This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A change in the rules?

I was playing DC on the server tonight and flew over a base and dropped a bomb on a plane. Happened to kill Paradox as he was getting in it.... and was promptly kicked.

This has been ok before. Rule #1 on the server was "Stay out of uncapturable bases". Now, in the past I've played on the server and flyovers were OK. I recall specifically seeing "flyovers allowed" or something like that at one point.

Now, when I jumped back on I asked why I was kicked and then said it would be nice to get a warning before hand. And Paradox replied "Be glad I didn't ban you"

I was about to officially join and pay the monthly membership. I have a couple of good friends who are members and the group seemed to be mature but if that is the type of behaviour the admins exhibit I won't be joining.

Re: A change in the rules?

The rules have not changed they were made easier to understand. You didn't FLY OVER our base you BOMBED it. There is a difference. I or any other admin should not have to remind you or any of the regular players of the rules. You play here often and know the rules of the server.

Comment

The only time a flyover is authorized is when the enemy is utilizing longrange artillery either as an indirect or direct fire weapon. In no way shape or form is bombing a base for the hell of it allowed. It's quite clear and I don't really see where it can be misinterpreted otherwise?

You flew over, bombed him as he was getting in a plane and were kicked. I don't see the problem. And it was not "OK" in the past. Maybe you witnessed someone taking out enemy artillery within the confines of the base and did not understand the concept in the past.

However, I have seen you play before and you are not new to the server and it's rules. Rule # 1 clearly states to stay out of enemy bases. It comes up on "ingame text" quite often.

Seems you are the only one who has a problem with that.....all TG players however, do not.
      I'm low on the totem pole here at TG, but I am still disappointed you would play elsewhere because you broke a rule.

If you don't like the server...there are plenty more around...and for free too!! But in this community we have rules and guidelines that we feel, enable a more mature gaming enviroment for all involved. Maybe your post should state that you do not wish to be a part of a mature gaming enviroment?

All in all, my take is: You broke a rule. You know/knew the rules. You now want to play elsewhere.

Really ain't much more to it than that. :icon13:
      "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
      "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Comment

I've played before and seen several people bombing bases and not getting kicked OR warned. I assumed it was not a problem and if it was I would at least get a warning and not some lame "you were lucky I didn't ban you" when I asked nicely why I was kicked without a warning. I did it ONCE and was kicked immediately. No warning. No nothing. And when I asked why I got a smart ass answer.

And how is "Stay out of uncapturable bases" easy to understand? "No bombing of uncapturable bases" would be VERY obvious. I wasn't in the base. I wasn't camping the base. "Easy to understand" would also be warning someone.

I'm not complaining about the rule. I'm complaining about the administration of it. If you'd warned me instead of kicking I would have apologized and not done it again.

And since you know I've played before you know that had I known the rule I wouldn't have done it. The kick was unnessecary, whether you'll admit it or not.

Comment

It seems to me that a kick without a warning or explanation is counter-productive. There are people who simply do not know the rules as exactly as we do. Just kicking them will not educate them, and will certainly not help to bring them back.

Just my $.02.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
            It seems to me that a kick without a warning or explanation is counter-productive. There are people who simply do not know the rules as exactly as we do. Just kicking them will not educate them, and will certainly not help to bring them back.

Just my $.02.
            He plays here often and he knows the rules. Thats why he didn't get a warning. As for my comment about not banning him. I usually ban repeat offenders no questions asked.
            Last edited by +PARADOX+; 03-31-2004, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wickerman
              I've played before and seen several people bombing bases and not getting kicked OR warned. I assumed it was not a problem and if it was I would at least get a warning and not some lame "you were lucky I didn't ban you" when I asked nicely why I was kicked without a warning. I did it ONCE and was kicked immediately. No warning. No nothing. And when I asked why I got a smart ass answer.

And how is "Stay out of uncapturable bases" easy to understand? "No bombing of uncapturable bases" would be VERY obvious. I wasn't in the base. I wasn't camping the base. "Easy to understand" would also be warning someone.

I'm not complaining about the rule. I'm complaining about the administration of it. If you'd warned me instead of kicking I would have apologized and not done it again.

