our opposition's base camp. It was pretty unusual...the amount of kills they wracked up in about 2 minutes was unbelievable. Literally, as soon as the opposition spawned, they were dead.

Some of the other guys (OS&D, Ryno) were convinced that they were cheating. So my question is (having never knowingly encountered this before), what are the tell tale signs of a potential cheater?

I'm confident in OS and Ryno's assessment...just want to know what you guys are looking for.
    |TG| HOUDINI

Aimbot on a helo?

Some of the great pilots completely dominate in the Apache.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Well

For one....he was killing me with a 2 to 3 round burst from his chopper and he was at a very high altitude. Also he could see through buildings. Patorean emptied an A-10's cannon into them and they did not die...another hack...just dicks...I've run into the "invincibility hack" before. :D
      "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
      "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Comment

Re: Question: how to spot Aim-bots, etc...

Originally posted by houdini
        Literally, as soon as the opposition spawned, they were dead.
        Oh poor Houdini...

Yeah, I know how it feels, that has been the bulk of my experience online with this game, so much so that I'm completely lost if I actually have a chance to do anything but run from cover.

When you get as many people on the server as we had last night (a lot of pub players), without admin intervention, cheat protection or way of accurately moderating the game, it turns into Lump of Steaming **** 1942.

I can understand how one might get killed easily spawning into a given point on the map, or even shot by dismounted soldiers in one's base but I'm done with getting blown-up by an enemy tank or heli doing laps in base. Isn't that why it has that red circle with the line through it for? I thought there was some kind of rule being formulated about this...

Comment

I have yet to see someone that I suspect of cheating... Except for those pilots with the amazing bombing skill about a month ago, but they could've just been amazingly accurate bombers...

Keep in mind that your little red or blue nametag shows up on everyone's HUD even if you're behind a corner, a tree or wall... Having a shorter name actually makes you less noticable.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by eternal
            Is it possible to turn off nametags?
            Good question.
            sigpic
            I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

They can set nametag distances on the server. Ours is set to 500. Most servers have it set to around 150 or so.

The problem is that it can be hard to tell if that is a friendly or an enemy in a vehicle/aircraft without the nametags...

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                The problem is that it can be hard to tell if that is a friendly or an enemy in a vehicle/aircraft without the nametags...
                Especially around flags, where the minimap doesn't always show friendlies...
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by eternal
                  I didn't know the minimap didn't show around flags??? Maybe I am missing something.
                  Well, there's the obvious problem of when your teammate's arrow is actually underneath the flag on the minimap. But (and maybe it's just me) I've been having problems with people not showing up on the minimap when they were not directly underneath the flag on the minimap.
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I like the name tags but I don't like that you get the name tags of enemies. Ok, it's sort of nice because you know who you're killing. :D

I like the way GR does it where you only see names of teammates. Sometimes I feel I've been hit just because the enemy saw my name tag.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have yet to see any cheating in BF on any server I've played. There have been a few (just a few ;) ) times I've been owned by other players and a few (more) times I've owned others. I think a lot has to do with the players ability and the controls they use (i.e. joystick for flying). I've looked around and have heard people mention aim-bots but have yet to find anything to actually do that.

As for nametags, you can see them through buildings if you are looking in that direction. It sucks but I've never really gained a huge advantage from it. I've played on servers where it was actually off and that was pretty fun, but TKs were higher. Makes you look at the uniform and hope they don't have your tank... you also had to be aware of your map a LOT more.

I also haven't seen any invincibility hack. I occasionally make comment about a super-armor hack when people can't seem to kill me, but that's all a ruse so they don't know I'm this super awesome incredible player. :D There have been plenty of times I thought I should have killed someone, but I also know it's gone the other way. Flux usually ends up on the worse end of it, but I figure that's cause he just really sux. :P
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

In the patch before the last one, there was a bug (not a bug really, just an "oops" by EA) where if you typed a console command it removed all the wall textures. The developers used it to test textures or something like that. A hacker clan (myg0t) got a hold of the command and posted it to their web site which caused a lot of cheating. I'm not too sure, but I think they fixed it on the last patch released.

Comment

You can turn off nametags but I would strongly advise against this. It would be fine if you couldn't steal the other teams vehicles, but since you can that makes it nearly impossible to know if it is a friendly or not in crowded fights.

Even turning off enemy tags isn't that great. What you end up doing is wasting time trying to get a lock on the person to see their tag. Once you realize they have no tag, 'cause they are the enemy, you are dead.

And don't let Asch fool you. The reason he thinks he is so good is cause I'm always healing him.

MEDIC!!!
                          flux
                          [tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse