Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivion problem.

Hi people

I recently decided to start playing TES4:Oblivion again. Ive had it since late 2007 and have played it many times for many hours. This time however, the game continuously freezes and crashes once i do a command. An example is when i bring up the items menu, the whole screen freezes and i cant do anything. When i do ctrl-alt-del it says the game is still 'Responding'.

I have restarted the pc, cleaned the disk, reinstalled the game, and now i am trying to install the latest patch, but im getting this error:

"Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since the file contents do not match"

I dont know if this is a related error or not, and i dont even know if patching the game will stop the freezing. I got this patch through xfire if this makes any difference.

My System:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 150 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra (2x)
    Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC (Digital)
    Sound Card: Speakers (3- C-Media CM108 Like Sound Device)
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
    Motherboard: (Cant remember)

Of course the problem with this is that it shouldnt be something wrong with my PC because i have played oblivion many times on it before, anyone got any solutions to the patching problem or the freezing problem?

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
    "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Re: Oblivion problem.

What I can say about patching, is that I've gotten exactly same error but game has been running perfectly besides that. Might be that game already includes patch, or there is something else that prevents patching, had this with old computer and new one.

Have you moved any of the folders, mods or done anything that might cause game not to find some file (menu skin for instance)?

Comment

I never fiddle with any of the game files unless told to (to fix something)

Anyways i just played Oblivion of 1 and a half hours and it didnt freeze, i think the problem just fixed itself lol. There were a number of hiccups.. and the grass is purple insted of green, but it seems to be working.

No advance on the patching situation though.

Edit: nope it just froze again
      Last edited by BlindGamer; 02-02-2009, 08:44 AM.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

Comment

You sure you aren't having heat issues with your video cards? If you're getting funky colors and the computer is locking up then I would be very suspicious of that.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

It might be overheating, but then again all my other games work fine, so i dont know

Comment

When you have lots of stuff in your inventory it'll load for couple of seconds, but that can't be it.
            I've noticed that the amount of RAM you got affects to crashes. On my old computer it used to crash many times, after we upgraded the computer - no more crashes. At all.

You might want to go to www.elderscrolls.com and download a patch through there.

Comment

I almost always do a reboot before I play. I do crash from time to time but it could be something else eating all your memory.

However the nature of your issue does sound like a patch bug. If you're good now cool but otherwise I'd reinstall. Corruption happens.

If just the grass is purple and everything else looks fine it's not overheating. I don't know much about xfire but it sounds like corruption.

BTW you can move your save files to a different location and after you reinstall you can put them back and you can keep the saves. I'm not sure how well it works with a lot of mods but it's great for vanilla.

Comment

Hello!Welcome to the site! I hope to be friend with you in the future!
                dcuo gold,

Comment

You said very good!Thanks,I will remember!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X