Snipers Bad???????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snipers Bad???????

I have been reading a lot of forums on sniping and the good points and bad of doing it. Most of them however, have been negative. I was on a pubbie server (plz don't punish me for it), and we were playing the Weapons Bunker map. Here is the kicker, we had 40 players. Awesome.!! This level was good on so many levels cause if you went on your own, you died. Snipers played a key roll. 1st they picked off the 50cal gunners in trucks as they approached the base so as they wouldn't mow everyone down. 2nd they conducted anti sniper patrols, (which was hard due to the fact that we had so many).
    The Coalition teams had their own snipers too. They would hunt us down as well as target our gunners at the bridge and towers. The maches were very even and the sniping was fun. Each team team had about 6 snipers and they were always with a gunner and medic. However, they were spread out a bit. Good tactics cause if you got nicked, you got healed, if you didn't have that perfect shooting possition and couldn't move, then you gunner kept the other team players moving so you could.
    You see, snipers in this game were detriment to the success of the plays on both sides. Without them, this map would have been the same old meat market shoot as you see em spawn thing. I might add that not once did the respawn areas get covered by snipers.
    We played this map 4 times with a 2-2 tie result. So the arument is still there. Are snipers important to most levels. I say yes when there is a lot of players. I find that when there is not a lot of players, most people opt for armored vehicles. But when there is more people than vehicles, shoot away. :twisted:
    Find it, Sight it, Shoot it! :icon24:

One good use for a sniper is always a spotter.. he has binocs and a scope incase anyone is looking for him....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

One good use for a sniper is always a spotter.. he has binocs and a scope incase anyone is looking for him....

The problem I find is too many people are worried about racking kills. God forbid if someone went a round with just a few kills. But what if he did, and spotted for arty or missiles or who knows what for a great many more kills. So what if they are not his. The silent guy sniper watching and spotting can be in some ways more deadly than the guy with the machine gun. Ditto DudeMan. I agree.
      Find it, Sight it, Shoot it! :icon24:

Comment

I agree with this. I dont care about how many kills I get, I care about WINNING! This is the most important thing in life!!! Well, that and pretty girls :)

Comment

Stealth and spotting is my forte - I love it :)
          Jex.

Comment

Re: Snipers Bad???????

Snipers are not bad, but they have a horrible reputation in this game because all too many times you'll see the following scenario: a team who is getting decimated, have no flags, and have half the number of tickets as the winning team and there is the jolly old sniper, laying there looking for kills not doing much of anything to help capture the flags needed to prevent his team from losing.

Snipers have their place, but more often than not I find them more of a detriment than an asset in the game for the reasons listed above. However, if you are one of those snipers who sloughs off his sniper camo to jump into the trenches to defend flags and help win when required, then you rock!

The same comments could be said about pilots. More often than not you'll see your teams tickets plummeting toward zero, and yet 4 of your teamies are cavorting around in the skies enjoying the view.

Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

like i said tywisted it depends in which role you use the snipe rin.. if you are loosing flags then get a spotter postition on centre base or the most influential. and get another in an artillery and pound the crap out of the base until your team mates arrive. fo that snipers are the best.

airplanes i agree choppers i disagree i think there is nothing more deadly thatn an apache or hind in capturiong flags.. i say as long as you are cxapturing flags or supressing the enemy armour... 1 or 2 planes is ok.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                airplanes i agree choppers i disagree i think there is nothing more deadly thatn an apache or hind in capturiong flags.. i say as long as you are cxapturing flags or supressing the enemy armour... 1 or 2 planes is ok.
                As long as it is only 1-2....if there are 5 people and there is only one groundpounder, it won't matter how many birds you have in the air, defending captured flags will be practically impossible (assuming the opponents have decent anti-air capability).

As for snipers, 1-2 is acceptable. When there are more than 2, then it is just a waste (saw one evening on DC bunkers where the coalition had 6 snipers out of 10 players and still lost).

Comment

Ideally, there would be 12 players per team with a nice balance. Say 1-2 jets, 2 helos, and the rest spread among armor and infantry. The helos provide air support for the ground units, and the jets (except for the hog) existing only to take out helos. Jets should be circling around, waiting for the 'Helicopter spotted' call, and then react instantly to that.

What typically happens, however, is that you'll see 4-5 people just waiting around the runway/airpad for and aircraft to spawn in. Then they jump into the jet and head off to the enemy spawn to bomb things; meanwhile enemy helos are tearing up ground units without resistance.

The POTENTIAL for great teamwork is in the game, but unfortunately it is rarely achieved. I think the best bet to enjoy this game correctly would be to join a clan that competes. Many of them practice together 2 times a week, and then battle other clans once a week or so. That would be nice.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Can't the amount of available roles be limited. So for instance with say, 1-10 players - 2 sniper slots are available, 10-20 - 3 spots available or whatever?
                    Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
                      Can't the amount of available roles be limited. So for instance with say, 1-10 players - 2 sniper slots are available, 10-20 - 3 spots available or whatever?
                      Unfortunately not.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse