however here's a demo of the graphics
    http://www.tacticalsites.com/~explod...lver/goat4.wmv
    37 mb
    8 secs
    loads in windows player as its a wmv file
    1280*800 screen res
    all ingame settings on high

Re: Far Cry 2 on PC ... Awesome or not ? your thoughts plz

If you are a fan of the GTA type gameplay..where you decide what to do and when and how.. Then this is your type of game.. I have seen it described as Grand Theft Mogadishu.. But if you are looking for a Tactical Shooter stay away.

The Biggest complaint I have..and maybe I screwed up something or don't have enough repuation..but why does everyone at every checkpoint want me dead? Am I not in good favor with whatever faction controls that point?? So standard fare for me is drive close to check point ..switch to mounted MG.. let them come to me..kill gunner then driver.. take thier vehicle and move to next encounter.. Pretty monotonous..
    I did find a Hang glider though at a remote safehouse.. proceeded to crash that 50 feet from where I found it..
    Again..Graphics.. 10/10/.. Gameplay 8/10 - Mostly due to my bias against this type of gameplay. AI: 1/10 - UBER DUMB/UBER ACCURATE and has super eye sight able to see you crouching behind a tree at 100 yards... very little sneaking up here.. Do yourself a favor and get a scoped weapon..
    And on that complaint.. I wanna drop the RPG and grab a scoped weap in it's place..but it seems I have to choose between main rifle and scoped.. Grr....

Check this posting for some interesting Observations: http://www.cheathappens.com/show_boa...&titleID=13956
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

The more I play the game, the more I like it.

The world is fairly open and fun to run around in. Getting attacked at every check points get a little annoying, it would be nice after you cleared the check point that it was free from enemies (but them I'm sure someone would complain: The factions don't have enough troops to reinforce a checkpoint??) It very much reminds me of GTA style gameplay, cars are everywhere and you can take anyone you want and no one cares.

The gun jamming is a nice touch, but I have a tendency to run out of ammo and then pick up a gun from a soldier, actually used one so much last night that it fell apart in the middle of a firefight.

Little things amazed me, like twice when I've fired the RPG/Rocker Launcher it caught the field behind me on fire and I started taking damage from the huge brush fire behind me.
      Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Fire Damage..or the Fire Model itself is very impressive.. I do agree!
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Average plus...

Good:
          Graphics
          Sounds
          Effects
          Open World

Bad:
          Action gun play
          mission travel
          Malaria Infection (why, so we can pop pills every 30 mins or whatever)
          Multiplayer (all action, little tactics)

Extra:
          Map Editor

JMO
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

It's barely average for a game. Grand Theft Mogadishu describes it pretty well. The problem is every mission is similar unlike the variety in GTA.

Gun jamming is pretty cool but happens too often with weapons you pick up. Makes me wonder why enemies don't get gun jams. I'm using the same weapon they were just using.

I did the same thing with the hang glider. I thought it was cool until I tried it out. Crashed into a tree immediately and almost killed myself. In fact I should have killed myself because I essentially fell off the cliff side. But that's ok because if I broke a bone, I can set it then inject myself with a syrette.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Right out of the box I gave this game 10 out of 10, it looks great, and the story pulls you in with the opening scene. As I played the game the score goes down. I will start with the good, the graphics are great, not since doom have I seen better lighting and shadows, the first person animations are well done and give a new feel to first person shooters, the critical heal scenes are brutal and painful to watch but I love them. The AI is super aggressive when they know where you are, always moving trying to flank, fighting together as a team most of the time. The gun animations feel realistic, and the gun deterioration system keeps you looking to buy your own reliable guns or pick up every other enemy gun. Vehicles drive well and there is a large amount to pick from all with their own advantages and disadvantages. The 24 hour day night cycle is good to do midnight assaults. The fire in this game is a new weapon, tactic, and nightmare to first person shooters. Fire and the fire propagation system is one of the greatest things in this game. You have to be sure to plan for wind, and fuel around you before unleashing it, I think with the use of fire and tactics is by far the best way to assault a position.

Now to the bad, everyone in this country wants you dead, I don’t understand every checkpoint you come to they just start shooting, some check points you cannot get around without fighting, once you clear a check point if you walk 60ft away everything and everyone respawns. This would not be so bad, but every mission needs you to go across the map, but wait some missions you need to go meet a buddy, then do their mission across the map, then go back and do your mission. You are hitting a minimum of 6 check points every mission. Sometimes it takes you an hour to get to your mission not to mention you use most of your ammo, and your gun by now is rusty and ready to break from all the fighting. They say this game is open world and you can attack from any point, I would say it’s an open world with a tunnel system and only a few areas where you can pick where you can attack from, almost every road on both sides is a non claimable cliff that funnels you into check points and ambushes. The only place where you could drive anywhere and plan to attack from anywhere is on the outside of the map through countless checkpoints. The buddy system is nice at first but then you just get the feeling these people are using you, yes it is nice when you get saved by a buddy, but I find most the times when I die it Is because I’m hurt, or low on ammo from all the checkpoint fighting, or the mission is a complete ambush. It always seems that whatever way I go to attack they have people behind me. The AI can see through brush and often stop shooting when you’re looking in their direction, this makes it really hard to find and kill them. This game just feels like your one man against Africa, and you start question why your even here. Now to the multiplayer, yes the multiplayer is in bad section. First once again a game trying to seem realistic with no in game VOIP. What are they thinking, without VOIP it is too hard to play this game realistically. Also there is no COOP, I think COOP would have made this game better because it would not have been one man against Africa, it would have been 2-6 against Africa. The whole server browser is Xbox360 port to pc is crap, you can’t get browse a list of servers or connect over to IP, makes it really hard to play with friends. The multiplayer is ok as far as shooting, but the game modes are old and just focus on death match style game play. The map editor is much like crysis’ but it seems a little easier to use, and the whole share and rate sounds cool. My thoughts I think the developers made a great engine, but came up short on the game.

