Fallout 3: 10 Criticisms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallout 3: 10 Criticisms

I've essentially finished Fallout 3 and wanted to share my impressions. Overall, this is a very very good game. How good? I'm probably going to play it again, this time as an evil character. So, regardless of any negative criticisms I have of the game, if you are considering getting it, do so. Now. Really. My criticisms below do not detract from the fact that you must play Fallout 3.

In no particular order, here are my 10 criticisms of the game:
    1. I was very surprised that level 20 is the maximum level achievable. I was looking forward to continuing to tweak my character with some of the more fun abilities, but once you reach level 20 you don't get any more XP points. This is really too bad, because although I've all but completed my primary quest, I still have a _lot_ of other quests and exploring available. I've probably only covered 33% of the other stuff to do in the world. While I am still able to go out and explore and complete quests, it's not nearly as rewarding when I can't gain any XP. Hey, Bethesda, why the artificially low cap on levels? There is probably another good 25 hours of interesting stuff to do.

2. It isn't made clear that you can get your own place in the game. You can. Having your own place to store stuff is a huge asset and it makes the game more fun. For one, there is a custom bobblehead stand in your house where you can display the bobbleheads you've found. For another, the extras you can buy for your place, like a First Aid Station, come in handy. If you don't have your own place you are missing out. Sadly, since I wasn't aware that I _could_ get my own place, or just how useful it would be, I didn't have one until I was level 16. That wouldn't have bothered me too much, except for criticism #1 above. So, yeah, get a place as early as possible.

3. V.A.T.S is a little buggy. There were many times where V.A.T.S indicated I had a clear shot, but instead my shots hit the barrel I was hiding behind or the corner of the wall I was peeking around. There is nothing more annoying than watching yourself shooting into the wall 6 inches away from you in slow-mo. Also, the V.A.T.S slow-mo camera view is buggy as well. Sometimes it wouldn't frame the action at all, which is ashame when you've lined up the perfect shot to decapitate a Super Mutant with the plasma rifle.

4. Building custom weapons is complete waste of time. Why? Because they can't be repaired. And long before they are so badly damaged from use that they can't be fired anymore, the amount of damage they can inflict will be so degraded that you are better off using a repairable weapon anyway. I was pretty dissapointed by this. Also, the idea behind blueprints seems half-implemented, as there seem to be only 2 blueprints in the game.

5. Speaking of half-implemented, what's up with "themes" for your house? What a waste of 1500 caps.

6. The PipBoy interface is annoying as hell. At least give us a way go directly to the inventory or to maps.

7. Shortcut keys fail. You can assign number keys 0-9 to items in your inventory which is great, until you realize that you lose the shortcut key as soon as you are out of an item. I would always find myself pressing "8" for my stimpack in battle only to find out that I used the last one during the previous battle and I didn't reassign the key when I found more stimpacks.

8. The sneak skill doesn't seem to be well developed. I kept mine low--less than 40--and I rarely had a problem getting into firing range of an opponent.

9. The game crashed quite a few times. More annoying was the fact that once it crashed, I couldn't play again without crashing right away until I logged out and logged back into my computer.

10. Sometimes when I was looking at the map my mouse key for forward movement would be reset to blank.

There you have it. Fallout 3 is still an excellent game, but it could have been that much better without these issues.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Fallout 3: 10 Criticisms

Good list, I agree completely with almost everything, except for this:

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
    [*]Building custom weapons is complete waste of time. Why? Because they can't be repaired. And long before they are so badly damaged from use that they can't be fired anymore, the amount of damage they can inflict will be so degraded that you are better off using a repairable weapon anyway. I was pretty dissapointed by this. Also, the idea behind blueprints seems half-implemented, as there seem to be only 2 blueprints in the game.
    I am almost certain I have been able to make more than one custom weapon and repair it with the other one. Also, most vendors and trade caravans can repair them. If you invest in the caravans, they can repair up to 90% condition, I believe.

Additionally, I don't know what I'd do without Bottlecap Mines. I think these are the most damaging explosive weapon in the game, and I can one-shot most Super Mutant Brutes with them (and maybe Masters?).

I'm not sure what you mean by only two blueprints... I've found blueprints for six custom weapons, and I've made all of them. Additionally, you can improve the damage of custom weapons you bulid by 10% by finding a second schematic. You don't lose the schematic once you build the weapon, so you can build as many as you want.

One more thing, on the level cap. I think they would have done well to either give you a new perk every two levels, and increase the cap to 30, or leave it how it is and increase it to 25. At 20, it's just too low. There's so much left to do when you hit 20 that it doesn't make much sense to stop your leveling up. The best thing you can do at that point is just ignore XP and explore just for the sake of exploring.

There are some mods on Fallout 3 Nexus that raise or remove the level cap, if you're playing on PC.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I was very surprised that level 20 is the maximum level achievable. I was looking forward to continuing to tweak my character with some of the more fun abilities, but once you reach level 20 you don't get any more XP points. This is really too bad, because although I've all but completed my primary quest, I still have a _lot_ of other quests and exploring available. I've probably only covered 33% of the other stuff to do in the world. While I am still able to go out and explore and complete quests, it's not nearly as rewarding when I can't gain any XP. Hey, Bethesda, why the artificially low cap on levels? There is probably another good 25 hours of interesting stuff to do.
      I think it would have been worth more to be able to continue playing after the main quest is completed. The level cap wasn't too annoying. It's easy to become powerful by level 20. I definitely had no problems handling myself at level 20. Gaining more XP would be fun though even if it didn't allow you to unlock perks or boost stats.

