X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek: Online

First STO in-game screenshot has arrived:
    http://www.startrekonline.com/devlog/#entry5

I'm actually not happy with the direction they decided to take with STO, but it's a given the entire human race will probably play this game. It technically seems like an EnB clone with ST skins. (the "holy trinity" is alive and well with tank ships, medic ships, dps ships, etc.) There's nothing really groundbreaking about the game aside from the Trek IP; they decided to make it a "casual" WoW-In-Space experience. BAH!

Re: Star Trek: Online

Wow, I didn't know there was a Star Trek Online game being made. Guess I was majorly dissappointed by Star Trek Legacy.

*crosses fingers* Hopefully this game will be at least on par with Freelancer. And I hope to God, it doesn't incorporate the fight system of KoToR (hate it).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Was this the same company that was making Gods & Heroes?

I'd be interested. I'm a quasi Star Trek fan. What I'm really waiting for is a Doctor Who MMO :)
      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
      "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
      - Check me out on The Onion
      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
        What I'm really waiting for is a Doctor Who MMO :)
        My spine is still tingling with delight after reading that several times. :row__577:
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
          Was this the same company that was making Gods & Heroes?
          yes it was,

RIP - STO

Comment

Originally posted by Turbinator View Post
            yes it was,

RIP - STO
            My take on this (which I reported before) is that Perp. will get bought out by EA or Sony. I'm more inclined to think EA because they now own Perp's gaming platform as well as the HeroEngine (since they bought Bioware). Might as well finish the job. Currently, STO is all Perp has... which actually might be a good thing because I DONT envy the person that thinks they can develop a good ST MMO.

I've actually been working on my own STO game design using creative brainstorming techniques and mind-mapping and I'm just about ready to pull my hair out.

As for Dr. Who: that's another game design that's worth looking at. I was a little kid when I watched them last so my Who-knowledge is lacking, maybe one of you other Who-fanatics can take it on. How would you design a kickass Who-MMO?

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post

I've actually been working on my own STO game design using creative brainstorming techniques and mind-mapping and I'm just about ready to pull my hair out.
              Gambit... I was just wondering..what is the most challenging aspect of this is? The ST Universe is so Dynamic... and has been documented by so many (it's almost like real history) that the Facts seem to be there.. (AKA..takes away from story creation and relationship questions, aka between races etc..).

Is it more of an implementation issue? Like how to do Combat in Space (I assume it would be similar to the Pirates! model? Or Space Exploration..since that's what ST is all about..? Massive galaxies? Maybe pick your Race/affiliation (Romulan, Klingon, Federation etc..) and start out so far away... and maybe you make contact with another player from another alliance...?

Of course I thin ka big challenge is that if you allow PVP.. Do players play out what they know "historically" about Star Trek.. and be aggressive to whomever automatically..or do they take time to nurture a relationship..before torpedoing them..??
              Sorry for the banter... I was just interested in your post...
              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I wonder how there gonna do the Combat system in the new ST Online game?I don't think they'll do it like EVE's Combat.

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                  Gambit... I was just wondering..what is the most challenging aspect of this is? The ST Universe is so Dynamic... and has been documented by so many (it's almost like real history) that the Facts seem to be there.. (AKA..takes away from story creation and relationship questions, aka between races etc..).

Is it more of an implementation issue? Like how to do Combat in Space (I assume it would be similar to the Pirates! model? Or Space Exploration..since that's what ST is all about..? Massive galaxies? Maybe pick your Race/affiliation (Romulan, Klingon, Federation etc..) and start out so far away... and maybe you make contact with another player from another alliance...?

Of course I thin ka big challenge is that if you allow PVP.. Do players play out what they know "historically" about Star Trek.. and be aggressive to whomever automatically..or do they take time to nurture a relationship..before torpedoing them..??
                  Sorry for the banter... I was just interested in your post...
                  Everything you said is exactly the problem with making an ST-MMO. There's just too much to digest. Not to mention, we're talking about the most extensive fanbase in history - so the stakes are high and it's VERY easy to disappoint.

If any of you want to be awestruck, just fool around on Amazon and Google and look up the shear amount of information to be had. You can literally lose yourself studying Star Trek. The lore is so vast and succinct that you can actually live by it (and some people do) and still never comprehend it all. Star Wars is nothing by comparison.

Perpetual is taking the "easy" road and making a casual MMO set with an ST backdrop. It's quite literally WoW in Space with shades of EnB and Eve. IMO, it might be a great game... but it definitely WONT live up to Star Trek potential, and the majority of Trekkers will be disappointed by it. Ultimately, you're locked in a linear gamespace in single pilot ships with the occasional away mission or boarding party.. picture Legacy + Elite Force 2. And that my friends is it.

