Refueling track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refueling track

I made a short refueling track for those still having trouble which will hopefully give you an idea of what to do. The boom operator seems to get a bit confused but finally manages to get it in. I get a little too forward but I take the speed hold off to come back a little. I didn't use speed or alt hold but the auto pilot seemed to lock me in too far forward. On the way back I almost stacked it - i tried to make it interesting to watch as well.

Just look for where I position the aircraft with reference to the boom. I'm also constantly adjusting the throttle to bring me closer and then ease off to settle it.

Save it to your tracks folder and then from the main menu choose Show - this will show you the track exactly as I made it. This view will show you exactly what I did. If you want to look at the track so you can control the views open it as a new mission remembering to change the file type down the bottom to track.
    Attached Files
    Jex.

Re: Refueling track

Ouch.

I'm having trouble with the American refueling hud. How can I tell the tanker's speed, altitude, and bearing?

Comment

I just read a tip in another forum. With the SU-33 there's a very nice refueling HUD that shows the airspeed and altitude, as well as a circle one should fly toward. The American aircraft don't seem to have these niceties. Ah those soviet bells and whistles...

1.Locate the KC-10 (either by using AWACS or simply the F10 view.
      2.Manuver behind the KC-10 and lock it with your radar (this will give its altitude and speed)
      3.Slowly get closer to the KC-10 and when within approx 1-2 miles/km of it switch to NAV mode and extend the refueling probe ("R")
      4.Move very slowly towards it (using altitude hold and auto thrust) and wait until you get permission to continue (the tanker says something like "contact clear" or something and extends its refuel probe)
      5.When getting very close you should make sure your speed is only 3-5 faster than the KC-10
      6.Move your aircraft towards the refuel probe on the KC-10 until you get a contact, after that the autopilot takes over and begins refuel.

Comment

holy crap I suck...

I feel like every time i get close, the tanker pilot starts weaving.

(i know, it's just me)

damn... frustrating

Comment

keep trying - you'll get it :)
          Jex.

Comment

One mental trick that has helped me is to remember that your nose hauls that directional pipper around, and the greater the gap between the two, the more yank you'll impart.

So when closing on the tanker(50m or less), I set trim and really stop looking at the tanker or the boom except to see them as general shapes ahead and above me. I totally focus on the nose and using it to haul that pipper where I want it, and using trim to move the nose up or down.

And of course you have to worry about speed! :)

I've found that you don't have to be all that damn precise. That guy driving the boom is pretty good and he'll catch you if you park her in the right general area at the correct speed plus or minus a few. If you feel like you've slid too far forward, (and I mean SLID not whizzed) throttle back ever so slightly and keep working to stay in position, and he'll catch you backing up if you don't slam into the tanker and kill all of you. If so, try again! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X