Some suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some suggestions

I have some suggestions for our server. Feel free to discuss.

These are pretty much unrelated, but I will put them together here.

1. Go back to two rounds per map. Many people take minutes to load the maps, and by the time they get in the game, it is halfway over. Then, 2 minutes later, they need to load a new map. This will cause many players not to play here. Plus, playing the 2nd round is usually more balanced, as everyone joins at the same time.

2. Delay the game start more. See above. Sometimes people join, and half the map is already populated.

3. Put Berlin in the rotation. It is a really cool urban combat map!

4. Enemy tags are still too visible. Make the distance shorter. Often someone will be hiding in the bushes and I can see them only because of their name.

5. Shorten spawn wave times. 25 seconds is too long. Most servers have 10, perhaps we can compromise on 20.

6. PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO KEEP THE TEAMS EVEN!! Of all the servers I play on, this one surprisingly has the biggest problem with keeping the teams even. It is not at all uncommon for there to be 4+ more players on one team than the other. Even mentioning this in chat usually just gets me ignored. :( :(

That't it. I'm sure some of you have more suggestions. Post your comments on these.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Seconded. Especially the point on spawn times. It's just annoying to have to wait 30 seconds to get back in the game, and especially unfair if you have the aforementioned unbalaced teams.

Comment

Re: Some suggestions

1: Agree
      2: Agree
      3: Agree
      4: Maybe turn off for the enemy.
      5: Don't die as often. Call for medics, stay alive, this isn't CS.
      6: I just wish we could all be adults and learn to pay attention to what is going on in the game. This is not just the pubbies not paying attention.
      flux
      [tg-c1]

Comment

I agree with everything except the Spawn Wait Time...which I think can be debated and thought about some.

I guess it depends on what side you're on:

Scenario A (arguing AGAINST smaller spawn times): You're in the process of taking a flag and cleared out the last bad guy. But hold on: Before the flag turns white, you've got to deal with that same bad guy (or guys) because he just respawned (probably behind you somewhere).

Scenario B (Arguing FOR smaller spawn times): That bastard just took my spawn point and now I've got to wait 25 seconds (or whatever). Oh hell, now I've got to pick another spawn because it just went white.

I'm split. If I'm the aggressor, then I don't want the dingle-berry I just spent some time tracking down and eliminating coming back like a hero...just in the nick of time. When the gig's up, meaning everyone knows what our objective is, I really don't want all the players on their team "appearing" out of thin air for some last ditch defense. Smaller spawn times will do this, perhaps.

If I'm the defender, of course I want smaller load times. "Hey guys, everyone spawn in the north, so we can defend this thing" etc, etc.

Of course, spawn times that are < the capture wait time (20s is it?) would probably make our battles a little more focused on a specific spawn point...where everyone is trying to save/capture a flag, and will spawn in to help the fight.

How about spawn times equal to the capture wait time, or at least equal to the time it takes to turn white? At least then, we could say it was even, with no preference given either way. If the guy makes it in before it turns white, so be it. If not, they lose the point.

(Hell, I don't even know what the times are set to currently...and I trust our admins have thought through this to some degree. The point could be "moot" as it were.)
        |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

The lengthened spawn times are there to reduce idiotic behavior. If you have to WAIT to spawn, you're not going to be as likely to do something stupid involving suicide to take out an enemy. It makes you think about your life and use the appropriate resources such as health and support roles to keep yourself alive. I've honestly considered talking to the admins about making it LONGER rather than shorter.

Players coming from the realm of NS/HL will find this annoying.

Players coming from the GR,OFP,RvS world will probably find the spawn times shorter than expected.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Gee, there aren't even respawns when we play GR or RvS. I have no problems with a 30 second respawn, which is standard for Savage. I don't even notice the spawn wait most of the time. If you're getting hit soon after you spawn, take some time to think where it came from so you can clear out the area.

I agree that longer spawn times will reduce suicidal behavior. I've done suicide runs all the time like throwing a mine at a tank. I trade my life off and don't mind the wait.

Something should be done to keep the teams even. Evidently, it's not working by calling out that there are uneven teams. It happens a lot that players ignore uneven teams. Sometimes it's not obvious to players that teams are uneven and we've all got to raise our voices when teams are uneven.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I think the spawn time is fine..

Comment

I don't think longer spawn times makes one try harder to stay alive. This is a fast paced game, NOT GR or OFP. The spawn times, as it is, just serves to be an annoyance. I hate waiting 30 seconds to spawn, only to be killed by a @!#%$#!%! spawn camper and being forced to wait another 30 seconds.

