X3 & X2 Available on Steam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X3 & X2 Available on Steam

For those that have Steam (or need a reason to DL it), space sim flyers X3: Reunion and X2: The Threat are available for a modest price on Steam.

I've never played anything from the series, but it looks like a Wing Commander/Privateer sort of game. X3 got really mixed reviews, with some sites like GameSpy totally ripping it, while others gave it a perfect score. I'm not sure if I'll try this one because I have my hands full with far too many other games right now. I was a huge fan of the Wing Commander series though, so if this is anything like that, I might try it out later on down the road.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: X3 & X2 Available on Steam

Thats good to know, I always wanted to try X3.

Comment

question is without the rom, does it still have starforce installed on it?
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

First off, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions. Post here or PM me etc.

For a not-so unbiased review of X3 for somebody who played the game extensively (see Xfire profile, and I only started that the third time I started to play seriously):

X2 is essentially the same as X3, only you can run X2 on a much lower system (I ran it on a Geforce3 system) and it's not quite as immersive. If you can run it, I suggest X3.

In SHORT:
        Pro's: Big expansive sandbox universe, players can work their way up from single fighter/freighter to massive empires, with hundreds of stations and fleets of their own ships, including personal Capital Ships. Very active script/modding community.

Con's:Purely Singleplayer, High Learning curve, Storyline not worth it, Takes a *lot* of time to work your way up the game. (I have 20 game days, or 480 game hours into my current game. There is a "speed up time" feature for when you're just traveling from place to place, but it only goes up to 10x, so I've put in atleast 48 hours (and since you only speed up when you travel, it's closer to 100) into my current game, and I still haven't quite reached the point of owning my own Carrier/Destroyer.

If you're a fan of Space Sim games in general, at the price they're offering it, it's a must have. If you're not a fan of space sims in general, it's an easy skip.

In LONG:

The early builds of the game were Jammed with serious bugs, and the game wasn't originally very compatable with dual-core processors, as well as using Starforce. That was the reason for most of the rips early on. Regrettably, it took several patches to get most of the problems worked out, but by the last patch (1.4), no serious bugs remain to my knowledge.

As for the game itself. It's purdy. Very purdy. Rip your gfx card and crap all over it purdy. It was pusing past Oblivion's PC requirements before it was out. I run this game on a 3000+ single core with a 6600GT & 1GB ram just fine (read: I can maintain 30fps+ most of the time with 0AA/AF) but anything under that is going to be pushing it. I've heard you don't need a joystick to play it, but it was not designed in the Freelancer style, so having a joystick can be quite helpful.

It's purely Single Player. There is no Multiplayer, There isn't even MP netcode for modders to make an MP mod for it. It does have a *very* active scripting community that makes all manner of scripts that make many parts of the game easier and add variety. (There is a rumor of an expansion with MP, but it's not confirmed by any means)

The single player story line is mostly a joke. I played through like 3 missions and never touched it again, nor did I need to. The learning curve is also rather steep, as it takes awhile to get used to the menu system and what everything means.

The game is an arcade space sim in a sandbox universe. Whether or not you play the story, the universe is constantly adjusting to itself. Pirates spawn from mobile Pirate bases and raid nearby sectors. Occasionally they attack stations, and if they blow it up, it's gone, and the game adjusts. Using Egosoft's GOD engine (which stands for something that I can't remember) The game will occasionally remove or create stations. However, it doesn't just spontaniously generate them. It will hire a large Transport, load it with the station from the nearest shipyard, tell it to fly to where it wants the station and drop it. This makes the universe feel alive, as it is constantly moving and adjusting. If the player creates a huge demand for a product in an area, chances are the GOD engine will notice and build production facilities to fill the need.

The Economy works on a simple supply and demand system. Each station needs certain products to produce certain other products. On a base level, it runs Energy->basic foodstuffs->Refined Foodstuffs->Technological Goods->End Market Products. The loop balances by having Solar Power Plants require certain Technological goods to produce energy cells. The higher up the chain you go, the more you need to produce it. So a Wheat Farm (basic food) needs only energy to run, but a Cahoona Bakery (refined) needs both wheat and energy, etc. Stations will buy what they need and sell what they want either from the player, or from NPC freighters. As it has less of what it needs, the price it is willing to pay for it will go up. As it stocks more and more of what it produces, the price it's willing to sell it for goes down. Thus the player can take advantage of situations where there is an extreme need or overstock of a product to make significant profit. Over time (and mostly money) the player can work up to having other freighters automatically trade from station to station to make money for the player, to owning their own stations to produce all of the various products that can be found in the universe, to Massive self-sufficient complexes of stations connected together to produce your own personal supply of Military Supplies (I have a trio of these that run upwards of 50 stations apiece. Frame rate starts to hurt on my machine though)

Combat is pretty much eh. Difficulty comes from taking on many ships that are bigger than yours. No real fancy moves, mostly just line up your target and blast till one of you is dead (it's easier if you get behind them first ;D) Weapons and shields change based on what class of ship you're flying, and small ships with weak weapons simply don't have the firepower to take on heavier craft, speed advantage or no. It's still fun, but it's not the best arcade space sim I've ever played in that respect.

