X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard: Hilsbury Server Character List

Please make Thestrans if possible. *shrug*

Remaking my guy. Revark
    Last edited by Revark; 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM.
    Battlefield 2: Battlefield 2142: WoW: Oblivion: NWN2

Re: Vanguard: Hilsbury Server Character List

Zid= Zidaya Xhen

lv12 Paladin Currently.
    Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by Revark View Post
      Please make Thestrans if possible. *shrug*
      *shrug* indeed my friend.

Main Character is...

Phaze - Dark Elf Sorcerer - Qalia

Will make an alt on Thestra. Will update when done.
      [defense]

Comment

yeah it turns out the other conts are about 80km away lol
        Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by Zid View Post
          yeah it turns out the other conts are about 80km away lol
          Thats why my toon is a carpenter .. gonna make a boat and charge an arm and a leg to transport folks back and forth!

Comment

sounds ingenius! i would kill for a boat. i'm a pirate junkie may i supply security for a fee ofcourse. =D

i have a guild charter i just need to get everyone on at the same time to make it. we could amass our own fleets and just charge what we'd like =D
            Current member of the

Comment

Update...

1.Phaze - Dark Elf Sorcerer - Qalia
              2.Brownstar - Human Necromancer - Thestra ( Currently in Tursh ).

Will be concentrating on Brownstar for a while as im well up for some Necromancy :)
              [defense]

Comment

Ok, I am having a hard time deciding on which class an keep rerolling. My name will still be Revark though.

Notes.
                1. I hate playing as Thestrans!
                2. Melee or Caster... cant decide.

Comment

Gentlemen! Looks like I finally found the correct place for Vanguard questions.

Now, I'm not truly considering playing it because SoE is attached to the project (yes, I know, they're just publishing not developing), but I'd like to know more about it. The game's website is trash and hard to navigate, and the reviews on gamespy aren't all that helpful. So, tell me what you think about things.

How's advancement (ie questing for xp or grinding)? As an aside, roughly how quick do the levels go?
                  How's competition with other players (crowded, jerks, etc)?
                  How are the graphics/gameplay? I heard that movement is slidey/skatey.
                  Are the worlds stable?
                  What's the combat engine like?
                  How incomplete is the game? I heard that it was released too soon and is missing content.
                  [squadl]
                  "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

it's fairly incomplete you would be wise to wait before purchasing although i still love it i have no doubt the game will be good. questing eliminates grinding. you can level not as quickly as WoW though. i'm level 13 but the death pentalty is very rough i died twice yesterday and i was screaming.
                    Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                      Gentlemen! Looks like I finally found the correct place for Vanguard questions.

Now, I'm not truly considering playing it because SoE is attached to the project (yes, I know, they're just publishing not developing), but I'd like to know more about it. The game's website is trash and hard to navigate, and the reviews on gamespy aren't all that helpful. So, tell me what you think about things.

How's advancement (ie questing for xp or grinding)? As an aside, roughly how quick do the levels go?
                      How's competition with other players (crowded, jerks, etc)?
                      How are the graphics/gameplay? I heard that movement is slidey/skatey.
                      Are the worlds stable?
                      What's the combat engine like?
                      How incomplete is the game? I heard that it was released too soon and is missing content.
                      I've been playing nightly since launch, so I'll jump in here and try to answer some things. Obviously this is all just personal opinion. Hopefully, slightly informed opionion though :)

Level advancement is slow compared to WOW / EQ2, but faster than the original EQ. I'm only level 13 atm. In the last 6 hours of play, I've went from roughly 10% into 12 to 30% into 13. The thing is, I don't find myself constantly looking at my XP bar like I have in other games. Right now, I've got my quest journal completely full and they generally give you a good chunk of XP. If you're in a good group, you can do some challenging content and get some dang good XP. I haven't really been grinding at all, because you can truly just forget about the xp bar and have fun playing the game.

Most people are generally not jerks (at least so far). I've met a couple of really nice players and we kinda have had a static group going for the last few days. There is some competition for spawns at quest sights, but that can alleviated by an invite so everyone can get credit for the kills at the same time. The world population definitely seems to be climbing in the last week. I was a bit worried at first because there seemed to be few people playing.

As far as graphics go, I'm very pleased with them so far. Notwithstanding what you hear on the forums, my mid range (2.5 year old) machine runs it in balanced settings fine. I have however upgraded my graphics card / ram (X1900, 2 GB) and I'm sure that makes alot of difference. But some people do seem to be having problems with it. My RL friend that started playing could only run it at the lowest settings and it looked like old EQ lol. Believe it or not, after installing VISTA and updating his nvidia drivers, he can play it on balanced now.

The world is reasonably stable. In almost two weeks of playing I've only crashed once and last night our chunk (VG speak for zones) died for about 15 mins. That being said, there are some bugs going around. I've been lucky and haven't had any problems, but apparently some people were rolled back and lost XP / items. It is definitely not rock solid at this point however. You are going to get the occasional lag spike and warping mob. I've been able to play through all that however.

The combat system is pretty involved. I feel like alot of people are only scratching the surface of it ATM. You can play it just by spamming your best spells / abilities, but there's alot more to it. Certain abilities can create states on the mobs that you can take advantage of and things like that. For instance, if the 'enraged' state is on the mob, my psionicist mental blast spell will do approx 30% more damage if i hit him with it. Also, you get chains / finishers a'la EQ2, and counter-abilities. The only bad thing is it gets you watching the UI and playing whack-a-mole sometimes. However, not so much now that I've learned the sound cues and am getting used to hitting the right hotkey for a counter / chain. There's probably even more depth there that I haven't experienced yet.

