Warhammer: Age of Reckoning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warhammer: Age of Reckoning

Welp, I see that we've got no Warhammer thread (aside from a beta one) so I figured I'd start one. As everyone knows, WAR is basically AOC's main competition (or vice versa). TG has a lot of AoC advertising, but let's not forget WAR. Yes, indeed we all know that WAR has your typical high fantasy elves, dwarves, n' such... and that may turn some people on/off, but let's not forget the combat/quest mechanism.

I've always been of the impression WAR would actually be a more TG-friendly game, simply due to its emphasis on RVR combat in its various forms. There was an initial fear they were going to make things too casually oriented, but I believe they've stayed the course in those regards and kept the game hardcore as it should be.

In a nutshell I look at WAR as high-fantasy Planetside with REAL character development, extensive questlines, and more gameplay choices and rewards.

In the end I believe WAR's problem will be it simply wont have enough avenues of gameplay (even though there are a lot). AoC trumps it simply due to shear volume of features. However, for basic PvP elements I believe WAR wins out. How the games reward its players for achievements is the key. If by drinking 10 flagons of ale in AoC I'm rewarded with a bar for my guild city - that'd be awesome. If in WAR I capture an entire realm I get, well... bragging rights - that can get old.

I came from the ilk of games like WWII: Online, where bragging rights are everything. WWIIO had seriously complex and in-depth PvP gameplay though, so after weeks and weeks of competition you finally won the war.. you actually felt very satisfied - even if you'd maxed out your soldier. If WAR lacks this depth, then AoC will kicks its arse. Simply adding a PvE element just isnt good enough.

So... I end this post with this snazzy video from Mythic (fresh off the newsletter). It REALLY clears up a lot of question-marks about the game:
    http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/...es_BR1000.html

p.s.
    of note with this video is the fact that it SEEMS guilds have easier access to actually taking and defending "keeps." Where AoC emphasizes actually guild towns/castles, WAR seems to emphasize greater opportunity at getting one, but also losing one. The caveat is, WAR's "keeps" will probably be totally un-customizable aside from a banner and whatever siege weapons its players bring to the table.

Re: Warhammer: Age of Reckoning

The open field RvR is starting to look alot like DAoC Frontiers, which I felt was the main part of the game (old frontiers ftw!). I played DAoC from beta until it's decline and knew a couple of the main people in Mythic at the time. I felt like most players, that ToA really had a negative impact on the game, but prior to that I was having a blast.

I played a bit in the closed beta of WAR, but it really didn't excite me at the time. I hope things progress well, but I, like most around here, am looking forward AoC for the next big MMO.
    "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
    EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
    PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

Originally posted by Banyan View Post
      The open field RvR is starting to look alot like DAoC Frontiers, which I felt was the main part of the game (old frontiers ftw!). I played DAoC from beta until it's decline and knew a couple of the main people in Mythic at the time. I felt like most players, that ToA really had a negative impact on the game, but prior to that I was having a blast.

I played a bit in the closed beta of WAR, but it really didn't excite me at the time. I hope things progress well, but I, like most around here, am looking forward AoC for the next big MMO.
      See, what I like about WAR is it really reminds me of a fantasy version of WW2O. Whereas the content isnt as grandiose as AoC, the RvR depth can be very appealing. It's a great "supplementary" game to a life-stealing game like AoC will be.

Now, if Mythic doesnt implement the more creative forms of combat in the Warhammer 'verse, then things will get quite stale. WW2O had the benefit of being land, sea, and air. Also, the interface at "HQ" levels needs to be robust or the game will feel disorganized.

We'll see...

Comment

As a family member of one of the more prominent individuals within Mythic (and one of the heads of the design team for WAR), I was able to play around with WAR over Thanksgiving. I have to say, even with an empty server all to myself, the PvE was far better than anything yet seen in other MMOs. Right from the get-go, there were excellent,w ell though-out quests that had interesting and varied objectives. The attention-to-detail of the Warhammer universe many of us have grown to know and love over the past...MANY...years thanks to Games Workshop is translated perfectly into the MMO. I played DAoC for quite a while, and absolutely loved the RvR style of combat (in addition, I feel that it would work well for TacticalGamer). From what I've heard my relative discuss, they will be taking the best parts of the DAoC RvR experience, and combining them with new and original ideas that come together to form an amazing PvP experience that I don't believe has been seen before in an MMO (or possibly in any game yet released). I am incredibly excited for WARs release, and think it will be the next big MMO to dominate the market, like WoW did. In addition to legions of fans of the Warhammer world who have been waiting for this game to be made for a VERY long time, I believe that Mythic is taking the game very seriously, and putting a LOT of love and attention into crafting an amazing game.