And since you know I've played before you know that had I known the rule I wouldn't have done it. The kick was unnessecary, whether you'll admit it or not.
              Ya know, I feel really silly for doing this but, Wahhhhhhhhh. Comon mate get over it and we'll see you in game. It's all good training. :p
              "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
              "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Comment

Wasn't there supposed to be a post explaining in detail each rule? I'm still unclear on many rules and I can't remember them all since I don't play every night.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

And when I asked why I got a smart ass answer?
                  You could have used a different phrase. This is VERY OFFENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And how is "Stay out of uncapturable bases" easy to understand?
                  VERY SIMPLE - STAY OUT, meaning don't come in, over, through, bomb, parachute in.....anything alse

And since you know I've played before you know that had I known the rule I wouldn't have done it.
                  I personally haven't played any games with you nor have I seen you online BUT some of us have and to me IF YOU have played before then YOU HAVE SEEN THE RULES and you should know better.

I'm complaining about the administration of it.
                  Instead of whinning about it on the forums, Why didn't you ask to talk to another admin of the game and get his/her perspective. I personally believe the rules are CRYSTAL CLEAR but do agree that a warning SHOULD be give along with explanation on the 1st infraction, 2nd infraction should be kicked with explanation again with the warning that if it happens again that you will be BANNED.

Just my .02 cents worth

Comment

Ok.. heres the deal.. From what I have heard about this... Paradox had seen the person in this instance violate the rules on more than one occation... When someone on the server violates a rule in more than one occation they are banned... No questions asked..

Also I can say that in some occations depending on the offence of the player... I have seen admins instaban people... So I would have to say ya.. your lucky you wernt banned...

Also just a reminder... TG members "friends" that join the servers.. do not make them exempt from following the rules..

Rules were violated and the Admin acting within his scope of athority. I support the action of the Admin and close by saying that if you have a problem with an admin of a game please take it too them privately. If you dont get results there take it too the Game Officer or a member of TG Staff. If you have further problems send an email to [email protected]

Anything further to discuss about this can be discussed with myself or Cingular via PM.
                    Last edited by FireMarshal; 04-01-2004, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Here's the last post on this issue. It's gotten too emotional and that's not good when trying to discuss something like this.

First of all, breaking the rules is justification for a kick. Period. Yes, all of the admins will try to issue warnings first, but that's not going to happen if a kick is necessary to keep someone from breaking the rules again.

Secondly, I'm sorry that I haven't gotten the rules organized and posted the way they should be. I've been really busy with work and just haven't had the time. I apologize.

Wickerman, you're not banned. A kick is merely a tool that the admins have to get you to pay attention. I have taken note of the fact that you have been warned about this sort of thing in the past. Just because you see other people getting away with something doesn't mean it's acceptable. We can't have admins on the server 24/7 and even when they are on, they can't see everything that happens. We do our best to ensure that our server is fun to play on and fits in with the TG style of play. In the future, this sort of issue (personal problems with rules or admins) should be addressed privately and NOT in a public forum. They simply cause too much trouble when they're usually easily explained in a one-on-one conversation with an admin.

I hope this addresses the issues that have been brought up here. If it doesn't, please, feel free to PM the admin that you most feel comfortable dealing with. I hate to see people not enjoying our server and all of the admins will do whatever possible to ensure our forum is fun to play on.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I was playing DC on the server tonight and flew over a base and dropped a bomb on a plane. Happened to kill Paradox as he was getting in it.... and was promptly kicked.

This has been ok before. Rule #1 on the server was "Stay out of uncapturable bases". Now, in the past I've played on the server and flyovers were OK. I recall specifically seeing "flyovers allowed" or something like that at one point.

Now, when I jumped back on I asked why I was kicked and then said it would be nice to get a warning before hand. And Paradox replied "Be glad I didn't ban you"

I was about to officially join and pay the monthly membership. I have a couple of good friends who are members and the group seemed to be mature but if that is the type of behaviour the admins exhibit I won't be joining.
                        I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I hope you can understand that everyone that plays on our server is pretty much "anonymous" unless they are active members in the forums. When admins see players violating rules it's hard to tell if they are normal "pubbies" or someone sincere in playing the game that might just not understand.

They might have warned you and you missed it, it's possible, but I'm not sure.

I think this brings up two points. What would be a better way of us clarifying or announcing the rules so they are more apparent? And we should draft up an admin standard regarding the appropriate procedure for kicking and banning a player, including the method in which we warn them first.

I do hope you'll come play with us again though!
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X