Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Effect 2

Anyone else playing this?

Just like the first one I ended up playing through it twice with the focus on Renegade and then Paragon. I never timed it but you're probably looking at 30 - 40 hours to play it through and just like the first game, the story is outstanding.

Personally I thought the ratings for the game were high with Game Informer giving it a 9.5. While the combat and NPCs in general were improved, there were an equal number of things which they messed up. I would include the two useless mini-games plus personally I missed the Mako for planet exploration. The scanning planet thing they added is monotonous beyond belief and is never fun at all. Didn't miss the inventory at all although I do recall liking the different armor sets you could get in the first one. On the other hand they have some nice customization of your uniform that you can do.

Overall I'd recommend the game but if you didn't play the first then definitely play it first. This is going to be a trilogy and the third game is expected sometime in early 2012.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Re: Mass Effect 2

I bought Mass Effect 1 and 2 at the same time, just before ME2 came out, and they are both brilliant. I finished Mass Effect 2 yesterday and I focused on being a Paragon as I found the Renegade actions a little too close to being a jerk for my liking (although the punch button was fun).

As Bernout said, don't play Mass Effect 2 without playing the original. I can't decide which one is better - the combat in Mass Effect 2 is better than the first, but the story/choices in Mass Effect are more meaningful.
    It's really special to import your character from the first game into the second - you're not just playing as Commander Shepard, you're playing as you're Commander Shapard, which makes the intro to ME2 (no spoilers, but it's a good 'un) a very powerful moment. I found myself a bit disappointed over how they handled the meeting of old friends - especially Liara. She just gives Shepard a quick kiss and says "I'm busy, can you help?" Luckily one of the conversation choices explains why she's acting how she is, rather than just having a seemingly irrational hatred for an extremely minor character.

Overall, I'd give Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 10 thorough endorsements out of 10. And, come on, Mass Effect is only thirteen Anglo-pounds on Steam right now. It's gotta be worth it.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Mass Effect 2 has been keeping me off the servers for ages. I can't stop playing it.

I for one am mad about the loss of the inventory management portion of the game. Oh boy, now there's only 1 set of armor (if you don't have the DLC armors, all of which suck compared to upgraded default) and a very small collection of weapons. I wouldn't have minded just a simplified inventory system, but this is to much. Can't put armor on my teammates? Half of them run around without hardsuits on!

That rant aside, it is a very good game with a great story if you overlook the little things.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
        Mass Effect 2 has been keeping me off the servers for ages. I can't stop playing it.

I for one am mad about the loss of the inventory management portion of the game. Oh boy, now there's only 1 set of armor (if you don't have the DLC armors, all of which suck compared to upgraded default) and a very small collection of weapons. I wouldn't have minded just a simplified inventory system, but this is to much. Can't put armor on my teammates? Half of them run around without hardsuits on!

That rant aside, it is a very good game with a great story if you overlook the little things.
        Agreed. The story definitely saves it and the carry over of decisions from the first game was a nice touch (although not nearly as significant as some reviews would lead you to believe).

BTW, I'd recommend playing on hardcore difficulty. The battles were then closer to Dragon Age difficulty which I think most TG'ers would appreciate more. :) Of course I should warn you that you may be driven half mad by the lack of save anytime during combat. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I still have yet to complete my renegade game but you have to be a real jerk to do it. lol

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
            I still have yet to complete my renegade game but you have to be a real jerk to do it. lol
            Yeah, I'm on my second playthrough using my levelled-up Paragon character from first time round. I'm trying to be a Renegade but it doesn't feel right to see Shepard acting like such a meanie.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I'm working on a renegade playthrough right now with an imported char from ME1. Already went the Paragon route.

Comment

While my char is mostly Paragon, I often take Renegade options when they give me an advantage in a battle (you know, like shooting an explosive barrel standing next to a badguy immersed in a monologue telling me the many ways he is going to kill me). Thus my character is mostly a good guy that doesn't hesitate to take action when needed. ;)
                sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post
                  While my char is mostly Paragon, I often take Renegade options when they give me an advantage in a battle (you know, like shooting an explosive barrel standing next to a badguy immersed in a monologue telling me the many ways he is going to kill me). Thus my character is mostly a good guy that doesn't hesitate to take action when needed. ;)
                  Yeah, that's generally how mine is - kind whenever possible, but ruthless when necessary (which are basically the definitions of Paragon and Renegade anyway). I didn't even punch that reporter again! I feel conflicted...
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

As much as I've always wanted to punch reporters (well, only a few, not all of them) I never did so in ME: why punch her when you can demolish her with your wit (in particular if you saved the Council in the first ME) :D
                    sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                      Yeah, I'm on my second playthrough using my levelled-up Paragon character from first time round. I'm trying to be a Renegade but it doesn't feel right to see Shepard acting like such a meanie.
                      I find this funny because I played through the first ME as a renegade and it makes me think it'd be weird so see the Commander act the near overly nice I see in the paragon options sometimes. Doesn't mean I don't pick paragon options plenty, I ended up keeping a ratio of renegade/paragon 1/.75 the entire games(s).

Having played both for my first time back to back I think I liked ME1 better. Story/Dialogue on ME2 seemed lacking and the fact they made the combat more Gears of War-y, the skills seemed cut down, inventory/items completely cut... just didn't jive with the first very well. ME2 on it's own is still good but still a bit of a disappointment IMO.

Comment

I've played this game way too much since it came out. I've now completed a play through with vanguard (veteran, mix), sentinel (hardcore, mostly renegade), soldier (veteran, paragon), infiltrator (normal, forgot), and I am working on a soldier on insanity right now. Its been a wild ride seeing everything that Bioware put into this game. Combat is different from the first game but its ok, I do miss crouch though and being able to decide what cover is. I can understand that they are just appealing to a wider audience, that's the way things always go, for better or worse. I love all the variety in the combat that the different classes have to offer and different combinations of powers/abilities. The story is of course top notch and I can't wait to see how decisions in ME2 play out in ME3.
                        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Used a default shepard on my first ME2 playthrough and was highly upset with the decisions they give to you, so I bought ME1 off steam(I bought the Xbox 360 version when it first came out.)

Spoilers below so don't read ahead if you haven't finished yet.

With my soldier imported Shepard I completed my first playthrough on Veteran. My real playthrough that is gonna be used for ME3 will have the Rachni saved, the heretic Geth rewritten, Wrex uniting all the Krogran with the cure I saved from Mordin's loyalty mission and the collector base given to the Illusive Man. I am curious to see what will happen between the Quarians and the Geth now. I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone who haven't finished the game.

Comment

This site might be useful if you don't have a ME1 save.

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
                              UWith my soldier imported Shepard I completed my first playthrough on Veteran. My real playthrough that is gonna be used for ME3 will have the Rachni saved, the heretic Geth rewritten, Wrex uniting all the Krogran with the cure I saved from Mordin's loyalty mission and the collector base given to the Illusive Man. I am curious to see what will happen between the Quarians and the Geth now. I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone who haven't finished the game.
                              Speaking of which, did you notice that Claudia Black did the voice for one of the Quarian Admirals? Given her huge role in Dragon Age as Morrigan and throw in the fact that Adam Baldwin voiced Kal'Reegar and I'm thinking the Quarians have a major role in ME3.

Purely speculation though...so no real spoilers there. ;)

Anyhow, once I finish playing ME3 and know the full story line, I definitely plan on playing through all 3 games one after another. Hopefully there will be some good mods by that time which can spice things up too. Of course the Xbox users don't have that last option. :P

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...