Painkiller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painkiller

Just goes to show that an impressive game engine does not make for a good game. I played the demo of Painkiller for a bit this weekend cause I had an itch to play around with their use of the Havoc engine and check out their sweet graphics engine.

This game is very pretty and the cloth effects are very nice. I wasn't too impressed with all of the physics, like barrels not rolling down hill, but you definitely get a more realistic world with what they have implemented. In one section I was able to push a barrel under a plank pushing the plank up on the end that was touching the ground. I then blew up the barrel which sent that end of the plank flying up. And the fact that I get all of that and good frame rates is pretty impressive.

Now as cool as the game looks and feels I'd have to say it isn't a great game. I felt the same way when I played Serious Sam for the first time. Sure it looks good and has some cool stuff but the playability of it just isn't there. Given I only played the first two levels of the demo, but they were very linear. They were so linear that they went so far as to lock you into a small section of the city until you killed all the demons at which point the gates opened to the next section. Was there some Uber Demon watching saying "you are worthy, move on"?

If you are curious to see some cool graphics and the Havoc engine in use check the demo out, but I wouldn't expect any replayability (at least in the first couple of levels).
    flux
    [tg-c1]

Re: Painkiller

omg serious sam was totally awesome :O it's real attraction imo is coop mode, where you don't have to worry about being blown up over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke
      omg serious sam was totally awesome :O it's real attraction imo is coop mode, where you don't have to worry about being blown up over and over again.
      Yeah, that's where Serious Sam was awesome. I heard Painkiller doesn't have coop though. :(

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Turn the lights out when you play this game. Booooooo-gah!
        sigpic
        I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X