Not sure whether to laugh or cry....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure whether to laugh or cry....

Well, chalk this one up to one of those "I though I had seen it all...." lines.

It appears that certain lawyers are rather unhappy that IL-2 FB (namely UBI and 1:C Maddox Games) is using American WW2 planes without paying the likes of Grumman Corp., Chance-Vought et. al any royalties--they are basically accusing the Pacific Fighters game (maybe this is going to back even into Ace Expansion Pack?) of infringing on copyright rules. I guess that planes such as the Corsair, Hellcat, etc. are actually copyright protected, and as such the copyright "owners" have to be approached for permission before they can be used in flight sims.

Anyway, this is all still in the initial stages, and lawyers from both sides are meeting to try and resolve this. What this means for the future of this game is still uncertain--hopefully wisdom and common sense will prevail. I'm still in disbelief over this. :icon9:

Re: Not sure whether to laugh or cry....

As Government monies most likely went into the development of these aircraft, it is likely that the same eventual outcome over the F-22 case will be repeated. The courts ruled the F-22 name/likeness was public domain.

Comment

Joint Ops couldn't use Humvee as it is copyrighted, that's why they had to uses 'jeeps' instead. I think they'd be hard pressed to claim copyright on WW2 fighter planes though,
      Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
        Joint Ops couldn't use Humvee as it is copyrighted, that's why they had to uses 'jeeps' instead. I think they'd be hard pressed to claim copyright on WW2 fighter planes though,
        "Humvee" may be copyrighted, but military designations are created by the government, NOT private companies. "F-22", "M-16", and "HMMWV" are military designations without copyright.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I predict that the lawyers will win.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
            I predict that the lawyers will win.
            Don't they always?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse