Alpha Protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Protocol

So. Never have I seen a game that gets as bipolar a split in reviews as I have with this game. You have my assurance that if you enjoy RPGs, then this game is a GREAT purchase. I mean, GREAT. I played this goddamn game for about 10 hours straight yesterday on my day-off, completely unable to pull myself away from the unfolding story (I eventually forced myself to save and quit).

Yes, it is a bit rough around the edges. It is still a fantastic experience thus far. I initially wrote it off thanks to a harsh Game Informer review, but a PC Gamer review pleading with everyone to give it a chance changed my mind. Some applicable articles:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...lpha-protocol/ (take a bit of time to read through the user comments)

http://free-pc-guides.com/games/diff...os-wrong-01928

Yes, it has some bugs. I've read about some weird crap going on, but... yeah. Most PC games have bugs. Alpha Protocol doesn't seem to like Windows 7 64-bit (my copy of the game freaked the hell out in the opening cinema, so I switched to running it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode... no problems from there on out).

Re: Alpha Protocol

Cool. I am going to pick up it eventually. I am always interested in trying out different kinds of RPG games.

Comment

I'll get a detailed (spoiler-free) write-up in a blog post sometime soon giving my opinion on the game, warts and all.

Comment

About Alpha Protocol I can say that it shows that it is an Obsidian game: pretty much like the games developed by the defunct Troika, Obsidian games have interesting concepts and superb writing, but always fall short on the technical term.
        AP has a few bugs, many more glitches, the engine was not used to the full potential, the gameplay is unbalanced toward the combat aspect (what with the fact that it is impossible to avoid most "boss fights"), but I'm currently doing a third playthrough of the game, and I'm having Fun.
        While it is no Mass Effect 2 (FUN, all capitalized, possibly with an AWESOME in front), it is still a fun game, with a relatively complex story, plot-twists, interesting characters, nice "cause-and-effect" storywriting and a concept that has never been used in a modern RPG (that I know of).

Just don't do as I did and play the first time on Hard: it really is.
        sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post
          About Alpha Protocol I can say that it shows that it is an Obsidian game: pretty much like the games developed by the defunct Troika, Obsidian games have interesting concepts and superb writing, but always fall short on the technical term.
          Yep. Basically I believe they are too ambitious and over-commit for the time frame they agree to complete the game in.

I've been burned too many times by Obsidian games to give this one a try. Although your comments do tempt me...perhaps if I pick it up dirt cheap. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
            Yep. Basically I believe they are too ambitious and over-commit for the time frame they agree to complete the game in.

I've been burned too many times by Obsidian games to give this one a try. Although your comments do tempt me...perhaps if I pick it up dirt cheap. ;)

Bernout
            Well, as I said: it has a few bugs, and a few glitches as well, but it's nothing gamebreaking. The only real issue is that the gameplay is not really well-balanced, but the writing is, as almost always, superb and the concept interesting. I bought it full price, and I've yet to regret doing so. :)
            sigpic

Comment

I'm also loving this game. Clunky game play aside the writing really draws you in. It's like you're the main character in a Bond movie.

I'm on my second playthrough as a Rambo. Already did the stealthy operative thing the first time. This time, it's all about the killing.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

The Rambo approach has one of the funniest and action-packed mission introduction in the game, when you are in Moscow (as long as you chose the right handler in a previous mission).
                You'll know what I mean when you'll see it. :p
                sigpic

Comment

The writing is stellar, no doubt about that. I've having a great time running through the game a second-time giving everyone the Aggressive approach.

Comment

You said very good!Thanks,I will remember!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X