This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Battle Forge** Beta

I put this thread up in the Strat section, but this game is really an underlying MMO. Here's the original thread:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/strateg...orge-beta.html

To put it plainly this is a new type of game. Basically a hybrid RTS-MMORPG-TCG. And it kicks ass. (I tried it out last night) Stay away from this one if you have a weakness for collectible games.

This one has potential to be a TG supported game, easily.

Re: **Battle Forge** Beta

Wow... no responses?
    This game is no joke people.

Comment

I downloaded the beta client and played the intro mission along with playing around in the forge I think it's called. The place where you can test your deck against different selected enemies. I was having fun with just playing in there for awhile.

This game could be alot of fun but the way it looks once it goes live you'll be buying the booster packs with real money.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Scattershot View Post
        I downloaded the beta client and played the intro mission along with playing around in the forge I think it's called. The place where you can test your deck against different selected enemies. I was having fun with just playing in there for awhile.

This game could be alot of fun but the way it looks once it goes live you'll be buying the booster packs with real money.
        ummm, yah. That's kinda the whole point. It's a TCG. Similar to Pox Nora. You're playing for more than just position on a ladder or endgame accolades, you're playing for your cards. A large part of the "game" itself is knowing how to be smart financially.

What's interesting is the inherent economy that will grow with this game. It'll be very real and very fun. You can transpose earned loot into money or vice versa.

That being said, if you're not good with microtransactions and you have a weakness for collectible games than this game may be your kryptonite. It's a very well put together package in a genre that can empty your wallet.

If you really run the numbers though, figure most people spend about $150/year on each MMO. If you spent that equal amount in BF you'd have quite a stable of cards. Remember, there is no monthly fee to play. The key is restraint; know your budget and stick to it... and be wiley in the market. Got cards you dont play much? trade or sell em. Need a powerful card and have 6 commons? Trade em up for 1 rare. etc.

Smart folk will split tomes (booster boxes) with friends, since they're cheaper and trade amongst themselves.

Anyways, you'll get a lot out of this game if you spend a comparable sum to a normal monthly fee MMO. $15/month is like 5 boosters/month.

Comment

Game is now free to DL from fileplanet whether you're a paid member or not. We've got a TS channel up now for those interested in grouping.

In the past week or so we've had our first taste of 4 person coop group missions and they're pretty fun and definitely a challenge even on standard difficulty.

Also tasted PvP a bit, and realized you better be on your A-game and have your decks in order and adequately upgraded if you stand a chance. Not a lot of room for tactical mistakes.

Anyways, it's a great little game... try it out

Comment

The 4-man coop was extremely fun tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
              The 4-man coop was extremely fun tonight.
              Yah, what I like about it is the coop MMO feel. It's got a content "scalability" missing in a lot of RTSes... you really have to be on your game to progress through the realm(s). Each difficulty level also feels entirely different from the one before it, and give better rewards for completion as well. Not to mention, the maps are designed to put more emphasis on real teamwork rather than a bunch of people each separately pwning their opponents (as in SupCom, Civ, Sins, etc.).

I dunno, it's really tough to find any real FLAWS with this title. Only thing that sticks out to me is the initial resource-rush in small map PvP, i.e. the first one to obtain and hold the center wins almost always. But, that's largely map dependant and I've found that my losses are always to much harder opponents (and you still gain ranking for just trying). Even when I beat them to the punch, I found I couldnt hold it and the match was largely over. Some complain about this, some dont. I personally LIKE the shortness in certain PvP arenas because it allows less "vaguery" in employing proper strats/tactics and counters. TCG tourneys are supposed to be shortlived. I've seen people in MtG tourneys concede after the 1st card is layed! They then tweak their deck and tactics and try again.

So no, the pvp battles are supposed to be short and numerous... honing your skills and deck over time until perfection. If you want longer battles though, just choose larger maps and/or 2v2, 4v4, etc.

Regardless, the major part of the game is still PvE... but you really have to be active in both to really progress fastest (piling up the upgrades).

Only thing for them to really nail down now is the guild UI. I've heard mention that they're supposed to have one, but nothing is set in stone.

Comment

so this is a Card game?
                If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Originally posted by whitelancer11 View Post
                  so this is a Card game?
                  It's not a "card game" in its purest sense. They represent the units you can deploy in traditional card fashion ala Magic: The Gathering, but you deploy them much like any normal RTS.

The "cardeyness" of the game is to simplify organization of your decks and make trading more visceral.

Comment

Beta is now totally open. No FP sub or pre-order is needed.

Enjoy!

Also, all cards are now available and the Tome mechanics are in place.

Comment

Game releases Monday... who's in?
                      There's no guild UI as of yet so organization will have to be through the forum/TS. And this is NOT a game you want to PUG; you need to play with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                        Game releases Monday... who's in?
                        There's no guild UI as of yet so organization will have to be through the forum/TS. And this is NOT a game you want to PUG; you need to play with friends.
                        Maybe me.

Comment

Game is basically "Live" now. Full release is tomorrow though.
                          There IS a trial account you can use right now to experience the game for free.

Comment

sup gambit. we need to catch up. i got the game via digital dl

Comment

I've been wasting my life away on this cracktastic game.
                              Hit me up in xfire, steam, or on TS, or in-game as "Ghambit."

I'm collecting fire/frost right now, but I've given away most of my Nature already. If you go Shadow I might be able to help you out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X