X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Age 2 has been announced

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...epic-story.ars

I loved the first game and i really cant wait for this one, Bioware are probably my favourite company at the moment. Comes out next march or febuary.

Re: Dragon Age 2 has been announced

I just hope they don't go complete Mass Effect on it, their already going that way with the new "hero" only able to choose a male or female named "Hawke".

Comment

Hrmm. Not sure what I think. Poster on the forums shared my opinion:

So... How is it a sequal?
      No Warden?
      No Morrigan ending?
      No Morrigan's child?
      No return of old favorite characters?
      All new adventure?
      Anyone else as dissapointed as I am? I mean They didnt exactly put an ending on the 1st one.
      As much as I LOVED the 1st one I'm not exicted about the next

Comment

I agree with the post Gill linked. They might as well delete the number 2 after Dragon Age and call it something altogether to distinguish the games if they don't plan on bringing back old characters.

Which would be a shame as both Dragon Age and Awakening had some truly memorable characters (some more memorable than certain Mass Effect characters).

Comment

Yeah, i'm not sure to think about the new character. I want my 6 other characters to be in the second but then i'm looking forwards to the new story and a fresh character would be nice.

I think this person sums up how i would like it.

R.U.N wrote...

There seems to be a huge backlash regarding the new P.C, which actually isn't suprising.
          I think people feel like Hawke is replacing the Warden who they have come to identify with.
          They're going to take it personal, it's like YOU saved Ferelden had all these adventures and build relationships with YOUR companions and now this new kid on the block isn't only taking your role, but is also supposed to be the most important person in the world of DA?

How would Robert De Niro feel being replaced by a guy called ''Hawke'', because the studio thinks Hawke is ''super hot'' and ''cool''?

Why not use the Warden to build up Hawke?
          If your decisions carry over anyway and both are present in the game let the Warden be the distant ''other Hero'' who does what he has do do and make a clear cut that he's there but you're Hawke now and he has his own story.
          No competition between these two.
          Two equal heroes having their own story, but both present within the same world.

Also, if DA:O Companions are to return in DA2 then don't make them playable.
          No one wants to see Hawke being Alistairs new best buddy, Lelianas lover or the guy running after Morrigan.
          As a cameo with the Warden (random encounter for example) it might be a nice suprise, but otherwise this would cheapen the companions and the Warden.

That way Hawke isn't going to be a cheap replacement for the Warden, but an equal new character who doesn't diminish the former.

Just some thoughts.

I'm aware that this might have been already considered, but with the recent chaos on the forums who knows what's going on with the game anyway :).
          Especially considering how serious the PR stuff was taken....

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../index/3081605

Also heres another post i saw.

Until there's an official FAQ, I thought it might be useful to post what few cold, hard facts we have in one place, with links.

DA2 home page: http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/
          Official DA Twitter: http://twitter.com/dragonage

From the press release:

* The main character's surname is Hawke

* Hawke survived "the Blight"

* Hawke is known as "the Champion of Kirkwall"

* Hawke is a "refugee"

* DA2's story will span 10 years

* DA2 will be released in March 2011 for PC, XBox 360, and PS3

From the forums:

* Morrigan is NOT Hawke's mother; Hawke is NOT the "god baby" [Victor Wachter]

* Hawke can be male or female [David Gaider], [Mary Kirby], [Chris Priestly]

* Hawke is human [Chris Priestly]

* DA2 is a single-player game [Chris Priestly]

* "More than half" of the Dragon Age left by the time Awakening begins [David Gaider]

* "Hawke can, indeed, be a mage." [Mary Kirby]

* There will be more DLC and patches for DAO before DA2 is released [Chris Priestly], [Chris Priestly]

* No word so far on different editions [Chris Priestly]

* There is no "morality meter" in the style of Mass Effect's Paragon/Renegade meter [David Gaider]

From GameInformer (take with a grain of salt, some links not available):

* Hawke will be voiced [Five Facts]

* Hawke lived in Lothering during the events of DA:O, fled north to Kirkwall [Five Facts]

* Kirkwall is a major population center in the Free Marches [Five Facts]

* "Hawke will also spend time in other areas of the Free Marches" [Five Facts]

* Game will use imported save from Dragon Age: Origins [Print magazine]

* Flemeth will appear [Print magazine]

* Intra-party conflict may be more significant (?) [Print magazine]

* Mass Effect-style dialogue wheel with paraphrased lines and symbols denoting tone [Print magazine]

* “Dragon Age II has a framed narrative structure, which means that
          the exploits of Hawke occured in the past, but are being retold in the
          present.” “Narrators with unique insights into the events in question
          tell the tale of his past adventures.” [Print magazine]

* Events from Dragon Age: Origins may be seen from a different viewpoint [Print magazine]

* PC combat largely unchanged, console combat changed to better suit the controller [Print magazine]

From elsewhere:

* Kirkwall is located on the southern edge of the Vimmark Mountains, north of Ferelden [this map]

Comment

This...

* Game will use imported save from Dragon Age: Origins [Print magazine]

...and this...

* Events from Dragon Age: Origins may be seen from a different viewpoint

...lead me to believe that concerns over DA:O's hero being sidelined and never mentioned will not happen. Your actions and character exists in DA2. You're simply playing a different person. The event will seem to be in the style of Alpha Protocol (most of the events of the game being recounted by Mike Thornton and Henry Leland in an interrogation happened already, but are being told in the present tense). What I can't determine: do the events of Hawke happen concurrently to the events of the storyline in DA:O?

* Events from Dragon Age: Origins may be seen from a different viewpoint [Print magazine] leads me to believe so.

Comment

So the imported save will only count for events that occured in that save? Seems kind of lame.

Comment

My guess is that the choices you made in DAO will be mentioned in DA2, nothing more than that. None of the countries surrounding Ferelden seemed too concerned about the Blight (as they didn't send any military assistance) so I don't foresee any massive changes to DA2's storyline based on what you did in DAO.

Comment

This is going to be a whole new part of the world, I expect that bioware has a plan. They will likely bring these characters together story wise and keep tacking on content for your story in each section of the world. For origins it's ferelden and your characters there and da2 will be the new area.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                    So the imported save will only count for events that occured in that save? Seems kind of lame.
                    I don't understand. Events that occurred in that save, as opposed to things you didn't do being mentioned.
                    'I can't believe that Grey Warden killed person x.'
                    'S/he didn't.'
                    'Well, not in the save you imported, no, but s/he did the first time through the game.'
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

There's a lengthy article about DA2 in this month's Game Informer.

Regarding previous decisions: yes, it will be in the manner of your choices during DA: Origins being mentioned in the game, nothing more.

From what I read, I liked.

Comment

I'm going to keep faith in Bioware, they have a great track record. I'll need to pick up that new GI and check it out.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed DA:O and DA:A but really had hoped that the next chapter would have centered around existing characters. I have found Bioware games very compelling, so I'll probably indulge this game as well and hope that they will continue to follow the original characters with new content.
                          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Just a heads up to you guys that like BIOWARE, a while back(just before the release of DragonAge) they were aquired by EA. Supposedly they are to be given pretty free reign on the development part of things, but I'm not sure how far I trust anything they say.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If Bioware could combine the cinematic dialogue and cut-scenes from Mass Effect games with Dragon Age's combat system (improved of course), Dragon Age 2 would be an instant preorder for me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X