Mount & Blade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount & Blade

I had noticed Lorax (Lorax74) playing this game on steam every now and then, and to my surprise, Aruncado, a fellow 3rd member, also started playing the game. I then decided to try out the demo and I fell in love. The game has been around for a long time and the current patch is 1.011. I believe the developers spent 6 years making this game, and it really shows. This is a single player RPG/RTS set in medieval times. You level your character, customize them, and build an army which you control. Your men (or women) will fight along-side you in battle. Combat is real time and you are 90% of the time mounted! That's right, you get to time your axe chops to cut down enemy infantry as you gallop past them. You can also lance people, which is quite fun. Additionally, you choose what faction you want to belong to, or you can be a mercenary and remain neutral. There are the Nords, Vaegirs, Swadians, Rhodoks, and Khergit Khanate. The graphics aren't the most stunning, but the gameplay is immersive. There are also as many mods as China has people. I plan on testing out some of the mods once I finish my first campaign.

Here are a couple links if anyone is interested.

You can download this via steam (buy it through GamersGate for $24.99 I believe) or free-standing. Does not matter whom or what you purchase from/download from, it will be the same game.

http://www.taleworlds.com/

Thanks Damonte for this link:
    http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount%26Blade/Walkthrough

Also, a member of Tactical Gamer (a fellow 3rd member) is apparently a moderator on the Tale World forums, Razcsak. I will send him this way and I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions for those interested.

Re: Mount & Blade

This is a very fun game. Damonte sat down to play this and looked at the clock 'moments' later to realize six hours had past. This game is indeed very immersive.

Damonte also has loads of tips, and will share them if anyone else who plays this game is having challenges.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Peardog has seen other |TG| Members playing on Steam like Unload... but was afraid to ask what the game was like. ( Peardog kind felt dirty, like he was spying on them!!) .. Peardog has also read some reviews which were so so..
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

The demo is free Peardog. Unload thinks Peardog should try it.

Comment

As Unload mentioned, I'm an admin on the Taleworlds forum (username Merentha) so if you've got any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. Unload described the game pretty well, I think.

Basically, you've got an indie RPG intially developed by a Turkish couple who decided to gain money for continued development by selling their betas at a discount. When I bought the game, back in v.632, it cost me about 10 USD, and that purchase entitled me to all future versions of the game. I've been playing all the versions since, and watching them update and improve the game has been fantastic.

Gameplay is very simple and highly intuitive. The meat of the game is the combat system, which is simply phenomenal. The highlight there is the mounted combat. Some might compare the basic concept to Oblivion's, but it exceeds Oblivion's in almost every way. Instead of basing your attacks on which way you move, it bases it on a very, very quick movement of the mouse. (For those worried about Die by the Sword's flailing about, don't worry, its much simpler and better). For instance, to slash downward, I'd move the mouse slightly upward and left-click. Blocking works in a similar manner. To parry high? look up slightly and right-click. (The game defaults to right-click auto-detecting which way to block, which makes it substantially easier. For those looking for a serious challenge, change it to manual block. It will practically force you to use a shield or get very, very good). Shields will cover all four target directions, but at a cost to the shield's "health". Now, this excellent starting point (and its so wonderful you wonder how every other developer to date has missed it) is improved by the large-scale combat and horses. The game defaults to a maximum of 72 troops on the field at a time, but a basic mod can increase that to whatever your computer can run. I've personally fielded 350, with the graphics settings maxed, with no slowdown. Those willing to sacrifice beauty for gameplay can obviously top that with no problems. The horse combat is similar to the unmounted, except you're obviously on a horse. This allows you to ride in, slash, and ride out with much less risk for yourself (or, if you're a real coward, you can be a horse archer and not even have to do that. :p ) You can also play a lancer and simply ride down enemies with a lance, hitting them for essentially a guaranteed one-shot kill. When your horse is killed, you're thrown from in and seamlessly continue the battle on foot. Your army can be controlled with a decently robust system of commands, though it admittedly could use a few refinements. You can order your troops to charge, follow, halt, widen/close ranks, fall back/advance and so forth. With a few mods, you can also order formations. Finally, you can order men to do different things based on weapon. One common, yet very effective, tactic is to order your cavalry to follow you and your infantry to hold position on a hill with archers in front. Before the point of contact, you order your archers to fall back, your infantry to charge, and you lead the cavalry into the side of the infantry scrum. For those drooling about multiplayer, however, I must disappoint you. It remains a single-player game at the moment.