What I think would make this game better. I think if you were able to talk with the check point guards, maybe give them money, guns, or run errands for them to pass, and if you decided to run through a check point then they open up on you. Also I think you need the ability to clean and maintain your weapons, I’m not saying you should be able to clean your gun in the middle of a fire fight, but as you go to your safe house to sleep you could clean your weapon. Some weapons you get from enemies or buddies are good weapons, but old and rusty and are not available to buy till later in the game. I think once you clear out a check point that soldiers should drive up investigate then send more to rebuild it, not just respawn once out of the area. Also I would get flatten everything down, no roads with cliffs on both sides, just roads with thick jungles on both sides, and I would add some predators in the game, all the wild life is animals that are scared of you and run away. When I think about Africa I think of lions, alligators, and snakes, I think if they put some predators in the jungles and waters then that makes the player take a chance going off the roads, and who wouldn’t want to see an AI lion rip up an AI soldier.

6 out of 10

Comment

I just started playing the single player tonight and haven't gotten too far yet but I am enjoying it.

Enemies don't always know where you are at. I've had people shooting 90 degrees away from me after I've ducked down behind some trees and bushes then moved to pop up and shoot them in the sides.

I've played the multiplayer several times and had fun. One map I liked was some kind of airfield. Nice and big with plenty of trees, bushes, ditches and tunnels for cover. One thing I love about the maps is they have a living feeling to them. Trees, bushes and grass move with the wind and you can get a rain shower at any time. That type of multiplayer map doesn't lend itself to run and gun so well because you can't just look for movement to spot your enemy. A semi organized group working together could wipe up a bunch of run and gunners.

This could be a great TG game if only it had voice. :(

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

BEST GUN SO FAR: FLARE GUN!!
                  The Crazy Fire model lets you just burn stuff..wild fires etc.. It's just fun to burn stuff.. I listen to Def Leopards Pyromania sound track while playing the game.. ;-)

I have to admit..Graphically ..I haven't seen anything that can compare.. the wildlife..the sunsets... Water is done well.. Great!! I am hopeful that they market the engine to a company/programmer that will make the next great tactical shooter.. (and we can burn the buildings down there too!!)
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

I keep having these great missions, but the long drive/walk in between is really driving me crazy, I have little time to game so getting from point A to point B takes up too much time...

It's a love/hate relationship with this game...

I was told to get to the airport and take out a target of oppurtunity...

After going across map, with checkpoint engagement after engagement, I finally got to the airport, stopped in the distance, crawled up (really crouch, no prone, another problem I have) recon'ed the airfield, took out a sniper in a tower with my sniper rifle, then moved to a better location, took out a couple of more guards by blowing up the propane tank next to them, then had a enemy vehicle come hailing in, (tried to run me over, another thing I hate, but I guess is realistic), took care of them, then snipped the target inside the building, then burned everything, waited till the fire died down, went in and got the goods.... very cool mission.
                    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I've played it now for about 6 hours

Graphics 10 out of 10
                      My experience of crysis was it looked great but fps varied from 50 own to 10, that game was not optimised. Farcry has the same engine and is optimised, it looks truely awesome and on my machine i get 25-40 fps, which is all good for me to enjoy the details of the surroundings. Graphically this game is the best by a long way and a good purchase if you have just bought a graphics card and want to try it out.

Game 7 out of 10
                      Thats 7 if you like the experience of moving gradually through the hostile territory, it does take an hour to get to the mission and if you cant slow it down and enjoy the travel there then you'll gradually get more and more frustrated and can the game in the end. I would say that travelling to the hit is the game in fact, as thats what you spend most of your tme duing while playing. Furthermore the AI is poor and feels years out of date. The game does excel at putting you in the body of your avatar, sounds odd I know, but when you play it you will see, there are no cut scenes to map or anything

multiplayer
                      no voip so no teamwork, its a good runaround and worth a go, but nothing more than that

overall
                      graphics are 5 years ahead of everybody else and AI is 3 years behind everyone else

My personal view
                      a good buy as i enjoy sandbox games, will have about 20 hrs of good interest to me and then i will move on to mirrors edge and left for dead next month

Comment

The AI is so horrible. In one mission, I took out a sniper and went up to his perch. I used my dart rifle to take out a sentry then started taking fire. I look around and see nobody. Eventually, I notice someone is shooting me from inside a building. This isn't from a window either. This is a solid wall between the shooter and me. No line of sight at all and this is not some stupid bush. Enemies can see through walls. Wow.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

For Travel remember.. Take the BUS! In the age of Green everything.. Public Transport is the way to go!.

One Crazy Mission I grabbed the bus to the location (from the arms dealer..) and the Convoy was just driving past the Station.... I planted an IED outside and waitied for it to return and BAM! .. then I just ran out and grabbed the bus back... Very Fast..
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Having a great time in game. Lots to do, huge seamless world, small touches add to immersion, interesting setting, cool weapons, lots of ways to approach a mission, game looks great, AI is no Crysis or FEAR but is not bad. Fun time.
                            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                            "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                            - Check me out on The Onion
                            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I hope the guys who made the Advance AI mod for Crysis port it to this game.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X