Helicopter without a tail rotor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter without a tail rotor?

How in the heck would a helicopter without a tail rotor work? I was just on EA's official BF1942 website (http://www.eagames.com/official/batt...42/us/home.jsp) and they have a graphic of german heli that has a tail flap instead of a rotor. I was under the impression that a tail rotor is needed to counteract the rotating blade...oh, wait, unless those are two blade mounts I see on top? It's kinda hard to tell by the pic.

Speaking of which, have you ever looked up exactly how a heli works? It's pretty interesting stuff. Just the idea that a blade that is turning so fast can incoporate cyclic pitch control (that is, the pitch of each blade is changed as it reaches a certain point in the rotation and then brought back to the original pitch within just a few degrees) is pretty amazing, especially considering that without cyclic pitch control all a heli is is a high-tech elevator.

[/url]
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Two rotors. They didn't have NOTAR back then.
    "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by verbose
      Two rotors. They didn't have NOTAR back then.
      LOL...Actually wouldn't two top rotors be considered No Tail Rotor?
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

Theconcept is there, one blade cancels out the other. Actuall, there is a helo made by Bell, that has no tail rotor. The exhaust is routed through a turbo then vented through ports in the tail. Just like the Harrier has in the wingtips. As the pilot needs more yaw, the gasses are vented to the appropriate nozzle.
        Find it, Sight it, Shoot it! :icon24:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X