Tweaking DC load times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaking DC load times

Someone mentioned (was it you Tempus or was it Twisted) that increasing the RAM improved load times significantly.

Well, I increased my RAM by another 512 MB and I still have slow load times (everyone else is playing while my computer is still loading the map). Looking for any ideas on how to improve my load times.

System specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (running at default of 2.08 GHz)
    NForce2 Motherboard
    1.00 GB of RAM (running at 333 clock)
    Windows XP
    ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card (latest drivers installed)
    Sound Blaster Live
    Broadband connection (Cable)

Have you tried defragging your harddrive? I keep my in tip-top shape by defragging in the wee hours every night.

I recently popped in another 512 for the gig of RAM and it load times are still quite long. They've improved but it still takes me about a minute to load up a map.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What kinda harddrive you got? RPM's? Buffer? 100/133/SATA?

I had an ATA/100 and upgraded to 133 and that helped. I also run a drive optimization (Perfect Disk) weekly.
      flux
      [tg-c1]

Comment

Yes, I was the one who mentioned it. My load times are still long, but I am usually one of the first ones in the game. I'd say it took 20 seconds or so off my load time.

One way to test how well your memory is being utilized it to see how long it takes when you press Escape or Alt-Tab when in game. It used to take many seconds for it to swap memory from the drive, but now it's nearly instantaneous.

You can do what Twisted did, which was to mount your CD on your HD, but that will only save a few seconds. Other than that, I don't know.... :(

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

My load times went from really fast in .6 to really slow in .7. When I mentioned this the other night, someone suggested a hard drive defrag, and that helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
            Yes, I was the one who mentioned it. My load times are still long, but I am usually one of the first ones in the game. I'd say it took 20 seconds or so off my load time.
            I did notice last night that my load times have gone down significantly. Don't know why it didn't do it the first night I played.

So thumbs up for the suggestion of increasing the RAM size Tempus :p

Comment

Re: Tweaking DC load times

Faster hard drive with a parition on it using NT Fat. Once this is done go into system properties and select the advanced tab then the performance button. Click and virtual memory and change the page file over to the NTFS partition that you just created. Make both the min page file size and max page file size the same.

You will never have to defrag again.

Note : partition size doesn't have to be more than 1Gb.

Comment

Since we're talking about hard drives, I assume that you've imaged the CD to the hard drive? If you still use the CD, that will slow things down. If you haven't done so already, image the BF CD to your hard drive and map that image file as a drive. This allows for faster map load times.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                  Since we're talking about hard drives, I assume that you've imaged the CD to the hard drive? If you still use the CD, that will slow things down. If you haven't done so already, image the BF CD to your hard drive and map that image file as a drive. This allows for faster map load times.
                  I have a P4 2600 Mhz
                  Radeon 9800 PRO
                  SB Audigy
                  1 GIG RAM
                  on CBL internet

It used to load slow as well. I mounted the game on my hard drive, and it cut the load time in half as well as got rid of a lot of in game lag while playing BF Vietnam. My load times now are about 10-20 seconds depending on how many PPL are on server. One thing I also did was to make sure that my antivirus and anti popup progs were turned off. It helps cause there are less progs running in the background while playing.
                  Find it, Sight it, Shoot it! :icon24:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X