half life 2 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• half life 2 question

I have played the demo. and I been trying to find out if you need a steam account if your only going to play offline. the EB game folks here don't have a clue.

Thanks
    {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Re: half life 2 question

i dont think you do, my brother played it on a PC that dint have internet and i dont think it installed steam
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

HL2 enjoys having Steam set up even if you're playing offline, but if you really hate Steam for some reason (perhaps it killed your father), you can run it perfectly well sans Steam. I dunno how easy it will be to convince HL2 you don't want Steam at all, but if you disabled Internet when you installed, that would probably do it.

I'd still suggest that you get a Steam account, and even buy it through Steam. Right now it's discounted, and either way, if you've got it tied to Steam, you can install it anywhere you want without the discs, and you don't need to worry about losing the discs or anything. Plus you can make as many backups as you need.

Comment

I was under the impression that HL2 was the first game that required Steam to play?

Regardless, Steam is absolutely the best implementation of online software vending/distribution that's out there right now. You'll not be sorry if you use Steam.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I think it's pretty close to required: I believe HL2 tries to install Steam when you install it. If you don't let it get to the Internet, though, it can't do anything, which suggests you can go Steam-free even if you do have Internet. You might just need to be crafty.

Then again you won't get any patches for HL2, and you won't get Lost Coast for free, and you won't get all the other benefits I mentioned. So Steam's definitely the way to go.

Comment

steam is required and I believe an internet connection. You have to register online first before you can use it offline.

- -

Comment

thanks guys. guess i'll have to get steamed
              {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X