Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F15 Missile Tips

Hi all,

I got this from the Lock On forums. Thanks to Bahger.

AIM-120

Your complaints about the AIM-120 are fairly commonplace even after the patch -- you are flying with patch 1.01 aren't you?? -- but, as much as I hate to tell you this, the problems arise mainly from pilot error in deploying the slammer. LOMAC's AIM-120 is effective but only when all parameters are met, the most important of which is to support the missile to TTA if fired from long range. In other words, you have to maintain radar contact with the bandit until the missile goes active; this can be monitored in the countdown in bottom left corner of the HUD. Calling the AIM-120 a "fire and forget" missile is a huge and deceptive misnomer.

Altitude make an enormous difference -- the higher the better -- as does airspeed, as the missile will have a lot more energy if fired at high speed.

In the Eagle it is important to learn the auto-ac modes for the AIM-120, too. And, especially in multiplayer, the ability to fire the AMRAAM uncaged (i.e. without a radar lock) can be very effective. It is very deadly in this mode and the Russian a/c cannot do it with their SARH missiles.

Best way to get used to the AMRAAM's strengths (which are underrated) and its weaknesses (which certainly exist but nothing like to the extent that inexperienced users claim) is to go at it online. I'd be happy to help you out in HyperLobby or even talk you through it if you have Ventrilo. It's not a magic bullet but if it were that bad, I would not have so many kills using it against competent Su-27 pilots online.

AIM-9

In LOMAC the AIM-9 is not really all-aspect. You give yourself a tremendous advantage with a rear-aspect shot, even with a radar lock, and its limited range (as in real life) makes it a dangerous business to tangle with Russian IR missiles. Don't fire without tone or an unwinding radar HUD indication. And from behind his 3-9 line. And low-aspect. Sorry but there is a lot of maneuvering involved. Yes, it can be fairly easily spoofed by sometimes quite large and unmaneuverable aircraft but, like the slammer, firing the missile with its (admittedly narrow) deployment parameters makes it pretty effective.

I fly the F-15 exclusively, too and, as in real-life, I believe, it strikes me as a very effective BVR platform that should really win the fight in this regime. It can out-turn most of the Russian jets but that's negated by their longer-renge IR missiles and their stealthy EOS, which is another reason to fire AIM-120s uncaged rather than get into a turning fight looking for a good rear-aspect shot with a sidewinder.

Hope this helps,
    Jex.

Re: F15 Missile Tips

I don't really understand the term 'uncaged'. This is without radar so does that mean boresight?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I think it means you just fire the missile without a lock and let the seeker find its own target. I'm not sure what AA mode you'd need to be in. Also remember that without your HUD you can still shoot Aim9's. Just line up the AC in the middle of your HUD area and fire, the seeker should lock on.
      Jex.

Comment

In other words, Radar Mode 5 for AA combat. It allows the radar to target the most central target with the highest radar signature return rate. This automatically sets the missle designation and allows for a quick release. Be advised that it is severely limited because of the 10nm range the Auto-AC is using. Be advised this mode also narrows your search band horizontally as well from 120 degrees to 60 degrees. Your vertical scan will be narrowed to about 2000 ft difference.

To elaborate on the F-15C tips and tricks aboce, I find that this suggestion works best as a secondary shot. Line up your target, lock it manually with radar, once in range fire your first 120, then switch to Auto-AC and line up #2. VERY VERY Effective if used in combination with multiple target aquisition (seeing as you are more than likely going to miss at least one of your targets). It also forces them to turn away from you and gives you a better radar signature and possibly allows for a follow up 9-Mike shot.
        Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X