Test Drive Unlimited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Drive Unlimited

I have downloaded the open beta from fileplanet couple of days ago. I hope it is still available for download.

This is the driving/racing game I've been waiting for years. Need For Speed was killed after Porsche Unleashed and all the other driving games were in close circuits. Finally here is an open-ended title (huge and beautiful island of Hawaii) with dashboard camera view. Finally...

I am looking for the NDA for this to see if we can discuss it here.

Re: Test Drive Unlimited

this game was fun, real fun. It lacked depth though. You could drive 5,000 miles or so. Thing is, money was easy to get, and so was any of the top cars. Your only able to upgrade the cars 3 times. I just wish they had added the ability to tune your cars to be varied from other people.

The graphics were pretty good in the 360 version, they used the same engine as Oblivion to. I enjoyed it for about a month.

Comment

I was surprised to hear your depth comment Undead. Considering all customization options (buying clothes and houses), number of cars, different type of races, 5000 miles of goodness and in addition to all these, a multiplayer component...In my opinion, it has a lot more depth than all the racing/driving games released these last years. I feel like I am actually living in Hawaii.

Comment

Related Discussion: Test Drive Unlimited @ SimHQ

Comment

Hmmm... I'm not bashing the concept, nor am I remotely refuting anyone's interest or enjoyment in this game. I find myself scratching my head over this one. I personally love the sim racing genre, and I am drawn to the very things that I think are so contrasting with this title.

Admittedly, I have only read this thread, so my info is woefully small. This will have to suffice as a disclaimer. ;) But my impression is that Test Drive Unl. is essentially a Touring Sim with some racing aspects. Driving around the countryside enjoying the journey, etc. Nothing wrong with that concept in the least bit.

Except it just doesn't appeal to me in the smallest possible way. I understand the potential for enjoying cruising around Hawaii in a production sports car... a place and a vehicle I'm not likely going to get to enjoy in real life, so this is a nice virtual way to experience it. But then, touring is something I already *can* do in real life (albeit not in Hawaii, nor in an Audi, etc) so the wish fulfillment aspect is quite small.

It's funny, though, that those exact same wish fulfillment reasons are why I like the more pure racing sims so much... but revved up a whole lot higher. The fantasy aspect of a pure racing sim is that I can not only drive on real world locales and in real world thoroughbred racing machines, but I can do so at performance levels far higher than production cars on public roads can do. Just a matter of adrenaline and intensity for me, I guess. Touring just doesn't inspire the same rush that racing does for me.

That said, the pics look really great. Looks like a highly immersive and convincing experience. I hope that it does well, as quality driving sims (to distinguish from arcade racing games) will help push forward the genre/sport. And that's all good regardless of the flavor different drivers want it in. :)

EDIT: I went and read the SimHQ thread. Indeed there seems to be substantial depth to this game for the purpose it serves, but the overall feel still leaves me with my initial impression.

Comment

Well said, Mirfee. The thing that really blows my mind about GT Legends is how much the various cars can be tweaked:

Also, driving on Mid-Ohio (a track I grew up near) in a Porsche 911 is a blast. I've really been enjoying TGRL with this racing sim, and I hope things continue with GT Legends and future racing sims.

Anyway, back to Test Drive Unlimited....

Comment

I can understand you guys. TDU is a very nice looking and fun driving game rather than a racing simulation. Like BF2 versus Armed Assault. But I can still control my windows in the car, can you do that in GT legends? Ha...ha....didnt think so :)

By the way, after BF2 PR games last night, I visited Hawaii again...This time, I met a like-minded guy touring the island just like me. We had a chat and decided to tour together. What made it extremely fun and exciting was that after a while we turned the touring into a challange ! Whoever in the lead was trying to hold the lead position while the tail car was trying to catch. Lots of dirty tricks (sharp turns, zigzags, etc) :) Traffic made it even more fun...Those risky maneuvers and thrill of surviving a deadly crash. Oh boy. Memories of playing NFS at LAN parties came back. My F-class Alfa Romeo was no match for his A-class super duper spaceship-like car but what can I say, I love D and F class cars in this game.

Beta is ending tomorrow but game is coming out soon. Those of you who still remember the melodies of Test Drive and NFS games fondly will have a blast with this one.

