Frontlines: Fuel of War impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontlines: Fuel of War impressions

Ok, I've been pretty pumped about this game since reading it in this months Game Informer, and finally screenshots today and e3 first impressions from gamespot are up today, been looking for mag scans to show people since I saw the article in GI. Since these guys made the DC mod for bf1942 and had a big hand in the development of BF2 then surely their next game Frontlines:Fuel Of War, should be an awesome game.

rest of images, http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fr...reenindex.html

And now the impressions gamespot has made so far.

LOS ANGELES--We took an up-close look at the brand-new shooter Frontlines: Fuel of War at E3. The new game is the first game for developer KAOS Studios, though technically not the first game project, since the most of the development team was part of Trauma Studios, the group that created the Desert Combat modification for Battlefield 1942 on the PC. KAOS is now working on an all-new game for the PC and next-generation consoles that will take place in a hypothetical near-future conflict based on an equally hypothetical (but depressingly possible) energy crisis caused by worldwide fuel shortages. To make a long story short, the petroleum-hungry world of tomorrow gets divvied up between two major superpowers, the Western Coalition (an alliance between the US and Europe) and the Red Star Alliance (joint forces of China and Russia), and you'll play as a soldier on either side.

According to KAOS general manager Frank DeLise, the game will attempt to distinguish itself by presenting a compelling, non-linear single-player experience. The idea is that although you'll proceed through the game by taking on various missions, you'll always have a choice about which mission to do next; and by completing your missions, you'll be able to claim more territory for your faction, advancing the frontlines (hence the game's name) further into enemy territory.

Apparently, at the start of each mission, you'll play as a soldier who is part of a fireteam, and you'll be able to choose not only a basic weapon loadout, but also a specific "role" (such as recon or assault), which will act a bit like a role-playing game character class. You'll be able to advance ranks in your role over the course of single-player missions (or during individual multiplayer sessions), which will unlock new abilities for your role; for instance, we watched a demonstration in which a recon player advanced one rank, which unlocked air strikes as a new ability (the player could then use binoculars to spot a target, then call down a bombing run).

We watched a few different missions in action, and bore witness to what DeLise describes as the game's "go anywhere, do anything mentality." Like in Battlefield 1942, in Frontlines, you'll be able to not only approach battles on foot, but also by jumping into various vehicles, and since the game takes place in a near-future environment, you'll actually be using hypothetical weapons and vehicles, such as an evolved version of the Comanche attack chopper, and fancy armament like "air-detonation" grenades that explode in mid-air and are great for flushing out opponents with a height advantage. You'll also be able to make use of other interesting toys, such as scout drones (either flying or wheeled varieties) that you can use to sneak past enemy defense and actually take active control of, or simply park in a dark corner and occasionally switch to. If you're not happy with your drone, or the enemies you're spying on, you can also have the drone going on a suicide run, charging at an enemy and detonating itself with a powerful explosion that should take down most infantry soldiers.

From the levels we saw, which included storming a small desert village and riding a tank into the fiery wake of a tactical nuclear warhead towards a mission objective, the game will offer considerable variety, not only in its mix of missions, but also in the way you can approach it. KAOS isn't discussing many details about the game's multiplayer, except that the game will support online play of some kind. Frontlines: Fuel of War is scheduled for release next year
    Full link, http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fr...ml?sid=6150459

Re: Frontlines: Fuel of War impressions

Haha, that's pretty cool. I've never even heard of this. Sounds like Soldner: Secret Wars, except this time hopefully it won't suck. The PC hasn't really had any very good "go anywhere" games; it's about time :D The only thing that looks iffy is that fat dude getting shot in some of the screenshots. I guess in the future anyone can go into combat.

Comment

I never personally played the DC mod for bf1942, but I've heard it was pretty great, so I'm giving these guys the benefit of the doubt with this game. They seem pretty capable. It goes on my "list of games to watch".

Comment

few new screens added today,

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fr...ml?sid=6153471

Comment

Two new screens posted.

Really wish they'd release more info about the game, but I'm still kinda excited about it.

Comment

New screens @ frontlineswar forums

I also keep an eye on this one Undead. Especially liked the vehicle and weapon models. That drone looks sexy :) I can picture myself sending the drone to collect intel before giving assault orders...

Comment

Yeah, they have a article in this months game informer. Gives some nice INFO. I can't wait. Its not to far into the future either, its more modern-future which is better than 2142.

Comment

Newer article over at GamesRadar.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/pc/game...22171334266004

When you spawn in Frontlines, you've got two decisions to make about what sort of character you're going to be. Your Loadout decides what set of weapons you're going to get - with Sniper, Close Combat, Special Forces and Heavy Weapons to choose from. Then there's your role - which determines what sort of extra support you can call in. As you add kills in the course of a match, you earn extra '"role points," unlocking better and better weapons - so if you keep respawning as the same character type, you'll level up faster than if you keep on switching styles.

Ground support
                The best all-purpose pick, letting you drop an array of gun emplacements. Useful when you really don't want to let go of that flag you've just spent ten minutes capturing.

Air support
                Probably the most "fun" class, which lets you drop anything from precision strikes and gunship fire to cluster bombs.. and, eventually, a tactical nuclear strike.

Drone support
                The ones with the toys - from a simple remote drone, working up to a miniature tank. Of course, while you're fiddling about with pitch and yaw, you're vulnerable from behind.

Counter measures
                Counter measures players get warned about incoming missiles or drones, and can set off chaff or EMP blasts to nullify them. You'll want one of these boys if you're in a tank or chopper.

Comment

IGN.com Frontlines: Fuel of War Hands-on Article

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/769/769154p1.html
                  [TG-5th JTF] LuNiSiCx
                  5th Joint Task Force

[squadl]
                  [ma-c1][ma-c2]

Comment

Maybe still early to talk but I am not impressed by the videos... It looks like Unreal Tournament.

Comment

That video wasn't that great, I agree on that.

Comment

Interesting video, no gameplay. Just part of the story of the game, and perhaps real life.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24050.html

Comment

beta is out on Fileplanet....get it while its hot! 1.82 GB...pretty big

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                            I never personally played the DC mod for bf1942, but I've heard it was pretty great.....
                            OH MY GOD... That is worst news I have ever heard lol... I like PoE2.. But DC was the reason bf1942 was so popular for so many years, people are still playing it.. TONS of maps were made for it.. I played DC straight on through the whole Vietnam period (bought it,but never really got into it) to the release of BF2.

To this day more people play 1942 than Vietnam.. Well, more people play BF2 than 2142 already...http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

DC is so good that DICE hired Frank Delise (the guy who made DC), him and his mod team then created most of BF2 for DICE and did the beginning of 2142 before quitting DICE and going to start his own studio KAOS to start FRONTLINES... This game should be great(crosses fingers).
                            See more of Frontlines here... http://www.frontlinesgame.com/

Im DLing the beta as I type this(4 more hours of DL)... Will report back tomorrow night with SS(if possible).
                            theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                            E Pluribus Unum
                            Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                            Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

I'm downloading it now, I've been hoping this would be a BF killer. I wish I would of started this hour earlier, I never get full speeds from FP anymore, no idea why.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X