nVidia Driver Updates..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nVidia Driver Updates..

If any of you are running nVidia cards, save yourself a step and make sure you update your drivers from http://www.nvidia.com before you start playing.

It'll just save you a little bit of aggrivation.. :-)

And don't install all the goodies unless you plan to use them. It can take up quite a bit of space and takes forever.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: nVidia Driver Updates..

Haven't tried it myself but a friend of mine got better performance out of the drivers supplied with the Vietnam CD's. He had the latest from nvidia but then on a hunch uninstalled them and installed the ones on the BF:V cd and squeezed out a few more fps.

But you know one of the two of the co's are working on this.
    flux
    [tg-c1]

Comment

I have the latest nVidia drivers and had everything cranked up to the max in BFV. I'll have to check my frame rate but it was definitely better than other stories I've heard. I was playing single player with AI turned up with 20 bots. Only had minor lag during heavy action.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flux
        Haven't tried it myself but a friend of mine got better performance out of the drivers supplied with the Vietnam CD's. He had the latest from nvidia but then on a hunch uninstalled them and installed the ones on the BF:V cd and squeezed out a few more fps.

But you know one of the two of the co's are working on this.
        correction, we now think this was due to the fact that the first upgrade he did not uninstall the old drivers first. nvidia suggest you uninstall the old drivers before upgrading. so i uninstalled and upgraded to the latest and this seemed to help my fps.
        flux
        [tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by flux
          correction, we now think this was due to the fact that the first upgrade he did not uninstall the old drivers first. nvidia suggest you uninstall the old drivers before upgrading. so i uninstalled and upgraded to the latest and this seemed to help my fps.
          That was me who forgot to uninstall. Here's the setting tweaks I've made so far:

Sysspecs:
          AMD 2500+ oc'd to 2.3ghz
          1 gb pc2700
          GeForce 5200 256mb
          Audigy Platinum

System Tweaks:
          BIOS setting: AGP Apeture size down to 8mb
          Nvidia 56.64 (latest) drivers
          AA - OFF
          Antriscopic filtering - OFF
          VSync - OFF

In Game:
          CON files settings:
          soundbuffersize set to 1000
          allowallrefreshreates (or whatever that one is) set to 1
          options:
          32 sound channels
          InGame Music off
          all graphic settings to medium
          light map - OFF
          shadows - ON
          running 800x600 70

I get a consistant 40 - 50 fps average on most maps with a spike as high as 150 at times and as low as 15-20 depending on what's going on. With my system specs I should be getting better performance, I can't wait till the first patch comes out.
          Last edited by wickerman; 03-21-2004, 01:09 PM.

Comment

To follow up with wickerman (glad to see you finally joined the forums!), here are my specs...

Sysspecs:
            AMD 2500+ oc'd to 2.2ghz
            5/12 MB pc3200
            GeForce 5700 128mb
            on-board sound

System Tweaks:
            Nvidia 56.64 (latest) drivers
            AA - application control
            Antriscopic filtering - application control
            VSync - application control

In Game:
            CON files settings:
            soundbuffersize set to 1000
            allowallrefreshreates (or whatever that one is) set to 1
            options:
            max sound channels
            InGame Music off
            all graphic settings to high
            light map - ON
            shadows - ON
            running 1024x768x32 60 (LCD Panel Display)

Most maps I'm around 40-80 fps with these settings. City maps tend to drop towards the lower end. If I drop in-game settings closer to what wickerman has I receive on average 80fps and drop to 40-50 fps on city maps.

To me it looks like the video card makes a drastic difference with BFV. I may eventually up to 1 GB RAM and see what difference that makes.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

For those looking for more memory... here's a sweet deal of 256 MB RAM pc2700 for $5 after rebates. Not sure how long it will last.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

asch, turn vsync and aa off - that might actually help with you city performance. Also, try the agp apeture thing. I read that on some forum and was skeptical but it seemed to at least help level out my framrate variance.
                Last edited by wickerman; 03-22-2004, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wickerman
                  asch, turn vsync and aa off - that might actually help with you city performance. Also, try the agp apeture thing. I read that on some forum and was skeptical but it seemed to at least help level out my framrate variance.
                  you sure about that aperture size setting? my bios doesn't even go that low. also are you testing these framerates in single player? if so what do you have the AI settings at?

the only thing i can think reducing the AGP Aperture Size is doing is allowing for more memory for things like AI. or maybe the game is detecting how much memory is available to your graphics card and adjusting the Level of Detail dynamically based on this? seems a bit odd.

oh, i just noticed that you said it only helped with the variance in framerate. so maybe it does have something to do with the game needing more memory for things other than graphics during certain moments. i would still try at least a 16MB AGP Aperture.

oh, and welcome to TG :icon7:
                  flux
                  [tg-c1]

Comment

All of my tests were done in single player with 10 bots but the results have been consistent in online play. I played about 6 hours yesterday online and only had minor issues with video lag, which was a substantial improvement over last week's testing online.

I have the settings tweaked to where the game is playable and still has an acceptable level of detail. I still think that with the first patch there will be some improvements (as there were with BF42).

Thanks for the welcome. I'm old and slow to switch to new things :icon19:
                    (thought you were supposed to be home "sick" today - is it a case of "jungle" fever? :icon_lol: )

Comment

Just updated my vid card to the 5700 Ultra and WOW!

40-140 fps with EVERYTHING (including sound) and the highest quality setting. 1024x768 70 resolution. I couldn't be happier!

Comment

nVidia released their 56.72 drivers today.
                        |TG-12th| asch
                        sigpic

Comment

Barely noticeable improvement, although the FPS fluctuation didn't seem to be as bad. Don't forget to uninstall first :icon_roll

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X