The Ship?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ship?

I think this game sounds like an immense amount of fun with the right people. We have a lot of the right people here. hmmm?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/theship/review.html

Re: The Ship?

I think there were a few people interested in it. It sounds pretty neat, and unique.

Comment

I have the game. There isn't much of a tactical element to it when it comes to teamwork as your solo throughout the game.

Comment

Yeah, you can't work as a team since the whole idea is killing and treachery and deception, but like you said with a good group of people the game is much more fun. I haven't bought the retail version yet (I might wait for a demo or just hold off until I forget about it/cave in) but the mod version was tons of fun.

Comment

It looks like it might be fun, but its so different from anything I've played before that I'm going to wait for a demo before I buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish
            It looks like it might be fun, but its so different from anything I've played before that I'm going to wait for a demo before I buy it.
            Me too. It sounds like a LOT of fun, but other games have burned me with good marketing before, so I'll wait to try it out before buying it...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

All good points. I will be waiting for a demo then.

Comment

There's been word on the Steam forums of an upcoming "free weekend" sort of thing with this game.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Someone recommended this game to me so I tried it out last night (by try it out I mean I bought it solely for the purpose of checking it out).

I'm glad I checked it out. It's a toy of a game - easy to hop in, have fun, and leave whenever. It is not tactical at all, in fact it's quite the opposite - most of the time you actually see your executioner coming and it becomes a matter of trying to evade them, or perhaps walk into a bank where there's a security camera bearing down. Once you get the hang of it, it's good plain fun.

The most interesting part of this game is because of this non-tactical aspect - it actually becomes somewhat tactical. Let me explain. Because you get regular updates as to the location of your quarry (your target), you can usually track them down without too much difficulty. If you spot them in a public area, where there are cameras or guards, you can't just whip out the axe and let them have it. You have to wait - you need them to move to a more discrete location. This is where the most curious - and almost tactical - aspect of the game presents itself. The players are paranoid because anyone could be a killer. If you walk up to your quarry and act suspiciously, you can bet they won't leave the watchful eye of that camera. So it then becomes a game of you, the killer, somehow convincing your prey that you aren't trying to kill them. Eventually it becomes a cat and mouse game, where you 'tail' your quarry discretely until they enter a more killable area. Once I got the hang of this, the game became very fun.

The only annoyances are the 'needs' - where you have to eat, go to the bathroom, rest, etc - on a regular basis. You get used to it.

The other issue is that this game is way under-rated and underplayed. I only found two servers last night that had people on them. All the rest had bots, which simply is not fun. Regardless, the server I joined had 12 players who were really enjoying themselves.

If you have time to play around with this toy of a game, I recommend it!

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post

The only annoyances are the 'needs' - where you have to eat, go to the bathroom, rest, etc - on a regular basis. You get used to it.

i

Sounds like alot of work. But it looks like a fun game:) thanks for the detailed infor!
                    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                      Sounds like alot of work.
                      It's actually not that bad. If you get thrown in jail (usually about a 30 second penalty), you can take care of most of your needs right there - free food, drink, a toilet, a bed, and sink. You can usually go about 2 rounds before you need to deal with a need.

Also, there are portable need helpers, like snacks and drinks (from vending machines) and even pee and poo catheter bags from the sickbay, allowing you to go on the run!

You also have to realize that the needs help trip you up - not a great thing for you as prey, but a good thing for you as a hunter. The first time you kill someone while they are on the can, well, that's pretty darn fun, especially if you set them on fire with a flare gun :)

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                        The first time you kill someone while they are on the can, well, that's pretty darn fun, especially if you set them on fire with a flare gun :)
                        lmao...that is great. I just might have to try it out for that reason alone!
                        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Yeah, I think I might get it, too!
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

If anything, this game is a fun little break from the typical FPS - the entire idea of it is fantastic, and it truly is fun to have to track down your prey and kill them. Don't expect it to be that easy, however, because you will be filled with plenty of parnoia about your own well being!

Comment

I am seriously having fun with this game. Last night I did a short round after playing on the BF2 PoE server.

This game gets really fun when you start to apply strategy in maintaining cover while you're stalking someone. I'll give an example:

I finally track down my quarry and they are in a public area, under the watchful eye of a guard. They know they're safe, but they are still scanning the room to see who might be looking at them. I keep my distance, maybe have a seat or read a magazine, but make sure I still have them in view. I see them duck out, maybe to go to the bathroom, headed down a corridor. I know that if I take off after them, they'll see me coming and further confirm their suspicions. So I casually enter the same corridor from a different entryway. I see that they're headed for the ATM or the night-deposit box - going to to some banking. I check overhead for cameras - it's looking the other way, so I whip out an axe and kill them just as they are putting money in the deposit box. Then I steal their wallet. Cha-ching!

Now, on the flip side of this story is what happens when you are too obvious. They figure out that you're hunting them, and they just sit out the round in a safe spot where you cannot kill them. The most frustrating example of this was when I found my quarry in a bathroom stall, and he forcefully put himself in front of the door so I could not open it and kill him. I smashed and smashed at the door, but he would not come out. He survived, and the round restarted.

Another outcome is this - my quarry sees me coming and is heads for a dead-end. I pull out my axe, ready to whack, and they pull out a tommygun, killing me before I can reach them. Killing in self-defense is legal. They beat me with a range weapon. And then they took my wallet.

Perhaps I should have not pulled my weapon, therefore defeating the self-defense option, and instead aimed to push them over the railing of the ship (something I have yet to pull off).

You can see that there are many interesting elements to this game. For $20, this is a fun one. I feel like it's underrated, so I'm promoting it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X