Mine Warfare and Demolition Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine Warfare and Demolition Tips

There is huge portion of this game related to simulation. In large, it is not used or implemented within game for various reasons which pertain to gaming experience and personal expectation.

The following are some observations that I have seen in both the game and real world enviroments.

LANDMINES

Landmines to be effective for the disabling of vehicles or infantry are concealed. If all landimnes, be they A/T or A/P (anti-tank or anti- pers) had neon signs indicating their position, they would be for the most part, in-effective.

Landmines are part of a battle plan. Some uses include, denying a given area or to demoralize and slow down the advancing or retreating enemy.
    Landmines layed in the open for the enemy to see are usually called nuisance minefields in that they are not characteristically referred to as a large minefield but as a tactic to slowdown the enemy who has to take the threat for what it is and utilize his logistices to include engineers in the breaching of that minefield. At best a large operation, taking time and valuable resources away from the speed of an advance or retreat.

INGAME EXAMPLE

Mines layed on the approach or exit from a bridge are effective. To be most effective just as in real life, they should at the very least, covered by a crew served weapon or mortar which has had a pre-designated firing zone already sighted for ambush or reactive fire.

If a mined obstacle or approach is not observed or covered by effective fire it enables the enemy to breach the obstacle with no casualties, and allow the advance of troops and heavy armor...which is a bad thing.

The basic concept is. Mines to be most effective should and must be covered by direct or indirect fire. Crew served weapon or artillery and mortar.

EXPLOSIVES

Just as landmines, explosives or booby-traps need to be concealed to be effective. Explosive charges layed in the open are likely to be avoided and ineffective for the most part. Explosives hidden in shrubbery, tall grass and behind natural cover can be used with devastating effect as long as the user has an LOS (line of sight) on both the target and his trap.
    The fact that explosive charages are command detonated necessitates the need for the user to have eyes on the charge.

IN GAME EXAMPLE

I have used explosive charges to great effect. But as our gaming experience evolves, we will no longer approach a flag or objective littered with C-4 charges. If layed in shrubbey or hedges the enemy will for the most part, approach an area totally oblivious to the trap and enemy soldier waiting to detonate a well placed and hidden charge. The in game C-4 is very powerful and does not need to be placed directly underneath or beside a target. Six to ten feet away is enough to take out the heaviest enemy armor be it a T-72 or Abram. Conceal your traps and observe them. Wait for the enemy to dismount and engage with small arms fire.

Between 1979 and 1989, the Soviet Union occuoied Afghanistan. The Mujahadeen would vidoe tape ambushes and send the footage back to the local press in Russia for the sole purpose of demoralizing the local populace and support for the war. Such graphic footage illustrated the effective implementation of landmines and boobytraps used together and causing mass casulaties without the firng of a single bullet.

If in game we have a specific area mined and ready for ambush, it is logical to booby-trap areas likely to be used by the enemy to obtain cover from effective fire and return fire from a protected area to try and win the fire fight.

This game is still in the early stages of both playability and the effective use of ones resources. As our skills evolve I would hope to see some tactics that benefit the gaming experience for all.

A simulation...no. The capability to allow the use of RW tactics...yes.

Again, just some points and observations that for me, have made the game more enjoyable as I can utilize tactics that I have learned and experienced in real life. Some may find this anal, I find it fun...seeya in game.

I didn't check spelling so suck it up.

;)
    "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
    "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Excelent bit of info Ryn... Thanks

Comment

So land mines affect personal? Any landmines or is there a certain class that uses them?

Great bunch of info though!

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
        So land mines affect personal? Any landmines or is there a certain class that uses them?

Great bunch of info though!
        IRL they do, and in-game only support class can remove landmines... Either way, it slows down an advance...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Asch and Flux need to be here for this, between the two of them they are the kings of blowing things up with mines and explosives.

Comment

A darn good tactic.......sneak into a enemy position, without alerting everyone and without changing the enemys flag to your color.
            Place C4 in vehs and Helos and sit back and wait. Sooner or later all the vehs will be manned and you can let em have it.

I've done this to some players before, makes me LMAO.

Good post Ryn

Comment

Originally posted by GreyMatter
              Asch and Flux need to be here for this, between the two of them they are the kings of blowing things up with mines and explosives.
              If only Asch could direct it towards the other team :P

Good stuff RYN
              flux
              [tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by flux
                Yeah, I can't help stupid people. It's not like those mines aren't visible to the blindest of people. Not to mention my teammates get this nice red/white skull popping up on their screen.

Stupid people should just die anyway.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                  Originally posted by flux
                  Yeah, I can't help stupid people. It's not like those mines aren't visible to the blindest of people. Not to mention my teammates get this nice red/white skull popping up on their screen.

Stupid people should just die anyway.
                  I love it when your own team mates get blown up by mines then yell at you for dropping them... its like "hello? Did you not see the skull and crossbones?"

Comment

Amen Ender.. Amen.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I always thought it was interesting to see teammates run over the mines I planted and those mines are usually right near the enemy spawn point that can't be captured

Comment

Haha, so true!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X