DA:O questions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA:O questions?

Just wondering... really not much of a CRPG player... I've done some in the past... long ago... but never been my "area" of gaming...

I'm stuck all day on one boss battle... no matter what I do I can't win it, hell the bad guy doesn't even drop to 1/4th damage...

When your stuck in a game like this, what the hell you suppose to do, start over from scratch? Go through all that again? Even if I loaded an earlier game, it wouldn't change that much... it's still more of the beginning of the game.

Also, I got those 2 DLC mini-games, how do I play those? Maybe I can level up there first?

Thx
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: DA:O questions?

Not sure on the first part, but the DLC content should open up after you get to the town of lothering. With out giving to much away itll be the first town you come to after you meet duncan and do what he tells you too.

Comment

what class are you playing and what bad guy are you talking about?

Each class/background you choose gives you a different storyline and different challenges to defeat.

Comment

Royal Human Warrior... against the orge in the tower.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I'm playing a City Elf Warrior, two-handed weapon. Alistair was my tank at that point, he had the heaviest armor, sword-and-shield. Normal difficulty. Here's what worked for me, Magnum:

As soon as the cutscene ended, I paused the game and moved the archer and the mage to the periphery of the area. The archer was on the "Archer" and "Ranged" tactics, the mage was on... I can't remember which tactic set it was, but his behavior was set to Cautious to keep him from running right up next to me or Alistair like a dumbass and taking the ogre's repeated AoE attacks.

So the mage and the archer are plinking away at him from afar. Creatures are attracted to attack characters with the heaviest armor, so he locked onto Alistair and started pummeling away. I put Alistair on the Shield Defense sustained skill for the big defensive boost. I had a different sustained skill active, I can't remember the name. Indomitable, I think, makes my character immune to knockdowns, stuns, etc.

Alistair did what he could to absorb the orge's punishment while I hacked away at the creature from behind. Eventually, Alistair ran low on health (despite me pausing and having him use health potions) and the ogre picked him up and beat him to unconsciousness. It turned to me, started pounding on me. I ran out of potions and was low on health, but the ogre had about 25% health by then, so I turned and ran around the arena with the ogre chasing me around. Basically the mage and the archer finished the ogre off.

If you're playing on Normal, get used to tapping that spacebar for a "tactical pause". It helps, and is necessary. On Easy you can get away with realtime combat. Remember to also tinker with your AI partners' Tactics sets.

Comment

Gill has it right, you are going to have to get used to "kiting" mobs around quite a bit in this game on anything above easy difficulty. By kiting I mean running around having mobs chase you like a kite on a string. If you are playing as a melee character, I would suggest always keeping your group filled with ranged characters and getting "aggro" on the mobs yourself, then running around in circles letting your ranged people finish them off until the mobs are at a more manageable level of health for you to handle without dying. That reason alone is why I learned to never play a melee character in a BW game unless it's a jedi.

Comment

thx... I'm on medium and used the tactics screen... and your way was the closest I ever got to beating him... will have to try again, really don't want to restart the game.
              Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Also, any kind of successful stun attack (like winters grasp if the mage has it) will cause the ogre to drop whoever he has picked up and is bashing on. That was key for me beating him as a mage.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Have faith Magnum my human noble warrior beat the orge in the tower with only myself (Markus), alister, my dog (Barkus), and the random mage I picked up. One of the things that really helped me was that my mage had fire weapons and that was a nice increase in damage for my two guys. Its a lot of micro but its possible to pause right as the orge starts to attack and move a character out of the way sometimes. You just have to really watch out when he picks someone up and beats on him, I got around that by using my mage's stun ability but that is not a 100% strategy since I've watched as alister got the snot beat out of him as the spell was resisted. I also had to resort to some kiting at the end but I could have seen this going a lot better with more ranged damage than melee but you would just have to be super careful with your one tank.
                  Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

And to add on it seems that a patch is released, there is a DL link in the article but I have a feeling that most of us have it from steam

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61158

Change list:
                    Fixed potential corruption of character statistics.
                    Fixed portrait appearance sliders when importing a character from the downloadable Character Creator.
                    Fixed import for preset face settings from the downloadable Character Creator.
                    Made Easy difficulty easier.
                    Slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty.
                    Fixed video issues when running on a very wide screen display, including ATI Eyefinity displays.
                    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                      my dog (Barkus), a
                      LOL Barkus... ;-)
                      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I found that when trying to Deal with the Undead in redcliff...with my level 6/7 characters Iget trounced.. I restarted at an earlier point and am trying to do alot of the side quests to level up a bit.. Seems my Elf/mage does alot of healing from afar.....
                        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                          I found that when trying to Deal with the Undead in redcliff...with my level 6/7 characters Iget trounced.. I restarted at an earlier point and am trying to do alot of the side quests to level up a bit.. Seems my Elf/mage does alot of healing from afar.....
                          Get the dwarf in the house along the water to help you, he is worth the 100 silver. I had to go back to an earlier save with my mage to get him. Then I started up top, cleared that out then followed the guy down to help out. I aggroed a few of the mobs and drug them up top and kited them around while the now 6 guys guarding the top dispatched them easily. Rinse/repeat until you have held on long enough. I completed it at lvl 6 easily after failing to many times to count until I changed tactics.

Comment

I had no problems helping the knights, but the militia sadly got raped. No survivors amongst that group.

Comment

For some reason I found the ogre as a human/rogue to be laughably easy. The mage, who I called "Unnamed Expendable", cast Paralysis and the ogre was pretty much helpless from the get go. I guess I just had a very lucky string of failed mental resistance checks or he's just really weak to debuffs like that.

Winter's grasp (mage), Dirty Deeds (rogue), and Shield Bash (warrior) all get the ogre to drop any grabbed characters. The next time I faced an ogre I actually just stunlocked the silly thing till I whittled its health down to nothing.

Did the mage's circle before redcliff since you can get a healer there and the story seriously impressed me.

On a down note...I'm one of the unfortunate few who can't use DLC because it just doesn't show up on my travel map. Quite a downer really and there's no fix for the issue which pops up randomly amongst users and sometimes shows up after you've completed the DLC.
                              My sanity is not in question...
                              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X