The importance of trim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of trim

I was having the damndest time flying and just happened to ask a friend who used to fly F-14s how often he adjusted his trim settings. "Constantly" he said. Anytime you change altitude or speed. But in game I find that it's rarely totally correct even when flying more or less horizontally. Maybe I can't achieve the precise throttle and trim adjustement possible in RL or am just not that skilled yet, but the plane generally either floats slowly up or sinks slowly, so I have to trim up or down every so often, depending on how much I care about being precise.

Trim up, trim down, and cancel trim are the three buttons I use the most. Maybe when I'm a big pilot I'll begin using horizontal trim more too! :)

This may be obvious to everyone, but it wasn't to me, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Re: The importance of trim

I don't have a problem with trim in the F15 for some reason - that may be because I've set my joystick input to cancel it out thinking that I was having issues with my joystick - lol but how would i know?? :)

The russian planes however seem to constantly need trimming, and don't forget you can trim your rudder too (CTRIL - Z&X).

Before I got my JS settled though I'd use trim but could never, ever get it to sit still. It would always bank slightly down or up, left or right.
    Jex.

Comment

Just read this http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_003c.html

Turns out the RL use of that hat switch on a joystick is for setting trim. I guess the hatswitch on the throttle is for slewing the designator?

Comment

tried to hold out as long as I could.

But can I second the importance of Trim... Jeeesh, no one else thinks so??

Bunch of Slack Jawed .....'s

;-)

Comment

Just remember - Cancel your trim when a) you are landing and b) when you get into combat.

Ctrl-T cancels trim.
          Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...