It isn't made clear that you can get your own place in the game. You can. Having your own place to store stuff is a huge asset and it makes the game more fun. For one, there is a custom bobblehead stand in your house where you can display the bobbleheads you've found. For another, the extras you can buy for your place, like a First Aid Station, come in handy. If you don't have your own place you are missing out. Sadly, since I wasn't aware that I _could_ get my own place, or just how useful it would be, I didn't have one until I was level 16. That wouldn't have bothered me too much, except for criticism #1 above. So, yeah, get a place as early as possible.
      If you were interested enough in the Megaton quest, it would have been clear. It's not difficult to complete. Your choices affect the outcome. You don't do the quest, you don't get the reward. Getting your own place after completing the quest is just a nice surprise. The First Aid station is worthless. Why buy it to heal yourself when you can sleep 1 hour to completely heal and fix limbs? You're already in your apartment. The workbench is also worthless if your place is in Megaton because Moira lets you use her workbench for free.

Building custom weapons is complete waste of time. Why? Because they can't be repaired. And long before they are so badly damaged from use that they can't be fired anymore, the amount of damage they can inflict will be so degraded that you are better off using a repairable weapon anyway. I was pretty dissapointed by this. Also, the idea behind blueprints seems half-implemented, as there seem to be only 2 blueprints in the game.
      You're missing out on some quests that give you more blueprints. And you can make more weapons for sure. Plus, I didn't find a problem getting them repaired at merchants because I had so many caps. It's also good to find multiple copies of the same blueprint because it gives you bonuses to the weapon the next time you build it.

The PipBoy interface is annoying as hell. At least give us a way go directly to the inventory or to maps.
      A bit annoying for sure. It was the way it was done in previous Fallout games. I think it adds to the immersion. I wouldn't formally complain about it though.

The sneak skill doesn't seem to be well developed. I kept mine low--less than 40--and I rarely had a problem getting into firing range of an opponent.
      It's sort of useful. I managed to become hidden again a lot faster with a higher sneak. I can also get closer for that sneak critical attack.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
        The First Aid station is worthless. Why buy it to heal yourself when you can sleep 1 hour to completely heal and fix limbs? You're already in your apartment.
        It's useful to cure your radiation poisoning, especially if you're like me and you drink from toilets all willy-nilly.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
          It's useful to cure your radiation poisoning, especially if you're like me and you drink from toilets all willy-nilly.
          Ewww... I remember the first time I drank from a toilet. I thought activating it would flush it. When I started drinking, I bashed keys hoping my character would cancel the action.

I still don't think the first aid station is that useful. I accumulate a lot of rad-away.

Comment

Ah... hehe. All my complaints are minor nitpicks, such as the abundance of ammunition, stimpacks, cigarettes (smokers, help me out... how does smoking 200-something year old cigs sound?) and other such supplies in a world far removed from a nuclear war. I would think 200 years is plenty of time for all those supplies to completely spoil and/or be looted already. Firing 200-year old ammunition is a dangerous proposition, too.

I understand why everything is the way it is (after all, it's just a game), but I would envision such a future to be mainly melee-oriented, with projectile weaponry of the bow-and-arrow type. Guns would be very rare; ammunition even more so.

And hey... where's my damn bayonet? That would've been a cool schematic to find, a bayonet to attach to your rifle.

Just minor nitpicks, though. I'm still finding insanely-cool stuff in the game.

Comment

Besides, I'm on the PC. Judging by the creativity of the mods available for Oblivion, I'm EAGERLY awaiting the cool stuff that'll be released by the community of Fallout 3.

Comment

I would definitely pick on the fact you can carry unlimited amounts of ammunition and never get weighed down. My first play through, I was carrying 4000 rounds of 5mm because I never used the minigun.

Comment

Welcome to the Wasteland seems to be a promising mod:

The WELCOME TO THE WASTELAND mod brings hardship back into the fallout world and rebalances many game systems to make for a more complex game, with more complex interaction between skills and abilities and with better overall balance.

It aims to give the player more and harder choices to make in the game, and provide a more atmospheric, harsher fallout world.
                  It makes no change for the sake of change, and and is a complete package in that each change plays off and contributes to another to create an overall more interesting balance to the game, and a different kind of gameplay that requires you to scrounge and sell whatever you can, eat food to survive, and think much more about which perks and skills you take.
                  I also saw a mod that allowed you to level above 20.
                  Twisted Firestarter
                  a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                  sigpic

Comment

For those interested, Bethesda already has plans for three DLC packs.

January: "Operation: Anchorage" where you enter a military simulation that lets you participate in the liberation of Anchorage, Alaska from Chinese forces in one of the major events that led to the Great War.

February: "The Pitt" that has you traveling to an industrial Raider city set in the ruins of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "Choose your side" and get to fighting, so I guess it'll be a factional war against another entity.

March: I can't remember the name, but it has you joining the Capital Wasteland's sect of the Brotherhood of Steel and waging a campaign to rid the Wasteland of the Enclave remnants.

The sky's the limit. Bethesda is also releasing the official "G.E.C.K." development tools for the game, so who knows what sort of crazy mods we'll see. A visit to ruined New York, maybe? How about a trip down to wasteland Miami, Florida? I'd like to see interpretations of many of America's major cities. The possibilities are endless. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X