To make up for that, there are a vast number of ships the player can buy and fly. In order of relative size:
        M5 scout, M4 fighter, M3 heavy fighter, Tp Transport, TS Freighter, M6 corvette, TL Transport, M2 Destroyer, M1 Carrier class. Add the fact that you have 5 different races to buy from, and each class has 3 subclasses with their own Pro's and Con's, and you will certainly be able to find a ship that suits your personal needs. Generally, Combat is such that a good pilot can take out ships one class above them (with the exception of Freighters/Capital ships which have their own rules) So an M5 can take out an M4, but not an M3. TP's/TS's can be taken out by M4's if you're persistant enough, and it's *possible* to take out M1/M2's with M3's, but you're almost exploiting to do it. And there are literally hundreds of user created ships you can mod in with a simple extraction.

Eventually you can work your way up to having your own empire of stations and fleet of ships to use in either policing or dominating the universe. If you find that this game is your cup of tea, you can lose weeks of your life to it.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
          question is without the rom, does it still have starforce installed on it?

I would say no, as it is a CD copyright protection program. Steam itself is it's own copyright protection program. That being said, I have the CD version and never had an issue with starforce.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

I have... but I'm not getting into THAT argument again :P That being the only thing that kept me from getting x3. I'd sure like to know myself if its now absolutely free of starforce.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^>
              For those that have Steam (or need a reason to DL it), space sim flyers X3: Reunion and X2: The Threat are available for a modest price on Steam.

I've never played anything from the series, but it looks like a Wing Commander/Privateer sort of game. X3 got really mixed reviews, with some sites like GameSpy totally ripping it, while others gave it a perfect score. I'm not sure if I'll try this one because I have my hands full with far too many other games right now. I was a huge fan of the Wing Commander series though, so if this is anything like that, I might try it out later on down the road.
              Gamespot is a very picky group. If they do not like the game they kill it.
              XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Re: X3 &amp; X2 Available on Steam

I went digging through Egosoft's forums, and I found out a nice little tidbit of information for you guys. According to Egosoft, the Steam versions of these games do NOT use starforce at all.

Comment

nice work!
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                    I went digging through Egosoft's forums, and I found out a nice little tidbit of information for you guys. According to Egosoft, the Steam versions of these games do NOT use starforce at all.
                    Excellent news! Thanks Spyder!
                    -

Comment

First of all, thanks to Spyder for sending me his copy of X2. I liked the game from the moment I started playing it, but wanted to wait a couple of weeks or so before saying anything about it to make sure it wasn't puppy love.

Now, I must say that I am utterly addicted to this game, and just wanted to place my stamp of recommendation on it. I've been playing it just about every spare moment I've had since I put it on my machine. It's insanely addictive, making money, shooting pirates, building my fleet. I even have a print-out map of the universe sitting next to my keyboard that I take notes on and stuff.

But I will say it's not for eveyone. The interface took me a bit to learn, progression in the game is VERY slow (which I happen to love, it's a very beautiful and relaxing game), and there's much more planning and trading and such then there is combat. In my game at least. I quickly got over the bumps in the beginning though, and the interface is not as bad as the critics make it out to be.

All in all, I love the game and am definately going to buy X3 on Steam when I get the cash.

Comment

It sounds like X2 and X3 clone Elite's (AKA Escape Velocity for Mac fans) gameplay.

It's a pity that they don't offer multiplayer at all. Ever since I played EV I dreamed of a multiverse exactly like that. I played Allegiance concurrently with EV, Allegiance was the original FPS/RTS combo. I could always imagine three gameplay types, WoW or Ultima Online style multiversing, Elite/EV type adventuring and storytelling, and vigorous FPS/RTS, occurring simultaneously on a server, all within view of each other.

Well, actually, I imagined a fourth gameplay type concurrent with those three. Theme park ride. Riders could blast off from Earth and be a gunner on one of the ships in an running FPS/RTS game.
                        -- Shroom
                        I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

I believe the next iteration of the game is supposed to have an online aspect, but it's unclear what it will be or when it will be released.

Comment

They've floated an idea of doing an MMO space sim for quite a very long time. However, that sort of thing takes a great deal of start up funds that they don't have as a small developer. Essentially it's been shelved indeffinantly. They may or may not include basic multiplayer compatability at some point, but it's never really been discussed. The community would have had some kind of MP mod made, except there is no multiplayer netcode *at all* in the stock game.

That being said, the community is *insanely* active, and there are several very, very good mods out there for both games.

As to your combat thing, X2's combat was fairly simplistic and most people easily skipped it in favor of trading and empire building. In X3 the combat system was revamped to be more active and entertaining. It's still not on par with some of the great space sims, but it's much fun. Especially with a particular mod that I run. Great fun. :D

Comment

I think i'll stick with Freelancer untill some sort of Multiplayer is added, i like real human contact everyonce and a while, and the "Total War Mod" is great for that on Freelancer.

But if i ever get bored of that i guess i can go the way of the X's.
                              Oyee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X