Racing Sims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Sims

What's the racing sim to have? Do we have an active sim community?

I like rally sims, so if there is a recent/good one available in the USA, please do inform me! I will play other sims, especially if we have people playing them at TG, so let me know what's up with that as well.

Thanks!
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: Racing Sims

Mirfee recently started the TGRL with a few of us participating. We just had our first kick off race last Saturday and it was a blast. I think we might have a video of some of the highlights up soon. Currently we are playing [GT Legends] for the league, but the league might expand to cover more games in the near future like the recently relesed GTR2 and rFactor? Come join us if you are interested.

At this point, Mirfee is donating his hardware as the server for our race. (Thanks again!)

info: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...racing-league/
    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

I'm pretty sure GT-Legends is the popular game right now. But rFactor is a classic that has TONS of addon user-made content like tracks, cars, etc. The downside of rFactor is none of the vehicles are licensed reproductions. I've been debating jumping into GTL for a while but dang... I have my hands in way too many games right now. Plus I'd need to spend money on a wheel. :)
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

The TGRL is open to Supporting Members. As Rocket pointed out, currently the active title is GT Legends with the potential of expanding into those similar offerings.

Since I'm hosting on a normal cable connection, I'm sure there will come a limit to how many players can connect before performance suffers. So far, 5 drivers have posed no difficulties. What the actual ceiling is remains to be discovered.

There is certainly room to expand into rally games and such, however my personal preference is for the GT/GP type racing, so that's where my energies and participation will remain. If anyone wants to start a rally series, I welcome the addition as it would increase motorsport awareness and participation, hopefully. I'd like it to operate separately from the current League series primarily for the sake of season point standings, etc. Unfortunately, this also means a separate server. I'm hosting GT Legends (and likely GTR2, and possibly rFactor) since it's what I play (or intend to play). I will not likely purchase a game to host if I'm not playing it.

I'll draw up some info to post about the overall goals of the TGRL, as well as some musings/suggestions on broadening the scope for various racing sim genres.

Comment

GT Legends... I'll have to pick that one up. Hopefully I'll be joining you folks ingame soon enough.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Another racing sim on the horizon is RACE. It's another Simbin title and looks very interesting. I don't know anything about WTCC racing, but I like what I've read so far. Release date is "before Christmas".

I expect GTR2 to be the next organized racing around here though.
            New to TG?

Comment

GTL is awesome. Need I unlock tracks / vehicles before joining everyone in multiplayer?

Comment

Yes.

I'll put up a post tomorrow with instructions to do this.

Comment

After reading this... and putting forth the effort to look into this GT Legends... I think I'm in love. I've not had so much fun with a racing sim since NFS Porche Unleashed (yeah, I'm using the phrase "racing sim" with a Need for Speed title :row__642: )

That said, I hate starforce. Infact, I hate it so much, I refused to buy Splinter Cell; Chaos Theory (that's saying something!)... but this game, I just had to risk it to try the demo... and to be honest... I'm glad I did!

Yes... as if I needed another game to play, I just had to stumble in here and click on the racing sims thread. Not only that, but because of it, I've also allowed my arch nemesis on my PC. Thanks guys! :row__644:
                  -

Comment

Don't forget to get GTR2! ;)

Comment

I think simbin stop using starforce with GTR2 as I no longer have to input the starforce serial when I install that game. Still, I could be wrong.
                      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Clodhopper View Post
                        After reading this... and putting forth the effort to look into this GT Legends... I think I'm in love. I've not had so much fun with a racing sim since NFS Porche Unleashed (yeah, I'm using the phrase "racing sim" with a Need for Speed title :row__642: )
                        Wellll... if you want to have unimaginable fun, consider becoming a Supporting Member. Then you'll be eligible to join the TG Racing League! Scheduled race events, one per week. Full season points tracking. Bragging rights. TG quality sportsmanship (no wreckers here!).

We've just completed the second race of the planned 12-race season (GT Legends-only for the time being) and are gearing up for the next one this coming weekend.

TC-65 class: Mustangs only!
                        Twenty laps running on the fast and fiesty course that is Zolder.

If you love the racing offline, then you'll really love going wheel to wheel with your fellow TG'ers. :icon_cool

Comment

Originally posted by Mirfee View Post
                          Wellll... if you want to have unimaginable fun, consider becoming a Supporting Member. Then you'll be eligible to join the TG Racing League! Scheduled race events, one per week. Full season points tracking. Bragging rights. TG quality sportsmanship (no wreckers here!).

We've just completed the second race of the planned 12-race season (GT Legends-only for the time being) and are gearing up for the next one this coming weekend.

TC-65 class: Mustangs only!
                          Twenty laps running on the fast and fiesty course that is Zolder.

If you love the racing offline, then you'll really love going wheel to wheel with your fellow TG'ers. :icon_cool
                          I've been working on it :P Truth is, I was a SM but had to drop it due to my current financial situation. Hell, I'm worried about buying the game.:row__642: But you know, once the money starts rolling in again, I'll be sure to get my SM status back... and a steering wheel; playing this game with a joystick just ain't doing it any justice
                          -

Comment

I thought I remembered you being an SM. Well, then... here's to seeing you rolling in dough again real soon. You gotta get a wheel and yer SM status back... we need ya! :D

Comment

Plans are in the works! I'm moving around the end of the week... once that's settled, probably make a trip to the city, get the game (games, just played gtr2... *salivate*, get a wheel and return to my SM status.

Erm... while we're on the subject, whats a good racing wheel? I've never owned one so I don't know what to look for/expect. One of which I have my eyes on is the Logitech MOMO Racing Force-Feedback Wheel & Pedal Set.. but theres a cheaper one (about half the price) called the Logitech Nascar Racing Wheel. These being the only two I can find in my usual place for gaming peripherals. Is there any type I should keep my eye open for? Either of these two or something else? What do you use?
                              Last edited by Clodhopper; 09-26-2006, 01:19 AM. Reason: Steering Wheel question needed to be added in
                              -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X