Gothic 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gothic 3

If anyone here played the previous 2 you should all know that these games were pretty good in their day. The 3rd installment looks pretty amazing and could be up there on the podium with the likes of Oblivion & WOW. Its released on October 13th and i am very tempted to buy although Dark Messiah & NWN2 are out at the end of the Month & i have only a limited amount of time to leave the real world and kill orcs.

http://www.gothic3.com/
    [defense]

Re: Gothic 3

Gothic 2 was better than Morrowind in terms of having a deep, believable world and good characters, as well as a bunch of original flora and fauna, and I have no doubt that Gothic 3 will be better than Oblivion. The first Gothic, however, has such horrible controls that I can't play it.

Comment

I love Oblivion, Ill have to give this a shot.

Comment

You can't put WoW in that comparison list Phaze /slap.

These are real RPG's not online cookie cutter RPG's :P

Gothic 3 should be good, They've spent plenty of time on it! I am hoping they don't throw the interface out the door like they did on Oblivion. I suspect that was only because it was also an Xbox game.

- -

Comment

Gothic 3.

Well Well Well.

I picked the game up this morning off a friend who deleted it after 15 minutes of play & i can see why. It is absolute rubbish.

I cant even begin to explain how bad this game is. It is so full of bugs i wonder why it was ever released. The graphics are poor, the controls are terrible & the storyline is like listening to a Kindergarten teacher reading out exerts from Noddy & Big Ears. It is well under par Compared to snakes and ladders & i dare not mention it in the same breath as Oblivion. I am so disappointed that i am ending my post right here & am hoping that Dark Messiah hits the spot when i install it tomorrow.
          Last edited by phaze; 10-26-2006, 12:02 PM. Reason: Unfinished Post
          [defense]

Comment

Well that sucks, guess I wont be trying this one.

Comment

It seems to be getting pretty good reviews from other sites.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothi....html?mode=web

- -

Comment

I haven't gotten it yet, but from what I hear it was released about two months early due to the publisher's will. The combat system has been changed from the first two games and made more like Oblivion's, but in a bad way. The game is extremely buggy. It looks as good as Oblivion, but has much worse performance, so it ends up looking worse at playable settings. It also doesn't do a good job of bringing newcomers into the story, though the story of the series is actually pretty good. And the voiceacting is supposed to be bad, but seriously. It's from Germany, and it can't be as bad as MGS :P

Comment

I got bored and downloaded the demo, and after about 10 minutes decided to buy it. I wasn't used to the combat system, they had changed a lot of the voices, and I was having serious performance issues, but it still felt like Gothic.

With the patches, I've only experienced one bug of any severity (a handful of non-important stuff not moving to my inventory when I buy or grab it), and only a couple graphical glitches, which only result from a third person camera being maneuvered into a small area. And performance has drastically increased since the demo. Making a real save every few quick saves seems to help, as does restarting the game after several hours of play. I haven't had the game actually crash yet, though it has frozen up around five or six times since Saturday.

If you've played and liked the previous Gothics, it might take you a bit of time to get into, but almost everything that made me love Gothic 2 is back in this one, and the world is even bigger. There's still the massive wilderness to explore and the well designed and open-ended quest system, the little burnt out shacks or old slaughter sites that don't need dialogue or information to get across their own little story, and the slowly escalating combat system, meaning that while even at a high level you can't get careless with low level monsters, you also have a chance through careful planning and massive diligence to take down foes of much higher levels.

So far, I'm liking it even more than I liked Gothic 2, and a ton more than I liked Oblivion. A great deal of people on the net disagree with me, and I can understand why, but the cons stop short of being more than little annoyances for me, and the experience has so much more weight to it than in Oblivion, where the caves and ruins and forests periodically restore themselves after you've cut a bloody swathe, and the only mark you can leave on the world is through murder and the designers' decisions.

If you're unsure, download the demo, and picture it with better performance and stability.

Comment

i don't know about you but they shipped this game broken and glitchy as hell.
                    Current member of the

Comment

And I'm talking about the patched version. I haven't found any game stopping bugs. The only actual glitches that I've found are occasionally being pushed through a thin fence after being killed, and some really minor items not appearing in my inventory. Oblivion on the other hand frequently crashed on me, and I experienced several severe game-stopping glitches that forced me to reinstall.

Now, I've only been playing Gothic 3 since Saturday, but from my experience performance is the only technical thing where Oblivion wins.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the demo doesn't have the patch in it, so it's hard to judge without buying the game, and I realize that other hardware configurations from mine may have more severe issues. I'm simply relaying that my own experience in no way matches the negative reviews that I read.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X