Propeller Pitch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Pitch

Anyone use it? Anyone understand it? I THINK is get the basic idea behind it, but have a hard time understanding when, and how much, to use it. Is there anyone out there that could explain the basics of this, sort of along the lines of "Prop. Pitch 101", or "Prop. Pitch for Dummies"? :)

Re: Propeller Pitch

:icon_conf not a clue I dont use it ! Let the computer take care of it :icon15:

Comment

Originally posted by Opus
      Anyone use it? Anyone understand it? I THINK is get the basic idea behind it, but have a hard time understanding when, and how much, to use it. Is there anyone out there that could explain the basics of this, sort of along the lines of "Prop. Pitch 101", or "Prop. Pitch for Dummies"? :)
      The pitch of a propeller is defined as the straight-line distance the propeller would travel forward with one revolution of the prop. The greater the pitch, the farther the plane will be pulled forward with one revoution of the propeller. Since the prop "bites" the air as it turns, you can think of the pitch as "how big a bite" it's taking every time the engine makes 1 rpm. Obviously, the higher the pitch, the faster the plane will go per rpm, but at a cost - less torque.

I like to think of the pitch as analagous to gears in a car - higher gear => higher speed, but if you try to start out in top gear it will take a long time to get there. Conversely, you don't want to be revving it up in 2nd gear at 70mph (unless you're trying to overtake another car!). Variable pitch allows you to tune the pitch to the airspeed, so you can make your preferred tradeoff betwen torque and speed.

Comment

Thanks Nipplecorn. So as a percentage, the higher the percentage the more "bite" the prop takes?

And when specifically might you want to be at either end of the spectrum? I would think you would want lots of bite, or highter pitch percentage, as you increase speed to maximize top speed. And conversely if you were climbing you may want less bite to keep the rpms higher and run the engine more efficiently.

Also, I've played a little bit with the "prop feather" option. It seems to flatten out the prop almost like putting the engine in neutral. Makes for quick hammer heads :icon14:
        New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
          Thanks Nipplecorn. So as a percentage, the higher the percentage the more "bite" the prop takes?

And when specifically might you want to be at either end of the spectrum? I would think you would want lots of bite, or highter pitch percentage, as you increase speed to maximize top speed. And conversely if you were climbing you may want less bite to keep the rpms higher and run the engine more efficiently.

Also, I've played a little bit with the "prop feather" option. It seems to flatten out the prop almost like putting the engine in neutral. Makes for quick hammer heads :icon14:
          A good, thorough (but kind of long) explanation of propeller pitch - with pictures - is available here.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X