Dragon Age 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Age 2

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread started up on this yet so off I go since I've put about 8 hours or so into the game so far.

First let me state that yes, the game does suffer from some console-itis but it's not as bad as you may have read. For the PC version, make sure you download the hi-res textures that are available as well as the 1.01 patch.

I love the look of the game, in particular the amount of detail in character equipment. I'm running with 'high' graphics settings right now; the highest setting for some reason was giving me some graphics glitches.

Despite what the gameinformer review said, I use the pause feature all the time. Tactics can be set up similar to the original game and battlefield positioning is still important as flank attacks and such are key for the melee characters. Combat overall is very good IMO.

I can't comment about the story too much since I'm not that far in. I've read that it is focused around the city of Kirkwall too much and doesn't have anywhere near the epic story line that the original game had.

Anyhow, I suspect I'll play through the game at least twice. :) Doing the Rogue the first time through and then will bump up the difficulty and give Warrior and/or Mage a go.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Re: Dragon Age 2

I'm around 30 hours in, and I went Mage again, and loving it so far. They've toned the mage's spells down a lot, their not as powerful as they were in Origins. I also like the faster paced combat, and the giblets.

Comment

I've completed the game and I can say that I'm sad because of it. At first the game scratched my RPG itch but I really feel like Bioware just mailed this one in. Yes the combat is still fun (despite some of the stupid adds that spawn) and I don't mind many of the other changes but DA:O was by far the better of the games. My first run in DA:O was over 70 hours and in DA2 it was just under 43 hours. There was no epic feel to the game and Hawke never really drove much of anything, everyone just dumped their issues on Hawke and expecting things to get done. The banter between the companions is usually really good (especially when Isabela is around). The lack of real mod support is also saddening but people are still trying, just don't expect any of the really cool stuff that mods were able to do in DA:O.

Overall it was only good enough but Bioware fell victim to their own success, DA2 should have been a million times better.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
        Overall it was only good enough but Bioware fell victim to their own success, DA2 should have been a million times better.
        I believe it's not so much Bioware but EA's influence; they want their mega-hits at regular intervals without the 5 years it took to make the first game. ;)

I agree about not liking the trend, especially since Bioware was first and foremost a PC developer who rejuvenated the RPG market with their detailed (and long) games. Ah well.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Yeah i think EA's business plan got the better of this one. I don't really know but they have unfinished story lines from the first so maybe this is just a side story version to fill in gaps for the next major story with all the characters we know from origins.

- -

Comment

Doubt it.

Comment

Ok...finished my first run through the game and overall I'm quite happy with the experience. Certainly enough to give it another run through in a manner similar to what I did with both Mass Effect games (but not DA1 which I played 3 times and will go back to again eventually). Play time was roughly 45 hours (as compared to the 70+ I took for each DA1 run).

For the combat there were still a couple of challenging battles at normal difficulty but I say that with the understanding that I didn't micromanage all 4 characters. It would have been a hell of a lot harder if there was FF. For veterans of these kind of RPG games you're really better off starting at the next higher difficulty level.

I really liked the story overall, especially with how the acts are spread out over a long period of time (i.e. years between them). Again, it didn't quite have the epic feel of the first game or both Mass Effects but overall it was still quite enjoyable. I'm also not sure at this point how many actual decision points there are which have an effect but I suspect that it is far less than those other games as well.

My biggest beef overall with the game was the re-used maps. ;) Having more unique areas to explore would have added to the epic feel which Bioware's stories are well known for.

Overall I'd recommend the game at least for one play through although you may want to wait for the game to drop from that $60 price tag.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                Yeah i think EA's business plan got the better of this one. I don't really know but they have unfinished story lines from the first so maybe this is just a side story version to fill in gaps for the next major story with all the characters we know from origins.
                The general consensus is that the title is what sort of screwed the pooch for the game, story/concept-wise (I vastly prefer the mechanics of 2, so I don't care about the whinings regarding that discussion). If it hadn't been Dragon Age "2", it probably would have fared better from criticism. It could have been considered as "Dragon Age: Rise of the Champion" or some-such-thing and people would probably have been less vitriolic over the experience.

Then again, I'm just doing EA's marketing department's job by saying that. *roll eyes*

Comment

I really was let down. Many issues such as boring companions and lame story were bad enough but the worst aspect was the lack of variety. Each level was reused again and again for the entire game. After beating the game, I felt like I had played through the same game a dozen times or more!!! Not only were the levels reused from caves and buildings but also the variety of things to fight was 1/10 of what we saw in DA1. I honestly had a hard time even bringing myself to keep playing to just finish the darn game. Amazon bought it back for $38, so at least it was not a total loss.
                  Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Just finished my 2nd play through on "hard" and the more challenging combat made it worth while...barely. As I suspected there aren't any really significant decision points that I encountered which was very disappointing. I did manage to kill/lose almost half my companions (Bethany, Isabella, Anders) though. ;)

I'll probably give it another run through as a Mage which was the only class I didn't try. However, not going to do that for at least a year once they patch it up a bit and maybe get some DLC (or mods?) to play with.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I refuse to buy this game. I will not support their concept of sequel especially when I thought the original was very good.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X