Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any NON-action RPGs out there or in the pipeline?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any NON-action RPGs out there or in the pipeline?

I'd love to play a conventional RPG again. Anybody know of anything current?

Thanks.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Any NON-action RPGs out there or in the pipeline?

Heh.. My Life is a Non Action RPG... I can't level up at all....
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Non-action? As in turn-based? Whew, that's a tall order nowadays. I know of nothing current but if you've never played to two original Fallouts and tactics, they are some of the best ever and are $10 a pop on steam or $20 for all three.

Comment

Dragon Quest IX on the DS?

Comment

Mist.

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Best you'll get is some sort of hybrid.

You could give King's Bounty: Armored Princess a shot.

Comment

I'm not sure what classifies as non action rpg? You mean something more sim based like romance of the three kingdoms and final fantasty style?

- -

Comment

I mean like the classical turn-based, party-based character RPGs. Think Wizardry, Bard's Tale, or similar titles. I know they are out of favor now, but I'm surprised nobody even tries to make them anymore.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                  Think Wizardry
                  Wow. Now that takes me back a long way... nothing like writing a D&D style RPG in pascal. I remember how awesome it was to get the cheesy vector graphics in the upper left corner instead of just text. I also remember having to buy graph pads to make maps because the game did not map for you. What a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                    I mean like the classical turn-based, party-based character RPGs. Think Wizardry, Bard's Tale, or similar titles. I know they are out of favor now, but I'm surprised nobody even tries to make them anymore.
                    I assume you played the Baldur's Gate series? While it's not technically turn based you could get it to auto pause at key moments.

You could also try:

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/

I haven't tried any of their RPG games myself but have heard good things about them.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                      Best you'll get is some sort of hybrid.

You could give King's Bounty: Armored Princess a shot.

How is that, btw? I bought it in Steam's holiday sale for 2009. I never started it up, though.

Comment

You could try Underworld, an indie RPG that's been inspired by Wizardry and Might and Magic:

http://www.classicgamesremade.com/

Knights of the Chalice is throwback to the old SSI Gold Box games with graphics similar to Warriors of the Eternal Sun on the Sega Genesis:

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

Wizardry 8 works just fine on Windows Vista if you haven't tried it yet. If you have then I'd recommend checking out Dodd's Mod 2.4 which raises the difficulty considerably, introduces new weapons, equipment, quests, spells, enemies and makes subtle alterations to the main storyline. If you thought the Dark Savant was a breeze in the vanilla game, just wait until you square off against him in Dodds because he will tear your party to shreds.

Comment

Thanks for the links. Wizardry 8 was, in my opinion, one of the best RPGs of all time. Interesting to learn of that mod.. I'll take a look.

Comment

You can grab Dodd's Mod 2.3 and the 2.4 patch from this site:

http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/wiz8mods.htm

Also check out Good Old Games where you can find a treasure trove of classic RPGs from the Dos era and Windows that are inexpensive, and are setup and ready to play. Some may need some minor tweaking to the configuration file for performance issues, but it's all very easy to do through Notepad.

http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

Comment

I miss Ultima IV. I really liked that one a lot.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X