Could you land it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you land it?

Stumbled into this link, all I can say is WOW!!!

Read this story, click the pic's

http://tailslide.firelight.dynip.com/f15wing.asp
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-

Re: Could you land it?

Yeah I read this a while back - found it in some lomac forum somewhere. I think it has also been replicated in lomac too!
    Jex.

Comment

WOW... that's ballsy...

What I don't understand is teh use of a hook to land on a conventional airstrip...always thought those were aircraft-carrier only....

Comment

The arresting hook is exactly what its name implies... an emergency stopping device. Typically land based aircraft do not have reinforced arresting hooks like the carrier based ones do. He was more lucky than anything else hitting the runway at 260+ knots. At that speed he would not only have broken the arresting hook on the aircraft but severely damaged the barrier cable setup.

In full AB it is no wonder he was able to keep it in the air... that is like flying a rocket. Who needs lift when you have overwhelming power?

The F-15C creates lift coefficent similar to a flat rock skipping over water... it just compensates with power and once the power is reduced it sinks (actual numbers are similar to the F-16 which is 6 feet foward for every foot down). That is why the engine orientation is somewhat uphill. In perfectly level flight the engines are actually forcing the aircraft up and foward instead of just foward. The wings, stablilators and tail are merely guides and control surfaces.. they serve very little function beyond that. This concept also explains why vectored thrust aircraft are far more manueverable. They can actually change the direction of the power output instead of using small amounts of drag and lift as a normal aircraft does.

That's all for today class. ;)
        Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Comment

hehe... cool.. did not know about the hook thing....

And yeah, vectored-thrust planes are cool... I got to see a harrier up close doing some really neat manuevers once....

Comment

I was reading about that particular landing in the LOMAC forums a while back. They also say that other parts of the F15 generate some lift, not just the wings. I'm more likely to believe that the AB helped more than the lift he was generating. He also ripped through the cable for the arresting hook, which the pilot thought would happen.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

OK so let's replicate it? Is it possible to snap off a wing in lock on?
              Jex.

Comment

ROFL Jex... That is a thing of chance. It might take 15 or 20 tries to get a wing off and then 15 or 20 more of those to actually land the bird. You do the math and tell me how long we would have to play. ;)
                Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Comment

It seems impossible in lockon to handle any aircraft with major structural damage and yes I've managed to loose my wing in lockon lol. It seems any major damage and the aircraft just becomes uncontrollable and you have to put the yellow handle between your legs.

In my opinion Janes F/A-18 has the best landings. Nothing like doing a carrier landing in pitch black with no night vision, no hud, controls damaged and on a single engine with no option other than ejecting or landing it on your first try.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X