DaBrit

By Any Means
        [/url]

Comment

I posted this in another thread, and I'd like to revive this one as well...

I'd like to expand on this thread, to gauge interest in getting the Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning forum up and running.

I already suggested the forum in the dev area, but we need more "interest" generated in order to get a forum created. Open Beta is nigh, and the game is set to ship on the 19th of September (next month...)

If there aren't sufficient replies to this message, then I may re-post to make sure there is a fresh thread.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I will be trying the Open Beta to test the game out. Honestly, my initial impressions arent that promising but I'm willing to give it a shot. My main complaint is that it's a rehash of a played out genre (fantasy Warcraft) and I'm not liking the art direction of the game.

The promising aspect of it is it's modern take on RvR (GvG) combat. I liken it to WW2O or Planetside (on a larger scale). I LOVED WW2O and always thought TG would prosper at that game, but it was just too poorly supported and gameplay suffered in the long-term. In WAR you can effect the greater battlefield in many different ways (quests, endgame, crafting, pvp, etc.) which is why I think it'll do better.

We shall see. We definitely should form a Beta guild though, if possible... and definitely have a channel up and running for those of us in it.

p.s.
            I will admit to AoC being poorly implemented. If WAR can sneak in with a well implemented and polished product, there's a chance it could make a serious dent in AoC and WoW subs; played-out genre or not. I may even be one of them if things at Funcom dont shape up.
            Last edited by Gambit7; 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM.

Comment

If you'd like to see a forum created for it, please leave your comments in this thread:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/server-...reckoning.html
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Can't access it Spulat say something about adminstration rights...

Comment

I got my pre-order box today. For $5 it's a no-brainer. You get Open Beta access, early access, two in-game items, and a UFS CCD demo deck (I have a few of these already). But most importantly, if you dont like the game... you're only out $5.

So run to your Gamestop and pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver_Pipe View Post
                    Can't access it Spulat say something about adminstration rights...
                    Sorry, I hadn't realized I had put it in a Supporting Member Only server request forum.... :(

I'll put a post up in General RPG, looking for 'signatures' petitioning the creation of a forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                      Sorry, I hadn't realized I had put it in a Supporting Member Only server request forum.... :(

I'll put a post up in General RPG, looking for 'signatures' petitioning the creation of a forum.
                      Remember, it helps to have tested a game before commiting a dedicated forum to it. We're kinda shooting blind here unless some TGers have a definitive opinion based on Closed Beta access. Also, MMOs are finicky creatures... they may taste good at first but turn bland after the 1st meal.

Comment

True, but at the same time if there's no true forum for discussion about it, it'll clog up RPG general, and people who are here that are looking for the forum won't be able to find one.

Though I DO understand your point, and I think we may be able to take a cue from the AoC guys and how that forum just got created, after the game's been out for a little bit already. With the follow-up reviews I've read, it's disappointing that people aren't so sure AoC will be the "WoW Killer"....

Comment

Biggest problem is the frakkin NDA. If they lifted it it'd be much easier for guilds to decide whether to support the game or not. Right now, the only opinions I can find are from Gamespy.

Comment

It's absolutely awesome. I have been playing the war beta and nothing but the last few days. I have no want to play aoc after playing war and honestly I haven't felt this much want to play a game since 2142. It is 10 times more fleshed out and ready to go then aoc. Without breaching nda, rvr is extremely good right now, there is a lot more than simply killing to do on the battlefield and it gets people working together. My only issue is that destruction always always outnumbers order roughly 3:2, and class balance is very much in beta stages. Think of aoc priests and soldiers and apply that to the same archetypes, too much damage for their impressively powerful healing and too much damage for their absurd survivability, respectively. If you want questions answered I am always on focused ts or tg ts.

Comment

Originally posted by L10N View Post
                              It's absolutely awesome. I have been playing the war beta and nothing but the last few days. I have no want to play aoc after playing war and honestly I haven't felt this much want to play a game since 2142. It is 10 times more fleshed out and ready to go then aoc. Without breaching nda, rvr is extremely good right now, there is a lot more than simply killing to do on the battlefield and it gets people working together. My only issue is that destruction always always outnumbers order roughly 3:2, and class balance is very much in beta stages. Think of aoc priests and soldiers and apply that to the same archetypes, too much damage for their impressively powerful healing and too much damage for their absurd survivability, respectively. If you want questions answered I am always on focused ts or tg ts.
                              I'm still hoping nothing you said breaks NDA :D but thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately this thread died as well as the petition thread, for a WAR forum. So we'll just have to wait until the game launches.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X