Sid Meier's Railroads!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid Meier's Railroads!

I just found out about this and I am excited.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...&mode=previews

I don't think another game has ever brought as much joy as the originals did. I have always wanted a model train setup since I was a kid.)
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!

UPDATE! It will support multiplayer! Whoo Hooo!!!
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I don't know what it is about grown men and trains, but I'm thinking about getting this, too.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

That looks like it'd be really fun to tinker with.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I love the entire series!

Az
          [age-c1][command]

Comment

I will get this. :)

Trains!
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

release date 10/17/2006

Next week!

Comment

My kid just saw me looking at the official site. Two against one, it looks like my wife loses... :)
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Seems quite good, would like to get it one day.

Comment

I am so getting this. The original (Railroad Tycoon) was great, and even the sequel was very well done.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Ok, picked this up today and played for about 2 hours.

My very casual review of Railroads! is based on those two hours...

All I can say is "What has happened to this great series?"

Where to begin... First of all, all of the gameplay is completely condensed to these tiny little areas where everyone is basically on top of each other. Cities are so close to each other, all of the computer opponents quickly build out into all the cities, and the only way to get around their rails is to build these huge bridges that look ridiculous.

Adding to the bad looks, the screen is completely cluttered, the graphics look cartoonish, it's hard to tell what is going on at any given time, and there is no way to zoom out and see your empire in all of it's glory.. Seemingly, the only view is what appears to me to be super-zoomed in. Also, the large, beautiful terrain maps are gone. :(

Gone also are the monthly and annual reports that chart your progress (although you can still bring them up), double tracking is completely unintuitive, you can't readily determine (or can you at all?) how full your cargo cars are, and you can't even name your company!

Building a rail station is now a completely dumbed-down affair.. Just build some track to the middle of a city (don't worry, the city 'moves' around the track to accomodate it) and drop a station right on it. Don't worry about size, what buildings you may be building over, performing upgrades, or anything else interesting. Seems designed for a 6 year-old.

Overall, the game seems like an amateur effort (is Sid Meier really responsible for this?). I can't see a single part of the game that is an improvement over its predecesor (maybe the economy and AI?). The entire game seems as disjointed as this review of it.

I will give it some more time, but at this point, I feel that the several years-old Railroad Tycoon 2 is a FAR superior game.

My score for the game: 5/10.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Man... That's disappointing to hear...

Perhaps I'll get it for my son and he'll let me dip into it once and a while!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Thanks Tempus, I was thinking about this until now.
                          The Old Guy
                          kin3
                          sigpic

Comment

Some more commentary on it at the excellent QT3 forums.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...t=29666&page=4

Comment

I don't want this but FYI... you can buy it as a download at www.direct2drive.com
                              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X