No announcement yet.

The best sound mode: Dolby ProLogic!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best sound mode: Dolby ProLogic!

I am a huge advocate of maximizing sound quality in games. For me, being able to hear a bullet richochet past my ear and behind me or the low thump-thump-thump of a helicopter as it screams past is almost as important as getting a silky smooth framerate. If the video card is responsible for building the reality of the game, then the audio card and speakers are the glue that holds that reality together.

All this is just a prelude to explain why I've been testing various sound setups in BF1942. I've been testing to see which sound setup will give me the most immersive feeling while in combat and still be able to reproduce the ambiance--wind blowing, wood creaking, utility belt clinking--that makes up the rest of the game.

For reference, I am using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Gamers Edition with an Altec Lansing ADA890 speaker system. The 890's are a 5.1 , THX certified, 120 watt speaker system.

To date, I've tested BF1942 using Dolby Digital, Dolby Prologic, Stereo mode, and Quad mode (stereo mode with 4 speakers). Each has been tested both with and without using the Audigy's digital output port.

Far and away the best sound comes from Dolby ProLogic mode using the Audigy 2's analog output. The other modes lack the low-end punch that are particularly important in this game. I guess it really depends on how the developers code the sound subsystem, because in other games, Counter Strike, for example, Dolby Digital mode sounds better.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed