New Half Life 2: Episode 2 Videos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Half Life 2: Episode 2 Videos

Some great new videos. Man, it's looking cool!

IGN: Half-Life 2: Episode Two Trailer, Videos and Movies
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: New Half Life 2: Episode 2 Videos

My problem with the Episodes is that they seem to be breaking from that whole perspective thing. A really neat thing about HL1 and HL2 was that the entire story was told from Gordan's PoV. He knew nothing you didn't, you knew nothing he didn't. Episode one did a minor break in the very beginning (the part with Alyx not dieing). It would have imo been much stronger if they had just cut that out, and let the player infer what happened from her own version of how she lived.

In the trailers, I'm see several situations that they'll have trouble keeping first person with, such as the beginning of the new trailer with Alyx, and the part with Dog.

Comment

Wait, what? Episode One started where HL2 left off. Gordon saw what happened. He was up there on the citadel with Alyx. Valve has never broken the PoV.

Comment

At the end of HL2, Gordan was transported away with Alyx still there. At the beginning of Episode 1, after Gordan has already been put back into storage, the game starts while viewing Alyx get saved. You mean to say that Gordan left Alyx, then was brought back to her, then the G-Man brought him back to storage again, but didn't see what happened to Alyx?

Comment

He wasn't transported anywhere. Everything faded to black, and the G-Man talked to you then he walked away. Episode 1 started with you stuck in the time warp, which the vortigaunts broke.

Comment

whatever...this game is gonna rock.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu View Post
              He wasn't transported anywhere. Everything faded to black, and the G-Man talked to you then he walked away. Episode 1 started with you stuck in the time warp, which the vortigaunts broke.
              G-Man definately put you into stasis. Otherwise, that meant that he was planning for you to die in the explosian, and that is not the case. He was coming to get you for his own purposes in Episode 1 when the vortigaunts intervened.

If Gordan had been there, wouldn't Alyx have seen him? Wouldn't the vortigaunts have saved him there?

Comment

I think it's very clear what happened. You and Alyx were trapped in no-time at the top of the Citadel. The vortigaunts pop in and save Alyx (she only has fragments of that memory, she talks about it in Episode 1). Time resumes, and as things explode you get sucked into the void that the G-Man is hanging out in. He comes and is about to talk to you, but then the vorts intervene and pull you out, too.

Comment

Except that at the end of HL2, Gordan is clearly taken away from Alyx. He is not there to witness her being saved.

Anyway, I got into this with someone on another board, and the solution they offered was that as Gordan gets pulled out of stasis, bits of stuff fly by, and it zooms up to Alyx, which implies that Gordan is viewing it as he gets pulled back out of stasis. But I still dislike the scene, just because it's much more of a 'cuscene' affair, and the Half Life series has typically been about letting you find the story through implication than the story being told to you.

Comment

Well, Half-Life 2 also started out with a cutscene, if that's what we're calling these.

Comment

The "cutscene" starting HL2 was simply the G-Man talking to you. This was a cutscene where something of significance was blatantly displayed.

*Spoilers*

Here's a way of explaining what happened to Alyx that is already in the game, and is more show than tell: You get rescued by Vortigaunts, and get dug out of the rubble by Dog and Alyx. You see Alyx alive, and are surprised. She mentions that she doesn't know how she lived, except that she just heard Vortigaunts. The player should be able to put two and two together, realizing that the Vortigaunts also saved Alyx.

You have now told part of the story in the way that the Half Life series is famed for telling it's story, without leaving holes or confusion.

Comment

You're poking plot holes in places that tehre aren't any. Gordon was at the top of the Citadel. That's where he was at the end of Half-Life 2, and that's where he was at the beginning of Episode 1. If you play them back to back it's a perfectly natural transition.

Comment

... HL2 plain does not end with Gordan at the top of the Citadel. The fade to black vortex with lights streaming past is Gordan in stasis. I don't know how you got some other idea. G-Man was putting him into storage for some other happening. He was obviously about to retrieve Gordan out of stasis for that unknown purpose when the vortigaunts interrupted.

And I'm not saying its a plot hole. I'm saying that its vague and out of line with HL's previous method of getting across story.

Comment

I thought the fade to black was just the place the G-Man took him so they could have a little chat. As far as I was concerned, Gordon's body was still chilling at the Citadel while the G-Man was talking with him in nowhere land.

Comment

At the end of HL1 you agreed to be enlisted by the G-Man. He put you into stasis (a black tunnel with lights streaming past) until HL2, when he pulled you out. At the end of HL2, Breen and G-Man made comments to the end that you were being contracted out to various places, and that you were a strong asset. So at the end of HL2, with an explosion pending, G-Man would probably want to put you back into Stasis, out of harms way.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X