Planetside Veteran Roll Call!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planetside Veteran Roll Call!

I noticed an old thread in which someone was asking why TG never got into PS. Only one reply, sadly. So it leaves me wondering if the members of this community have a sadly limited experience with the game. It really is a fabulous game, and though I cannot afford in money or time to subscribe to it anymore (one MMO at a time is more than enough >.<), I must say I had a blast while I played it. It is a game where the kind of team-oriented tactics this community is into could really shine.

So out of curiosity, and so that we may perhaps reminisce on old times, who here is a PS veteran? For how long? Any stories? Any of you still play?

I played on Emerald, and played off and on since a few months after release. I still remember how much fun it was to work with my old Outfit (Cerberus Company) and plow our way through a base by sticking together and having most of our people specced in adv med. In this sense, 2142 reminds me somewhat of PS.

I remember one thing that always amused me about PS is that after awhile, it seemed everyone was a self-proclaimed "Galaxy pilot." It was particularly amusing for me, because I was a Gal pilot before being a Gal pilot became popular. *laugh* It is a shame that in modern PS tactics, at least if my gameplay during their free trial earlier this year was any indication, it seems the Gal drop is very rarely used.

So, anybody else out there a PS vet? :)
    |TG-Irr| Icefoxen
    - Exercising more to deal with the plateau. (-72 lbs)
    ^,,^
    <->

Re: Planetside Veteran Roll Call!

I Beta'd PS, and played actively for quite a while. My roommate at the time and I created one of the largest Day1 outifts on TR Emerald (Bastard Battalion.)

We specialied in mass infantry drops. The only vehicle certs we actively encouraged were ANT, AMS, and the two transports (and we told people to never take the Galx cert.) At the time we would have up to 25-50 people rolling at once in groups, and after a base take, we'd send one person back to sanctuary to see the HART timer. Then when there was a minute left, everyone would teleport back to sanctuary, and then drop on the next base while our AMS driver would head there on wheels. It was pretty crazy with the coordinated pod dropping. Since, we didn't have alot of vehicle certs as an outfit, everyone was really well certed to do some sick damage as infantry. Once we got inside the base/tower, the MAX certed people would hack a term and quick pick over to max suits.

My second run through the game I played as primarily a NC infiltrator assassin/scattermax.

Ahh.. Good times.
    sigpic

Comment

They have something now where you can play for free until a certain rank...
      Baseball is LIFE.

Xbox Live: L DODGE L

Comment

I would play any MMORPG with people....if it wasnt pay to play. I played for the trials.
        |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
        100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Br22 Cr5 =p
          Current member of the

Comment

I played on the slightly less populated server, although I forget its name, and joined a terran outfit called The Pirate Ninjas. We were the best clan on the server, with our average per player score more than 5 times the next closest person. We were a 20 man group, and carried as much weight in an attack as the 1000+ person clan who's name escapes me at the moment. Those were fun days!

I did a little bit of everything, but my favorite was an infiltrator/pounder mix.

Comment

I played for about a year after the beta, it was fun...but it also started to get old. I tried again for 6 months last year...and it was fun again...'til it got old (and it took away my WoW time). Now they've added a bunch of cool stuff to the game, especially for engineers...it's fun to pick up for a month or 2 and then quit again for awhile.

I loved hacking/stealthing into a base and then hacking myself out a MAX suit to destroy the spawn tubes and gen, and I especially loved hacking vehicles. Often, I would go into a friendly base under fire and hack/dismiss their AMS's and empty tanks. I kept a excel file with a tally of what vehicles I hacked and what teams they were under.

Comment

Been playing since last year, it's one of my "staple" games i like to play because I can just jump into the mix (Along with the BF series and stuff)

BR19, CR1, New Conglomerate, in the Freedom Defenders outfit

Specced all over the place. Used to be a firm engy/transport with gal and bangbus but now that new fortification expert engy and lighter vehicles.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Played from Beta through about the first 8 months, then have popped back in from time to time.

Have to say that it's been awhile since my last foray and I may be tempted to reinstall just to see what's what.

Game was a ton of fun but being in a good outfit really made it shine.

Again, TG would be perfect for it but such is life.

Don't tell anyone, but I played Vanu for most of my career before giving NC a shot. Don't even remember my final rank.....

They say memory is the first thing to go.....damn.

:)
                  It's all in the Reflexes.

Comment

I know this is an older post but I stumbled across my first planetside disc and am really thinking of starting this one up again. Used to lag from all the huge and I mean huge firefights. If you are working with a good squad this game is highly addictive. End up with the kiddies and your not gonna wanna stick around. Its nice because your not the only squad out there trying to accomplish takeover and destroy missions. Not positive on the number but it might be a couple of hundred people fighting on a map or planet at one time. Is crazy fun at times.

Now I have a monster pc and would like to sit back in awe and play this one again. And you can play it on a lower end pc. Most definatly a TG game where we can show them how its done. Only problem is its monthy dues :(

So I was online and also seen this. Might be something we can tryout. http://www.massivefps.com/MMOFPS-New...Challenge.html

It is a month for free.
                    Last edited by sparhawkxx; 05-04-2008, 06:44 AM.

FUN FUN

Comment

The 6th Marines used to 'Gen Hold' with the best of 'em. This was probably the 2nd most popular game the group ever played (2nd only to WWIIOL). If I recall we played routinely for around 12-18 months, couple of different servers, and at least 2 out of the 3 sides.

Snarlin

Comment

I was maxed out back in the day as part of a good outfit, did a 1 month taste test in 06 and really didn't find anything that would keep me paying to play. I really like the concept of the game, but am waiting for the next developer to give the MMOFPS another shot.

Comment

Oooohh man this game was the sh!t!! i loved the aircrafts and everything about the game, very fun.
                          "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

I tried it for a few months, had a couple of epic battles with good teammates (particularly in vehicle combat), but the lag and piss-poor hit detection eventually drove me out.

I picked up a free account last year to see what had changed as was sorely disappointed in both the community and the changes in the game itself. Like Shiner, I'm hoping another developer picks up the persistant FPS idea and executes it better.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

As Snarlin mentioned, 6MD had a pretty good time with the game. It just got old after a while fighting over the same continents. Plus as server populations started to drop, it got harder to find a decent fight. Then of course they came up with the caverns idea which spread everybody out even more. :row__736:

Not too sure if I would ever bother giving it a try again unless they changed the strategy layer of the game and gave us a better reason to be fighting. If I just want to fight and win a map/continent, BF2 and its mods is a much better game. Not to mention the fact that BF2 has no monthly fee. :D

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...