Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL2 Mod: Iron Grip: The Oppression beta 1.3.1 releases

About the Mod
    Iron Grip: The Oppression is a Total Conversion Modification for Half Life2. The game is set in a custom universe and combines elements taken from both first-person-shooters and real-time-strategy games. A player can choose two sides in this game - Rahmos or Resistance. The Rahmos side is a real-time-strategy game played by, initially, one person. The Resistance side is represented by numerous players, who play a first-person-shooter.

Game Setting
    The game takes place in large cities, where resistance cells are desperately hiding after a recently issued zero tolerance act. The situation is looking grim for the Resistance, as Rahmos Special Forces are picking them off one by one. Once a cell is discovered, their only hope is to sabotage the Rahmos local headquarters so communication will fail. With Rahmos forces un-commanded, the Resistance's chance of a successful retreat increases.

The latest downloads and trailer at www.irongrip.net

Best regards,
    Rare Orchid
    Last edited by CingularDuality; 03-09-2007, 01:37 PM. Reason: made link hot

Re: HL2 Mod: Iron Grip: The Oppression beta 1.3.1 releases

www.irongrip.net

kind of looks like risk meets bf2 sorta...maybe not at all. Really looks cool, im downloading as i type this to try it out. Welcome to TG. Bonus points for posting this in the right area of the forums and not being pushy about the mod. Nicely done.

Please share more about what this mod is about.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I think I've seen this before. It looks vaguely familiar... Looks cool, but I just don't have time for the games I already have, much less a new game.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

This game looks like it has some good TG potential. I'm DL'n it now to check it out.
        | | |

Comment

After playing the game I'm pretty impressed. It forces a lot of teamplay right off the bat. If you don't play as a team you stand no chance as the Resistance. I don't like that there's no in-game voice though.

I think it'd be great to get a bunch of TGers together to check this game out.
          | | |

Comment

Hey all, Mandarax here, posting on behalf of RareOrchid herself. I'll just describe Iron Grip like I do to my friends when they ask what I do in my free time.

Iron Grip:The Oppression is the first game in a new fiction universe being developed by friends of mine and myself. It pits a barely-organized militia resistance of first-person players against the forces of the RTS-perspective-played Rahmos empire which has invaded and "civilized" (read: conquered) Kathos, a territory of small principalities reminiscent of Germany pre-unification.

What makes the game interesting is the new gameplay style, which pits RTS *against* FPS, unlike all other cross-genre games such as Empires or Natural Selection. While the FPS side is relatively traditional and easy to jump right into, the game gets more complex when the RTS general enters the picture. The RTS general gets control of a command train from which he deploys troops and tanks and purchases upgrades and, in the future, special powers/superweapons. The troops and tanks he builds are AI bots who follow his orders.

The basic game objectives usually revolve around Rahmos trying to conquer several control points scattered randomly around the map. Often, it also involves the Resistance actively hunting down the Rahmos general. If he's assassinated, the Rahmos forces will have to retreat and regroup, granting the Resistance a victory in their fight against the occupiers.

Now, the important part: how the game feels.

For the FPS side, it's an incredibly different multiplayer experience. It feels more like some sort of steam-punk version of Call of Duty in massive co-op mode, where everyone needs to work together and coordinate their weapons to successfully thwart massive attacks of soldiers and tanks coming at you from potentially any direction, and guided by the expert hand of a human general. I've yet to play a multiplayer game that can offer as much action as quickly and constantly as Iron Grip can, and never played a campaign where the enemy actually WILL intelligently respond to your tactics. For me, it takes the teamwork and group experience of multiplayer, and adds in the epic combat that is normally only reserved for a game's story missions.

On the other hand, for the RTS general, which is my favorite side, it's an often delicate balancing act in which you have to outsmart and outmaneuver intelligent human enemies with your own armies. You can use tanks to clear a path down a road, you can coordinate your infantry to use flanking and pincer moves on Resistance defenders, and it can really be satisfying when your tactics pay off. It's hard to describe the feeling you get when you distract a group of Resistance with a riot tank, then flank them with Grenadiers and wipe them out before they have a chance to yell "OMFG WTF?!"

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, I'll keep checking back!

Comment

Not to resurrect an ancient topic, but I figured this would be more relevant than just making a new thread. We've been running a tournament lately, every Saturday afternoon, Joe vs Pro where a skilled Rahmos general takes on all FPS comers. So far, the General has been very successful. Perhaps some of you all could link up and meet us there this coming Saturday and show what teamwork can accomplish?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X