Mouse or Joystick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse or Joystick?

How many of you use something other than the mouse to fly (planes,helis)?

i for one use the mouse/keyboard combination

i was wondering if it is worth trying a joystick...

Re: Mouse or Joystick?

I'm no ace like many around here, but I was much worse until I loaded up the Joystick and got a little practice in. I probably doubled the practice with mouse and keyboard and still crashed more than I flew. Now I'm able to stay in the air even if I can't shoot anything down!

Comment

It's easier to fly planes with a joystick. For helos, it's just hard and I refuse to spend hours practicing when I can jump on the server and still have fun.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by billybob
        How many of you use something other than the mouse to fly (planes,helis)?

i for one use the mouse/keyboard combination

i was wondering if it is worth trying a joystick...
        If it helps keeping you out of enemy spawn points, get a joystick! :-)

But in all seriousness.. It should help you a LOT if you get one. Flying becomes a lot easier and your skills should improve quite a bit..

I use the MS Sidewinder Precision 2 and love it.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I use keyboard... but to each there own...

Comment

I used to ask this question myself. But after starting to use joysticks, I'd have to say that they are a must.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I had never flown in any sort of flight sim at all before this. Never owned a joystick. Taught myself to fly choppers and fast-movers with mouse and keyboard. I was good enough to use them as taxis to get to flags, but I wasn't much of an offensive asset.

So, I got the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I started using it and I was much worse than I was with a mouse and keyboard. But I stuck with it. I could tell that it was going to be easier to fly planes because I didn't have to constantly re-center the mouse. Anyway, within about a week, I got used to the joystick and I started really improving past the point I was with mouse and keyboard.

I would say that most people would benefit from learning to play with a joystick. And I would recommend the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro as a good first joystick.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                I used to ask this question myself. But after starting to use joysticks, I'd have to say that they are a must.

Agreed. :icon14:
                "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
                "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                  If it helps keeping you out of enemy spawn points, get a joystick! :-)

Im still working on that sorry.....

hmm....

i might have to go out and buy a joystick and try it.... And if i dont like it i can always go back to my mouse/keyboard combo...

Comment

Originally posted by billybob
                    Im still working on that sorry.....

hmm....

i might have to go out and buy a joystick and try it.... And if i dont like it i can always go back to my mouse/keyboard combo...
                    Pick one up, billybob.. You really won't regret it..
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I use my joystick only for planes. mouse/keyboard for helos. I got a Saitek CYBORG EVO. Great stick for about $40

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cyborg_evo.htm

Comment

Joy Stick and I have used a gamepad also.. I use the joy stick to fly and to also guide my missles when I launch them...

I wish someone would get the hat switch functioning it would help with the change view thingy......

Oh yea and the BIkinis are.............. wait a minute there is no reason to upset RYN with details......your missing out Bub!!!!! :icon20:
                        Last edited by OSD; 03-08-2004, 07:46 AM.
                        I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Comment

i am not qualified to answer this question i only ever use a joystick to fly.... cant even imagine using a keyboard and mouse.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Well, I spent most of yesterday using a mouse and improved a lot, but last night I switched to a joystick. It took a LOT of practice for me to get comfortable with a joystick, but now that I'm getting a little more comfortable I can do a lot more and still maintain control (usually).
                            [volun]

Comment

I tried the Joystick, definitely much better than keyboard only or keyboard/mouse combo. However, what I do is to use keyboard/joystick combo, with left hand taking care of the 'WADS', instead of completely relying on joystick. Just curious about what other pilots usually use. Is the throttle control on joystick that important? To me, I just tap the 'W' key when I want to slow down. If you use joystick only, how do you take care of the turning keys 'A' and 'D'? These keys are the my most crucial controls when it comes to fine adjusting my aim.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X