Kuma War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuma War

Anyone here signed up for this one? If so, what's your take on it?

Checking their website (www.kumawar.com), it seems to be a First Person Shooter organized around a 4 person team. It bases its downloadable missions on "real world" conflicts (Afghanistan, Iraq) and posts new missions to be downloaded and played...SP, MP-Coop, or MP-Adversarial. To get the Beta version, you have a be a File Planet subcriber :icon9:

It's an interesting idea. No word on ultimately what they may charge for getting missions from them. Screenies look to be "OK" but not spectacular.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Kuma War

I read something about this a while back...

seems the military will be able to send out many missions for the gaming world to attempt, and then use that knowledge to more effectively plan for real world missions..

Or this might be something different, but it sounds the same.....

I'll read more..

Comment

Saw something about this on Tech TV a few weeks ago.
      "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-

Comment

I dunno about this. If I had been in a conflict and had some of my friends killed and then they sold it as a video game I'd be pretty disgruntled personally. This to me is just one step away from the colisseum. Playing games set in a fantasy environment for me is enough.
        Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
          I dunno about this. If I had been in a conflict and had some of my friends killed and then they sold it as a video game I'd be pretty disgruntled personally. This to me is just one step away from the colisseum. Playing games set in a fantasy environment for me is enough.
          yeah, that was the sentiment I remember reading about...

On the flip side though, what if they learned something about mission characteristics based on the way you played the game, they adjusted their plan, and saved your buddies life?

Touchy issue.

We'll see how it plays out..

Comment

I don't see how a bunch of kids playing a computer game are going to add to a tactical advantage on the battlefield other than the US army will have to find a way to turn on respawns lol

This is also past missions. No two missions are ever the same and PC gamers aren't exactly hardened war vets.
            Jex.

Comment

I think this is very interesting. They release video footage and other goodies for briefing. It's a good primer to what the conflict is about and maybe we'll learn why it started and the reasons these actions were used to resolve the situation.

For teaching purposes, it does train you to respond in a certain way to conflicts almost like all wargames do. It's not the fact that the game isn't realistic but the point is training your mind to react with the best action for the situation. There isn't a specific training for that except going over exercises but keeping them varied enough that the soldier can react well to anything.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
                PC gamers aren't exactly hardened war vets.
                You're not military, are you?

Comment

Used to be but even if I wasn't, would my statement be any more right or wrong? As I have been, does that make my statement more valid over someone who hasn't say?

I can only assume you disagree with that and think that PC gaming is in some way similar to real life? Your post is very open to interpretation - what are you getting at?

Thanks,
                  Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
                    Your post is very open to interpretation - what are you getting at?
                    Well, "hardened war vets" are made out of scared little kids. In general, with the exception of perhaps a little intestinal fortitude and a few months of training, the soldiers out in the field are no different from your average PC gamer.

Sorry if I came off as being offensive. I'm not saying that games are anything at all like real war, but that doesn't mean that we can't learn from them.

Comment

The only difference between a soldier and a gamer is a soldier learns how to use a weapon and a gamer learns how to use a controller. The tactics may not be similar but the goals are. Both want to win the battle/game. I believe as a strategic gamer that tactics are important but is only half of winning. The other part is responding to unknown situations effectively. Gamers want to outthink each other just like soldiers do on the battlefield. It's never about using your training to the T. It's about surviving and getting the job done. I believe a gamer can successfully transition into a good soldier because a good gamer must think fast. That skill is difficult to be taught and is gained over time. Trying to gain that experience on the battlefield can cost you your life.

Comment

No you didn't come off as being offensive - just a little vague lol. It takes more than a few months of training to turn your average soldier into a battle hardened war vet too. Comparing PC games of warfare to the real thing is like comparing flight sims to the real thing. The two are worlds apart.

Soldiers come under live fire for one - gamers do not. Therefore the tactics applied between the two take on completely different roles. Games also have defined combat area's, real life doesn't. I agree that somethings can come across but I don't see much if any value in teaching soldiers combat tactics that they wouldn't learn in the field.

Experience is the far bigger teacher and you won't get that from playing a game. Considering your life is also at risk here, I'd rather have the hands on training. When doing my FIBUA (Fighting in built up areas) training there is no game that would ever have taught me the clostraphobic (sp) feeling you have, nor the sound of a rifle round (or flash Bang) going off in an enclosed space, etc

I hope this isn't going to replace proper training for troops.
                        Jex.

Comment

It would be foolish to replace regular training with computer simulations. It wouldn't be the same and could never teach some things real experience gives. There are still merits with computer simulations such as focusing on specific aspects such as commanding, tactics and improvisation. Give a player an RTS game and see how well he can command and multi-task. Give a gamer a tactical shooter and see her develop tactics to gain ground without worrying about dying. Give anybody a new game and see how fast skills and tactics can be developed. These are training exercises that can be done much easier and cheaper than real life training. Because games can have respawns, it doesn't mean it can't be a learning tool. It may not recreate real life accurately but it can focus on key aspects of combat.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
                            I hope this isn't going to replace proper training for troops.
                            No, but people's reactions to new and unique simulated situations would make for some very useful research.

Who ever thought that terrorists would use huge passenger planes as terrifying weapons of destruction? Do you think that a PC gamer might have tried that in game? I can think of several games in which the vehicles themselves are used as weapons by the desperate or unskilled. Maybe if the right people had been studying the right PC gamers, those September attacks would've been a bit easier to prevent?

Comment

Originally posted by beep
                              Anyone here signed up for this one? If so, what's your take on it?
                              Man, I'm not a big fan of single player or co-op games, but if you never play the same mission twice, this just may be a hit! I like the idea of them constantly updating the missions. The fact that their missions are based on real life doesn't do anything for me, but I don't really care either way...

I'm gonna try out the free trial after the TG Battlefield Tournament...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X