That's the combat system, but its not all of the game. On the world map, you can roam around and recruit troops, raid villages, visit towns and get basic quests, and so forth. Here's where the game's indie roots shine, since a lot of the worldmap, while well done, doesn't quite hold up to the combat system. Its a bit simplistic, but does what it needs you to do: get troops and opponents to fight. Essentially, your soldier is plopped down in the middle of a wartorn country, with five unique factions. They dynamically (and by that I mean semi-randomly) go to war with each other, launching large warparties led by lords who roam about the country-side trying to take each other's castles and raid their villages. Later, you'll be able to do this yourself too. There are also various types of bandits, deserters, and caravans wandering around for you to defend, extort, or slaughter, as takes your fancy.

One of my favorite features of the game is the general openness of it. Story? None. Really awkward and counter-intuitive morality system? None. Mandatory anything? None. Want to play a skirmishing bandit and raid caravans for a while? Have a blast. Viking raider? Infantry leader? Norman lancer? Kingmaker? Any of the above are easily possible, and that's in the core game alone. One of the Taleworlds team's biggest accomplishments and wisest moves, in my opinion, has been their love and support of mods for their game. v1.011 recently came out, so the full breadth of mods isn't yet available, but they certainly will be.

And, finally, as Unload again said, the demo's free. Play it and see what you think. If you like the combat system, which you'll easily get a feel for by the time the demo ends, its probably worth a buy. A lot of the negative reviews did focus on the graphics (which aren't top notch, admittedly, but the game was built ground-up from a husband-and-wife team who only recently hired other graphics artists. I think it looks more than fine, and occasionally beautiful, but I'm also not one of the people who demands Crysis-level graphics in everything I play) Siege combat can feel a bit clunky at first, too. The worldmap is also a bit simplistic as well. Make no mistake: you're not buying a huge RPG with a story, villains, and so forth. You're buying an amazing sandbox combat engine with fantastic mod support and a dedicated group of skilled modders.
          I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Fileplanet had this as one of its highlighted games a few months ago and I tried it out. I didn't realize it was a sandbox game and I kind of just wandered around lost wondering what I was supposed to do with it.

After reading this thread I went to the forums and did some reading up and jumped back into the game. After a few hours yesterday and today I maxed out for the free trial and now need to go buy the game to continue. :)

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

I just started the Lords & Realms mod after beating the vanilla campaign as a vassal to the Nords. The extra features from the mod are pretty sweet! Only thing I don't like about the mod is the fact that some of the polearms are incredibly long.

Comment

The lords and realms mod is tough. Even using the easy settings I'm getting my tail handed to me. The better equipment the various troops were given really makes a big difference.

Guess I need to change my tactics a bit.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Comment

I'll pipe in here and add that this is a fantastic game. There's a half dozen great mods for the game too (more than that, but only a handful I like) which keeps you playing. Probably the most innovative sword combat system I've seen yet (with the mouse controlling the direction you swing).

Great game. I liked it so much I bought it twice. :P
                  "They laugh at the law... but they don't laugh at me."

Comment

Sorry for the double post... but anyone thinking about this game should get it NOW on Steam. It's only $7.50 as of 1500 hours. I don't know how much longer that'll be like that, but you better not miss out on such a drastic price drop.

Comment

Kebab thinks this game is awesome.

Comment

Why does everyone talk in the third person?
                        "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
                        "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

Thanks for setting my sights on this game... its crazy fun, and there's a ton of mods available for it. I added a bunch of graphical enhancements, and am playing a mod that recreates the Hundred Years' War.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                            Thanks for setting my sights on this game... its crazy fun, and there's a ton of mods available for it. I added a bunch of graphical enhancements, and am playing a mod that recreates the Hundred Years' War.
                            I played that mod for a bit and jumped into the Spartan mod as well. Both are completely different play styles and both equally fun. The game still has some issues with foot soldiers and spears, but the sword combat and horse mounted combat is exceptional.

I'm still amazed more people haven't picked this game up.

Comment

What was the name of the Spartan mod?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X