Tips on using artillary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on using artillary

Any tips for those of us that never spend hours sitting in a mobile artillary piece and shelling the crap out of the enemy with spotters? :P

I have the Stingers down now (even as far as able to take down fighter jets and A-10s) and need to learn to be an effective artillary man in order to round out my supporting abilities :P

You need a good spotter with a good view on your targets. This is essential. If your spotter can't get you a good open view, you will be hard pressed to see where you are actually impacting.

I have found that views on the far side of the target to be hit (in relation to the artillery) are easier to hit.

Moving targets are largely worthless to try and spot, they move too quickly and are often out of range by the time you are prepped to take the shot.

Keep yourself and your artillery out of view from major combat. In some maps I will take the artillery to some far distant corner of the map waaaaaaaaaaaay out of range of any real action and then just dial in the targets with a higher than normal elevation to accomodate for the distance and you're golden.

Artillery works great for pounding the hell out of an enemy flag position when used properly.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

How do you get that first round to be somewhat close on target so you can readjust?

The first time I used the artillary I had no clue where my rounds were landing so I couldn't figure out how to adjust them. Is it more of a knowing how much angle to place the gun at to get it to the distance or are there any indicators in the view screen to help you pick out the correct angle?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
        How do you get that first round to be somewhat close on target so you can readjust?

The first time I used the artillary I had no clue where my rounds were landing so I couldn't figure out how to adjust them. Is it more of a knowing how much angle to place the gun at to get it to the distance or are there any indicators in the view screen to help you pick out the correct angle?
        Once the spotter has given his position, you can check the map and see what area he is covering. Then aim (by driving) the artillery to point in that general direction. Then take 1-3 shots w/o using the spotter and get the direction / distance in the general area. You may not be able to tell right away. Now switch to the spotters view and take a shot... it will trace your shot and show you where it lands.

Now that you can see where it's landing based on the spotters view, you can use the yellow hash marks to adjust the horizontal and vertical direction. Then shoot again. Repeat until you're hitting what you want.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

you actually have his viewpoint to use (the spotter supposely plants a camera to call in artillary that you look through). However, I never realize that there were other views in this game.....

Comment

Originally posted by eternal
            How does it work with the spotter? I was under the assumption it just gave you some dot of something on the map but the way you talk it seems like it shows you an actual picture or something???

Maybe we should get in there one of these days lock the server and mess around with it.
            When an unit with the binoculars calls out an artillery request, you can right-click (I believe) inside the gunner position of an artillery unit. This gives a scoped view of the spot. When you fire, it traces the shot from the spotters view.

One way to test this is to spot for yourself. Jump out of the vehicle, use the binoculars (any unit) and call for artillery. Then jump in the vehicle and use your own spot.

Note that the spot lasts for 90 seconds or until another spot is made.

Another Note: Don't keep respotting. All artillery units use the same spot and it's always the last call, so you could be messing up someone's spot.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Also as you are viewing through the spotter's eyes, notice that somewhere on the circle surrounding the view is a small image of your artillery piece with a direction arrow. Swing your artillery barrel so that the arrow points towards the center of the circle. Now you are generally pointed in the right direction.

Fine tuning - note that depending on the perspective of the spotter in relation to your position and the target position, swinging your barrel left will almost never move the fire "exactly left" in the spotter's perspective.

IE: if the spotter is on the far side of the target, swinging the barrel left will show the fire hitting further to the right - from the perspective of the spotter. Same goes with distance. It's all relative.

I always have trouble with terrain interfering with my fire. Stupid mountains and an inability to adjust the "poweder" in the shot fire mean that some-times terrain will obscure the ability to get the shot on target.

Hmmmm, I really should try El Alamein with a mortar and a spotter on the ridge south of the south flag. That might turn out nicely...

Comment

spotter and the scud are one great deterrent....huh Ryno ;)
                I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Comment

Originally posted by OSD
                  spotter and the scud are one great deterrent....huh Ryno ;)
                  Jesus that was a terrible night...I couldn't move from the flag without a scud landing inside my ass. ;)
                  "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
                  "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Comment

Well, I can't figure it out. I line up the little yellow lines and fire, but the shell looks like it is just floating in slow motion and never seems to get anywhere. Then, the view switches, and it looks like I'm looking thru someone's eyes who turns their head quickly.

I'm so confused.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

If there are multiple spots you can use the mouse wheel to scroll through them and pick the target/view you want to try and hit.

Comment

The yellow lines don't "line up" to anything. That is your azumith and elevation setting on the artillery. To line up, from the spotter view, align the icon of the tank on the outside of the circle with the center of the crosshairs in the circle. You want the arrow inside of that little tank icon to be pointing dead center to the crosshairs. This is your rough position.

From that point, fire a round and watch the spotter view. The spotter view will keep it's camera on your round until the point of impact/detonation and then jump back to the point that the spotter originally called to target. Here is where you make slight adjustments in your azumith/elevation to dial in the target more accurately.

Each time you fire, it will re-set a yellow "ghost" marker on your scales, and you will be able to move the brighter more dominant markers. If you accidentally move too much between rounds, you can just align the shadowed markers with the brighter markers and be back to your last firing solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                          The yellow lines don't "line up" to anything. That is your azumith and elevation setting on the artillery. To line up, from the spotter view, align the icon of the tank on the outside of the circle with the center of the crosshairs in the circle. You want the arrow inside of that little tank icon to be pointing dead center to the crosshairs. This is your rough position.
                          Planetbattlefield Artillery Guide Example

Originally posted by Apophis
                          From that point, fire a round and watch the spotter view. The spotter view will keep it's camera on your round until the point of impact/detonation and then jump back to the point that the spotter originally called to target. Here is where you make slight adjustments in your azumith/elevation to dial in the target more accurately.
                          PlanetBattlefield Artillery Guide Animation

These images were pulled from the Artillery Guide at PBF
                          flux
                          [tg-c1]

Comment

I guess I'm old and can't remember sh## (CRS) but wolfie you can't remember at your age you better start getting help.. :P
                            I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Comment

Originally posted by OSD
                              I guess I'm old and can't remember sh## (CRS) but wolfie you can't remember at your age you better start getting help.. :P
                              Remember what old man? Remember how to fire artillary and adjust your fire in this game even though I have never done it before? ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X