Wrooommm wrooommmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                But I can still control my windows in the car, can you do that in GT legends? Ha...ha....didnt think so :)
                Heh. Well, since I can turn on a real fan and and blast it at my real head to get the feel of real air, I'll humbly accept that my sim windows do not open or close. :row__642:

By the way, after BF2 PR games last night, I visited Hawaii again...This time, I met a like-minded guy touring the island just like me. We had a chat and decided to tour together. What made it extremely fun and exciting was that after a while we turned the touring into a challange ! Whoever in the lead was trying to hold the lead position while the tail car was trying to catch. Lots of dirty tricks (sharp turns, zigzags, etc) :) Traffic made it even more fun...Those risky maneuvers and thrill of surviving a deadly crash. Oh boy.
                Well that does sound like fun. I can see the appeal in that aspect.

Wrooommm wrooommmm.....
                Amen brother! :icon_cool

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                  I was surprised to hear your depth comment Undead. Considering all customization options (buying clothes and houses), number of cars, different type of races, 5000 miles of goodness and in addition to all these, a multiplayer component...In my opinion, it has a lot more depth than all the racing/driving games released these last years. I feel like I am actually living in Hawaii.

But alot of that is just novelty stuff. I mean, I owned the saleen s7, but so did every other person. I wanted to be able to tweak my gear ratios and what not. If TDU had that. It could be one of the best racing games ever. I enjoyed driving all over the place, and just cruising online with friends was great fun. I think it was a very fun game. I just wished it had more "car depth" to it. They got hawaii and the concept perfect.

Comment

I was in the open beta, by the way that was my thread at Sim HQ. (John, when I saw your name here I thought it sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. After stumbling upon this thread today, I went back to glance over that SimHQ thread and it finaly clicked when I read your name there. Small world, oddly enough I'd been wondering how many users frequent both sites just the other day after I'd joined TG.)

Looks like a March 20th or 22nd launch date from what I gather. I can't wait to get my copy.

I'm pretty die hard when it comes to flight and race sims. I own most of the notable sims. I don't particularly enjoy arcade driving sims, but TDU PC doesn't feel totally arcady to me. It's closer to the middle of the spectrum.

I drive with a G25 and TrackIR, no aids. TDU is one of the few games that simulates clutch usage to this extent, more so than even most "sims". The ffb and handling of the vehicles was pretty good imo. Tire grip levels are generous of course, but not ridiculously so imo. The motorcycles are a blast and I've been driving them with a dual analog game pad. Wheelies and stoppies for the win.

I unlocked Hardcore mode, but never got a chance to try it because the beta ended. I'm curious to see what impact it has.

My TDU wish list would include car customization down to individual parts in the manner of Motor City Online. There is one closed circuit race track in the game. I wish there were many more, including 1/8th and 1/4mile drags, ovals, and rally circuits.

I don't see the game as lacking depth. There are too many ways to race. You can prowl around looking for a victim, or you can just pick a busy intersection, park, and flash your headlights to entice a race.

You can visit the games drive-in restaurants and create race challenges, or participate in those left by others.

There are tons of single player and multiplayer race locations spread across the map.

I think allot of sim racers would be pleasantly surprised by this game. It's not a sim, but it's fun as hell and looks beautiful (think oblivion engine with cars/bikes). It has an incredible sense of speed and gives some nice adrenaline moments.

That said I'll still run GTR2 and rFactor's F1 mods when I need a sim fix. F1-1979 is currently my fav rf mod.

Comment

It must be 100% different on the PC than the 360 version, because the 360 version was no where near a sim.

Comment

The PC version is no where near a sim. Like I said, it's closer to the middle of the spectrum.

I've never played the 360 version.

Comment

Gentlemen, start your engines.

The TDU digital download goes hot at midnight est.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...=573945&page=5

Comment

I find this game incredibly fun. Being able to build up your empire of cars and houses and money is just awesome. Plus the added fun of being able to drive on public roads with other players and outrun the police as well. I find games like these especially enjoyable because it allows me to do what I think about doing in my real life when I'm driving and wondering how it would be if I just sped off and disobeyed every traffic law. Also for me, driving expensive stock cars around and obeying every traffic law except the speed limit is an amazing experience.

Right now in my TDU garages I got the:

Pagani Zonda C12S
                            Ferrari 288 GTO
                            Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Coupe
                            Nissan 350Z Nismo S-Tune 2004
                            MV Agusta F4 Brutale 910S 2005
                            Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R 2005
                            Triumph Speed Triple 2005

Comment

Reviving a mighty quiet thread here.

Well, against my initial opinion, I just got this game today.

And I love it!

For all the reasons I wasn't excited about when I first posted, too.

I'll keep my eye out for fellow TGers, if any still drive this. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X