Borderlands - Technical Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borderlands - Technical Tips

This thread is intended to contain technical tips for configuring and using Borderlands. Gameplay tips should probably be directed to a different thread. Damonte makes no claims to discovering these, aside from 'discovering' by searching other websites.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Re: Borderlands - Technical Tips

In-game VOIP is voice activated by default. There is (currently) no in game option to change it. To disable it go to:

Windows 2000/XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.i ni

Windows Vista/7:
    C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.i ni

and change the following line:

Code:
    bHasVoiceEnabled=true
    To:

Code:
    bHasVoiceEnabled=false

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

If you plan on hosting a game, you need to ensure that you have port forwarding properly configured. Otherwise people will time out trying to connect to your game. Also, verify that the ports are open on any software firewalls (including Windows firewall).

These ports need to be open and forwarded to your computer that runs Borderlands:
      7777 (TCP/UDP)
      28900 (TCP)
      27900 (UDP)
      28910 (TCP)
      28902 - not in the readme, but opening this port helped alot of people

Comment

The start-up videos can be quite annoying after the second time you load the game. To disable intro videos, do the following:

Windows 2000/XP:
        C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.i ni

Windows Vista/7:
        C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.i ni

Find:
        Code:
        [FullScreenMovie]
        StartupMovies=2K_logo
        StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
        StartupMovies=NVidia
        StartupMovies=Loading
        SkippableMovies=2K_logo
        SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
        SkippableMovies=Attract
        SkippableMovies=NVidia
        and comment out lines like so:
        Code:
        [FullScreenMovie]
        ;StartupMovies=2K_logo
        ;StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
        ;StartupMovies=NVidia
        ;StartupMovies=Loading
        ;SkippableMovies=2K_logo
        ;SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
        ;SkippableMovies=Attract
        ;SkippableMovies=NVidia

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
          In-game VOIP is voice activated by default. There is (currently) no in game option to change it. To disable it go to:

Windows 2000/XP:

Windows Vista/7:

and change the following line:

Code:
          bHasVoiceEnabled=true
          To:

Code:
          bHasVoiceEnabled=false

This is good stuff, currently the ingame voice is always on so the game can sound like a darth vader convension. Also hinders use of ts as you get the echo going in the game.

Comment

Here's more.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=51953053

Comment

a list of known issues and fixes from the Gearbox forums

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...ad.php?t=77748
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

..and don't forget...

after you open the ports on your router....

open the same ports through your firewall...

and use portforwards PFP checker program to test them.

Now I'm dying to play on co-op....

Comment

Workarounds that have worked for most people if you can host public games but are having problems hosting a private game:

Join the lobby, and invite everybody to the game. They will time out. When they do, leave the lobby, create a new lobby and invite the same players again. The second time they will connect almost immediately (this is a GSA issue).

If that doesn't work, try creating a private lobby and join the game first, then invite friends from inside the game itself.

It is not possible for two people behind the same Router to connect to an online game created by the other person. It is possible for both people to connect to a game created by somebody outside the Router.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

A new workaround has been posted to fix a severe bug/working as intended issue that has cropped up lately.

Apparently, because of odd consoleitis or something to that effect, weaponcards for weapons and class modules can only display the first 4 effects of the item. However, they may have 5-10 effects, and just won't display them. This is due in part to the fonts used with the scaleform backend (using SWF to control/display fonts in-line in the game) and thier inability to code for/provide a text scroll or anything in that box.

What this means is, sometimes you could have a classmod that say, provides +36% team elemental chance, or team ammo regen, or other effects, yet will look the exact same as one that didn't have those effects, so you might have sold the much more valuable one instead.

CURRENTLY, this hackfix will show 5 weapon effects (this seems to be hardcoded) even though they could have more, but will display a decent amount of class mods.

Or to give more detailed directions:

Go to %BORDERLANDS%\WillowGame\Localization\INT\
                    Find the gd_globals.INT file. MAKE A BACKUP.
                    Open the gd_globals.INT file.
                    Replace
                    Code:

AttributePresentationTranslation="$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$"

with
                    Code:

AttributePresentationTranslation="<font size="10">$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$</font>"

If you have a large monitor, you can reduce the font size to 8 or smaller if you wish. 10 is about as small as it can get on my dinky monitor and still be readable.
                    Before/After screenshots of the hackfix:

Before:

(the thing on the side is the debug console they found out how to hack in with one of the INIs to help with this problem)

AFTER:

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

go to user/my documents/my games/borderlands/willow game/config and open up the willowgame folder, hit crtl+f and search for friendly

Change this line from:

bIgnoreFriendlyFire=true

To

bIgnoreFriendlyFire=false

*NOTE* the host must have this setting changed, for clients it doesn't matter.
                      Last edited by Morganan; 11-02-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the tip Bisclaveret.

How did they not catch this when testing the game?

Comment

I don't know. Part of it may be the rush, part of it may be working as intended (It's currently impossible from what we know ATM for a weaponcard to display more than 5 lines, any additional lines fall off, and some even in the debug screen).

There IS a code in willowengine.ini
                          [WillowGame.WillowUIWeaponCardBase]
                          StatCycleTime=1.0

But it's unknown excactly what that does, does that mean they intended the stats to cycle in a set interval and scroll/autoscroll? does that affect for example, the shotgun's damage - X cycling? noone knows, tampering with the nuimber doesn't seem to do anything, making it a boolean switch doesn't do anything. Maybe somewhere in the game the coding is broke.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Here's the main thread on the Gearbox forums for all the discovered tweaks. The first post seems to be updated regularly so check that often.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...ad.php?t=79043

And here's the latest one about binding a key to show your FPS.

Within WillowInput.ini:

Search for [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]. Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:
                            Bindings=(Name="F12",Command="stat fps",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrig g er=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgn oreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
                            Also it seems by default the game runs in DX9 mode. I saw this on another forum how to run the game in DX10. Now I can't tell any difference and I don't know how to verify that you actually are running in DX10 so bear that in mind.

Open up WillowEngine.ini
                            Under the [SystemSettings]

Change the following values to true.
                            • AllowD3D10=True
                            • MotionBlur=True
                            • DepthOfField=True
                            • Bloom=True
                            • UseHighQualityBloom=True
                            • FogVolumes=True

Comment

Hi guys pliz i need default "config" folder because all binds are gone and i cant even mouve mouse and i got non steam borderlands.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X