• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shattered Horizon

Release Date: November 4th
    Price: $19.99
    Distribution: Steam
    http://www.shatteredhorizon.com/

I was intrigued when Steam's update "News" box popped up, and I saw an advertisement for this game. I looked further, and was surprised a bit; it is a Zero Gravity FPS.

The game is set in the near future, in near-Earth space, and the moon has been destroyed. Players can use jetpacks to traverse around the game area, and matches are 32-player sized.

I'm unsure of whether there are more weapons, but the main/only primary weapon available is a rifle, semi-futuristic, with a 'generous' magazine, a high rate of fire, and a scope that can be used with a 10-round burst that is 'lethal at long range'. It can fire 'ICE' grenades from the underslung grenade launcher, and you can also use EMP grenades to disable equipment or MPRs to blast enemies out of their cover.

A pivotal point of the gameplay is zero gravity; with no gravity, jetpacks, and many open areas to traverse, it is important to be wary of any enemies that might approach from unexpected angles. Stealth seems to play a bit of a large role in this, making sure to get to your enemies flanks rather than trying to use brute force.

I wish I had some sort of impression of the game itself, but it seems very 'out there' in a good way. According to reviews the jetpack movement is fluent using FPS controls, and the game supposedly looks fantastic.

Preorder is currently available on Steam ($17.99), and there is a single 'gameplay' video out (there's a lot of showy angles, and just a bit of firstperson glory, but nonetheless it's pretty darn cool lookin') that shows off a bit of the stealthy gameplay aspect.

I might preorder the game, since it's cheap and looks like a bit of fun.

Re: Shattered Horizon

I just saw this game as well. Looks pretty cool and I think I'll pass on Borderlands and get this instead. The graphics look simply amazing and it certainly has quite the system requirements. It's from Futuremark, makers of 3DMark so I get the feeling this game is going to be good!
    From looking at the website it says there will be dedicated servers and free DLC after the launch which is awesome.

Comment

Remember that it requires DX10. There is no DX9 compatibility. You must have Vista or Win7.

Comment

Wow game is great, I get flash backs of decent, zero g fighting takes some time to get use to but you can always plant your self anywhere walk around and snipe. Head shotting a guy and hearing his glass helmet explode and see him float off is great. Also there is this key that turns you to the suface your looking at and locks you down, feels alot like gears of war sliding into cover to get out of fire(one of the better features in gears of war). The one thing this game is missing is voice comms, it can be so tatical if we had some comms, also there is only 1 weapon even for the other team same weapon but it gets the job done. I have heard that the dev team are adding more content soon and they are looking into VOIP. If you buy it and give it a chance you will not be upset, its only 20 bucks.

Comment

Thread revival!

Bought the game finally yesterday (have been too busy with L4D2 and other work), and I have to say that besides the fact that it is really a bit of a system chewer at times (due to all the fancy graphical effects), it's really quite fun, especially if you find opportunities to attack from some absurd angles.

Not many of the players yet think outside of the box too much, but as soon as you spend a minute traversing the underside of the battlefield, only to pop up on the other side, stealthily working your way towards the enemies, it's all the more satisfying to headshot someone from behind, and then go back into stealth mode and hide.

Stealth mode is surprisingly hard to control, and really quite eerie. I love it, as it means that not a lot of people experiment with it too often, in turn meaning not a lot of people expect it to be used. It's also good to get used to floating around in that mode, because if you get hit with an EMP grenade, it's good to know how to keep yourself firmly planted or to keep yourself from being an easy kill.

Comment

I'm just wondering, I've been watching some gameplay footage and the game is impressive, but are the servers just like people flying around like mad and shooting at each other? Because that's what I'm seeing, flying around, going stealth from time to time to evade, and fly off like a young cowboy.

Thinking of buying the game, but if it's just run and gun I'd like to wait and see how it develops. Oh and another thing is, I get all the recommended settings except for the Quad core, I have a Dual core e8500 which is for all I know at times better then the quad 6600 that's recommended.

If I get the game, I might as well know if I'll get all the amazing graphics with it
            ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix. View Post
              I'm just wondering, I've been watching some gameplay footage and the game is impressive, but are the servers just like people flying around like mad and shooting at each other? Because that's what I'm seeing, flying around, going stealth from time to time to evade, and fly off like a young cowboy.

Thinking of buying the game, but if it's just run and gun I'd like to wait and see how it develops. Oh and another thing is, I get all the recommended settings except for the Quad core, I have a Dual core e8500 which is for all I know at times better then the quad 6600 that's recommended.

If I get the game, I might as well know if I'll get all the amazing graphics with it
              There are at least two game modes; Skirmish aka Team Deathmatch, and an objective point-capture game where one team defends and the other attacks, and there are 3 points to capture.