Comment

A spawn isnt a safe spot, so when you spawn dont assume no body is around.

Me personally, when I spawn I either take cover or go prone.

Comment

All i'm saying is trying to make BF1942 into GR is just going to fustrate pubbies, which are our potential players.

Comment

I agree, but getting killed by a guy who you killed 5 seconds ago isnt fun.

Comment

Originally posted by MikoLovesYou
                        All i'm saying is trying to make BF1942 into GR is just going to fustrate pubbies, which are our potential players.
                        No one is trying to make BF1942 into GR. Nor are we trying to turn it into NS either. We are trying to attract MEMBERS by offering them an environment with MATURE players, offering STRATEGY and TACTICS as the methods by which we play rather than the normal public DEATHMATCH and RUN AND GUN behavior.

In short. We are not trying to make just any old public server. We are trying to make a server for people who want to slow down a bit, still play a fast paced game, and not go off the wall when they get irked at dying and have to wait 30 seconds to respawn after irresponsably taking a helicopter that they don't particularly like and using it as crashable transportation and having it fall on their heads.

I'm not sympathetic to that behavior.

On the note of GR, the way we run our servers is what attracts members, Ghost Recon is a shining example of what some structure, maturity and resources can do for a mature community. Having Battlefield 1942 follow suit is NOT something i'd consider to be a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                          Originally posted by MikoLovesYou
                          No one is trying to make BF1942 into GR. Nor are we trying to turn it into NS either. We are trying to attract MEMBERS by offering them an environment with MATURE players, offering STRATEGY and TACTICS as the methods by which we play rather than the normal public DEATHMATCH and RUN AND GUN behavior.

In short. We are not trying to make just any old public server. We are trying to make a server for people who want to slow down a bit, still play a fast paced game, and not go off the wall when they get irked at dying and have to wait 30 seconds to respawn after irresponsably taking a helicopter that they don't particularly like and using it as crashable transportation and having it fall on their heads.

I'm not sympathetic to that behavior.

On the note of GR, the way we run our servers is what attracts members, Ghost Recon is a shining example of what some structure, maturity and resources can do for a mature community. Having Battlefield 1942 follow suit is NOT something i'd consider to be a bad thing.

Crap. I just lost all of my response. Damn 4th mouse button.

Anyways, are you insinuating that I approve of aforementioned behaviors? I take offense to that. I wasn't trying to promote "Run-and-gun" behavior...I was just trying to save us some fustration. It seems that your strategic capitalization of words is attacking me, implying that I do not posses those qualities. I take offense to that.

In that light, why must every response you make to one of my ideas end up in an attack against what I say? Same thing for the Vehicle-Stealing topic. When I'm posting ideas, they're just ideas....I don't have a scheme to take down the backbone of TG's style of play. Nor do I think my ideas will have much bearing on what outsiders think of us....I'm just trying to keep the game fun.

I've been here for a while, Paul. I'm not an NS player anymore. I play almost every game on the TG network now...I think I know how every game operates for the most part. (and I take offense to you implying that I am an "NS player", anyways :P)

I'm just trying to keep the game fun for everyone. While I wouldn't mind seeing DC turn into GR (actually, for me it would be ideal....I'd love to see all of those SOP's implimented here), I think we all know that it isn't going to be that way. Every game is different. My ideas only apply to our individual style in this game, not the TG ethic in whole. I'm not trying to compromise that.

Forget I said anything about decreasing spawn times. I was just making a simple suggestion.

Comment

I'm not saying these practices are you. But these are common practices I see from the majority of public players. When you say we're going to turn off "pubbies" from wanting to play here, I'm trying to clearly show why we don't need "pubbies" here. TG has never been driven to cater to the mass public. So trying to cater to the behavior of those who really are just looking for just another public server isn't something we should really be considering at all.

When you're saying that 30 seconds is just an annoyance, it echos of run & gun philosophy. It's only 30 seconds, just be glad it's not like GR and OFP where it could be 45 minutes!

My emphasis on those words in my post are just that. They are the core of what we're here for in the first place.

I just find it amusing to see issues from NON-pubbies over something like a 30 second timer to make people think before they act. If you can come up with some sound points as to why a LESS than 30 second timer would be beneficial, as opposed to a more "OMGWTF30SEC!" approach, we might get somewhere. :-)

Comment

Good points Apo and all. Having read your reasoning, I have to say I agree with the settings as is. Thanks for the words.
                              |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X