The game was definitely released before it was really ready. They basically ran out of money and had to release (That came directly from Brad McQuaid on the beta forums). That being said, the game is VERY playable and enjoyable right now. Considering how far they came in the last 3 weeks of beta it's incredible how much they accomplished. There are some class balance issues and lots of small bugs. The first round of nerfs hit yesterday lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Zid View Post
                        it's fairly incomplete you would be wise to wait before purchasing although i still love it i have no doubt the game will be good. questing eliminates grinding. you can level not as quickly as WoW though. i'm level 13 but the death pentalty is very rough i died twice yesterday and i was screaming.
                        Yeah the death penalty is nasty. Personally, I think that is a good thing. It makes you not want to die and less likely to do stupid stuff.

However, you can do a corpse run to get your xp back and avoid damage to your gear.

Comment

Nice writeup Lok. A little history, my first real MMO was Final Fantasy XI, which was... time intensive, to say the least. After that came WoW, and those are the only two I've ever really played. So keep in mind that comparissons to EQ/2 won't really mean much to me. :P

What is death like, and what is the penalty? FFXI had a pretty stiff one (I didn't mind so much).
                          Are there normal and PvP servers like in WoW? And what type of server are the TGers on?
                          How does monster claiming/looting work? Can someone else loot/gain credit your kill?
                          What's the party size limit? Are there alliances/raids that let you link multiple parties?
                          How's the UI? Scalable, moveable, customizable?
                          How far can you zoom your camera view out? I see you can do 1st/3rd person. I liked how far I could zoom out in FFXI, but WoW isn't quite enough.
                          How customizeable are hotkeys? Can you assign keystrokes?
                          What about new skills/abilities? Automatically learned? Bought? Trained? Secret quests to obtain?

Thanks for all the responses so far, and for more to come. Like I said, I tried finding some good answers/FAQ on the game's website, but it's stupid rediculous to try to navigate.
                          [squadl]
                          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                            Nice writeup Lok. A little history, my first real MMO was Final Fantasy XI, which was... time intensive, to say the least. After that came WoW, and those are the only two I've ever really played. So keep in mind that comparissons to EQ/2 won't really mean much to me. :P

What is death like, and what is the penalty? FFXI had a pretty stiff one (I didn't mind so much).
                            Are there normal and PvP servers like in WoW? And what type of server are the TGers on?
                            How does monster claiming/looting work? Can someone else loot/gain credit your kill?
                            What's the party size limit? Are there alliances/raids that let you link multiple parties?
                            How's the UI? Scalable, moveable, customizable?
                            How far can you zoom your camera view out? I see you can do 1st/3rd person. I liked how far I could zoom out in FFXI, but WoW isn't quite enough.
                            How customizeable are hotkeys? Can you assign keystrokes?
                            What about new skills/abilities? Automatically learned? Bought? Trained? Secret quests to obtain?

Thanks for all the responses so far, and for more to come. Like I said, I tried finding some good answers/FAQ on the game's website, but it's stupid rediculous to try to navigate.
                            The death penalty works like this: After level 7, when you die, you drop a tombstone with any non-soulbound equipment / loot you had on it and loose a significant chunk of xp. At that point you have two options. You can rez at the altar where you were re-spawned, losing the XP permanenently and taking a durability hit to all your gear. Or, you can travel to your corpse, grab your tombstone and get most of your xp back and not suffer damage to your gear. You can't de-level from the xp loss, but you can be pushed into debt (basically negative xp that you have to gain before you can start earning xp again).

There are pvp and pve servers and the TG folks seem to all be on Hilsbury, which is a PVE server.

PVE combat works like this, once you do damage to a mob, it belongs to you and you / your group are the only ones that can get xp / loot from it. So you don't have to worry about kill stealing / or loot stealers.

Party size is 6, with raids of up to four groups atm. One of these days, they're going to implement fellowships, in which you can group up with up to six players, and your char gains xp that the other members of the fellowship earns even when offline! Not implemented atm, but sounds great for static groups.

UI is xml based and totally customizable. I've used DroxUI and it rocks.
                            http://www.vgsohinterface.com/showthread.php?t=117
                            That will show you the things you can do with it.

I think you can zoom out about like WOW. I usually play in 1st person so I haven't really tried that.

There are a buttload of / commands that you can use to make custom macros to automate things. Macro creation is as easy as a right-click on an empty hotbar slot. For instance you could do something like this (for my psi):

/assist "name of main tank"
                            That targets the MT's target, so I can then target something else
                            /doability whatever (to mez or disable an add)

New abilities are bought at a trainer, and supposedly you can also learn some abilities by observing them in combat. There are most likely some quests for some secret crafting recipes and such, but i'm not sure about quests for abilities. One thing my psionicist has to do is find these things called gestalts that give me stances that i can enter (for damage mitigation / for damage / ect.) I think they may be tied to a quest.

BTW, if you want to try it, we all have buddy keys for 10 day passes that came with the game. I'm not using mine, so if you'd like it, PM me.

Comment

More playing:
                              Game is MUCH deeper then WoW. The crafting system is very good, more time consuming though. The diplomacy aspect adds alot to the game.

The choices of class, look, races are nice.

Servers are stable.

There are bugs, nothing game breaking though.

Need a high end graphics card to make the game shine. I have a 512 meg card, and I have to keep the setting pretty low to maintain 20-30 FPS.

Worth buying IMO.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X