The objective gamemode is really open in that while there are 3 points to capture, not a lot of the fight is necessarily located there; often times what you will see is the defending force sitting on elevated areas around the point and then the attacking force will find a staging area on the other side, and many people try to snipe others, while a few try to jet forward to the fight, only to be quickly killed.

The real winners of the game say "You know what, screw this symmetrical warfare, I'm going to float underneath this rock, come up behind them, and waste them." And then they do, and it causes mass hysteria among the defenders, giving opportunities for both the sniping players on your side and the rushing players to get some kills and move in for the point.

It's really what you make it out to be; if you all sit and fight from one angle, it's going to play out slowly and the attacking team is almost guaranteed to lose if the teams are matched. If even a tiny group takes a new approach to the fight, whether it be flying underneath the rock and popping up the other side, or flying to a completely new rock stealthily to get a high angle on the battlefield and pick your shots, that team will benefit greatly.

You should be able to run it fine at the very least on the lowest settings (which aren't all that bad).

Comment

I see, and new maps come with updates for free right?

Oh and one more thing. Do a lot of TG players play this? Because nothing beats playing a FPS the TG way with TG people, even if there's no voip the teamspeak server will do just fine.

Probably going to buy the game this week
                ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix. View Post
                  I see, and new maps come with updates for free right?

Oh and one more thing. Do a lot of TG players play this? Because nothing beats playing a FPS the TG way with TG people, even if there's no voip the teamspeak server will do just fine.

Probably going to buy the game this week
                  Yes. The Arconaut program (Beta testers, preorders) will test the maps before they come out.

TG has it's own server. I haven't seen a lot of people on lately, but I'm sure we could be getting some games going.

Comment

I'm running a server but i need to update it. Been waiting for the official version and hopefully an SDK but the new maps will help bring more interest too.

- -

Comment

Rising this thread from it's grave. Did a lot of people pick this game up while it was 5$ on Steam? It's really great fun, but it's true that without voice comm and teamwork it can feel a bit shallow.
                      Gronigo
                      Bird-puppet extraordinaire

Comment

It was a good price point for 5 bucks, I wouldn't have spent a dime more on it either.

Comment

I sure wish I had picked it up for 5! Unfortunately, the game doesn't run too great on this lappy (Macbook Pro ftw, I can run BF2:PR on all high at 1440x900), running at low graphics and super low resolution (800x600 or 1024x768) and still only getting a steady 30 fps.

...Still interesting and fun, though.

Comment

just got the game and LOVE it! definitely a new twist on a FPS, love how gorgeous the game is and it runs so smooooth.....kinda sad a benchmark company puts this out and it runs great....a game developing company like *cough EA *cough puts a game out and has to patch the crap out of it to fix all the garbage.
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Big update today
                              Updates to Shattered Horizon have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Shattered Horizon version 1.0.4.13

Added in game voice chat support offering talk to team, talk to all, player muting and global disable.
                              Improved Ranking system adds 50 new experience ranks better tailored to both new and existing players.
                              As a player ranks up cosmetic changes are added to the space suit to distinguish between new and experienced players in game.
                              Tutorial screens added to main menu.
                              Added support for 5:4 monitor resolutions such as 1280x1024.
                              MPR grenades have been made more effective against flying targets.
                              HUD targeting brackets no longer appear on spawning astronauts.
                              No longer possible to hit tankshots from the front, or visor shots from behind.
                              Main menu, level loading, team selection and match results screens have been redesigned.
                              All game audio has been re-mastered to improve dynamic range between effects.
                              Added sound effects for when a round has 2 minutes left and 10 seconds left.
                              In game chat now supports special characters such as ä, ö , é €
                              Server browser list now refreshes every few seconds. Dead servers are removed from list.
                              Added Rules Info page to server browser screen.

SERVER version 1.0.1.5

Servers can now be set to limit access to players above, below or between configurable point thresholds with the limits appearing in the server browser Rules column.
                              Added Melee Only (MO) option to server configuration options.
                              Added configurable away from keyboard (AFK) auto-kick to server options.
                              Added tooltips to server GUI.

BUG FIXES AND OPTIMIZATIONS

Fixed a bug that allowed dead third party servers to appear in the server browser list.
                              Fixed an issue where players could not connect to a server due to a protocol error.
                              Fixed a bug that could cause a server to crash.
                              Fixed a bug in Assault mode where ending a round in silent running mode caused some elements of the HUD to disappear when starting the next round.
                              Fixed a bug that could cause the game to hang on exit.
                              Fixed an issue that could cause the screen to flicker when changing resolutions.
                              Fixed a minor bug with the logic of the hand computer menu.
                              Fixed a rare bug that could cause grenades to detonate at an incorrect position.
                              Fixed a few rare crash bugs.
                              Fixed double-buffered and triple-buffered v-sync.
                              Physics calculations (substepping) have been optimized.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X