The problem I'm having is trying to be the Gene Roddenberry of gaming. You try to revolutionize the medium and truly portray something different using the Star Trek 'verse. Once you get into the thought process you eventually get lost in the myriad different ways to do this, aside from the myriad different "styles" Trek represents in itself. Then of course you run into the temporal aspects and non-linear nature of later Trek series' and movies... getting lost in Temporal mechanics. Ultimately you realize, to make a truly great Trek MMO would take many many years and many many millions. And by the time it's done, it's an obsolete game.

My "solution" was to make less of an RPG and more of a Collective Simulation. There would be no inherent game mechanics, no lvls, no skills. Just a non-linear, totally random and unexplored universe for players to populate and organize themselves in a Sandbox format. Call it an open source Graphical MUSH. Now, once you realize that, you try to figure out how to do it and then you go mad trying to cram everything in. You CAN just make a game based on smaller elements, but then you'd be falling into the same trap Perpetual did and making something uninspiring and non-lasting.

Anyways, I'm sure STO will be a good game, but definitely not one that lives on your Hard-drive indefinitely. Its biggest flaw right now is that it takes "The good of the many outweigh the good of the one, or the few" and throws it out the window.

Comment

I was looking through Wikipedia's article on STO, and came across this image:

I suddenly remember bookmarking this game all the way back in 2004 but lost track of it in the years since. I was completely taken back by the above "in game" render.

I'm once again pumped about this game and the movie. :D
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                      Everything you said is exactly the problem with making an ST-MMO. There's just too much to digest. Not to mention, we're talking about the most extensive fanbase in history - so the stakes are high and it's VERY easy to disappoint.

If any of you want to be awestruck, just fool around on Amazon and Google and look up the shear amount of information to be had. You can literally lose yourself studying Star Trek. The lore is so vast and succinct that you can actually live by it (and some people do) and still never comprehend it all. Star Wars is nothing by comparison.

Perpetual is taking the "easy" road and making a casual MMO set with an ST backdrop. It's quite literally WoW in Space with shades of EnB and Eve. IMO, it might be a great game... but it definitely WONT live up to Star Trek potential, and the majority of Trekkers will be disappointed by it. Ultimately, you're locked in a linear gamespace in single pilot ships with the occasional away mission or boarding party.. picture Legacy + Elite Force 2. And that my friends is it.

The problem I'm having is trying to be the Gene Roddenberry of gaming. You try to revolutionize the medium and truly portray something different using the Star Trek 'verse. Once you get into the thought process you eventually get lost in the myriad different ways to do this, aside from the myriad different "styles" Trek represents in itself. Then of course you run into the temporal aspects and non-linear nature of later Trek series' and movies... getting lost in Temporal mechanics. Ultimately you realize, to make a truly great Trek MMO would take many many years and many many millions. And by the time it's done, it's an obsolete game.

My "solution" was to make less of an RPG and more of a Collective Simulation. There would be no inherent game mechanics, no lvls, no skills. Just a non-linear, totally random and unexplored universe for players to populate and organize themselves in a Sandbox format. Call it an open source Graphical MUSH. Now, once you realize that, you try to figure out how to do it and then you go mad trying to cram everything in. You CAN just make a game based on smaller elements, but then you'd be falling into the same trap Perpetual did and making something uninspiring and non-lasting.

Anyways, I'm sure STO will be a good game, but definitely not one that lives on your Hard-drive indefinitely. Its biggest flaw right now is that it takes "The good of the many outweigh the good of the one, or the few" and throws it out the window.
                      The only requirement I would have to that is an 'academy' intro where you learn the basics of what you want to do in the game. I swear if I have to play an MMORPG and 80% of the conversation is "How do you do this task that was explained 3 times in the tutorial with bold emphasis, but I'm too cool to go through?" I'm going to mail bomb someone.
                      My sanity is not in question...
                      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I think it was Star Trek Elite Force which I played which was the most immersive Star Trek game I had ever played. Would be awesome if they could anywhere close to the look and feel of that game. Of course it was also an FPS.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

The only time I've ever truly felt immersed in a Trek-game was on TrekMUSHes. I think the only way to create a Trek MMO that Trek fans will feel immersed in, and play, is to do the sandbox-style open-universe graphical MUSH. The problem is that it would require lots of dedication on the part of its players, and it would also require work in the form of roleplaying, rather than "target bad guy, press attack button, choose next attack, heal"

DaBrit

By Any Means
                          [/url]

Comment

RIP STO :(

Company who canceled Gods and Heroes, canceled STO.

Comment

I was playing Starfleet battles Tabletop long before 3d games even came out. So now I can be an officer and cause all sorts of havok for the Federation.... SWEET!!!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X