Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of Flight, WW1 sim...

Anyone from TG into this sim?

I've flown a little in Rise of Flight but situational awareness was really lacking... so I finally bought me a TRACKIR... used it last night for ArmA2, and got dizzy... stopped using it, lol...

So this AM I tried it with Rise of Flight, and had one of the best (for this beginner, sim pilot) virtual dog fights I've ever had...

I still can't figure out how I didn't take him down with all my rounds on target, but it was so great to be able to track him with the TRACKIR, and be able to re-position on him.

This is one game where a TRACKIR is almost mandatory, IMO...

Great game, great device... now fix the damn MP so I can dogfight Jeevz!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mScGuSeVl4[/media]
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Rise of Flight, WW1 sim...

Looks like fun. I've been waiting for a good WWI flight sim since Red Baron.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Looks quite good. I hope to pick this one up soon.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Magnum don't take me wrong, but are you using a joystick? :p

The game looks good, but before I have to see how the MP is and how much the addon stuff will cost...
        sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

I love the idea of a WWI flight sim. This looks like fun but I've read in a couple of other forums that rudder pedals are essential to fly these aircraft, even over and above a twistable joystick. For a casual simmer like me that puts me off a bit from buying this title.

What's your take Magnum. Can we expect to fly well with joystick only. Your's is one opinion Id take over just about any others.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

If you have a steering wheel with pedals, you can have a nice rudder pedals Grunt, no need to mod them, just plug them in and configure the axis :p

I know it isn't the same thing, but what the hell this is all about fun.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm using a AV8R-01.... and it works and feels great. RoF, from what I've been told since I never flew a real one, lol, has an incredible, realistic flight model... if you go to the SimHQ forums, in the screenshot thread you will find the top 10 post are of RoF, and videos... incredible WW1 flight sim, with some of the best dogfighting ever. Highly recommended if you like WW1 planes.

That said, their are issues. 1) you have to be connected to the internet to play, even single player. 2) it comes with 4 well done and great planes, they will be releasing more planes for about 6 bucks each, 3) some say its not true widescreen support, but I have widescreen and don't see a problem, so research first, 4) theirs an issue with hosting servers, being addressed, and 5) no force on force.... yet, its coming on SP or online co-op... MP code still needs work.

But damn its fun.

Research any game you buy first. ;)
              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Rudder pedals AREN'T necessary. They certainly help but I've flown with joystick and tapping keys for rudder control. It works. Just not well.

I'd buy a TrackIR unit over a rudder pedal setup.

Comment

gogamer has a nice combo deal for TrackIR5 and this game
                  http://www.gogamer.com/TrackIR-5-wit...VVviewprod.htm

Comment

I was messing with you Magnum :p, you just need practice a little more.

Magnum, do you know if everyone needs to have the same addons to play in the same server?

@TG_JBRanger: Why don't you buy those pedals and build your own hedtracking?

Check this: http://www.free-track.net/english/

And my home build 3 leds cap, here at our forums: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...vx-3000-a.html

Just post there if you have any questions, or need help.
                    sigpic

Comment

Actually, I was just throwing out options. Freetrack is definitely another option.

I use a CH Products Fighterstick and throttle from a X45 for flight duty. Combined together in SVMapper (http://forum.sukhoi.ru/attachment.ph...9&d=1173468799) for programming as a single unit. Can even do different modes!

Comment

Just got my copy today in the mail. Now all I have to do is learn to control the planes properly.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

I decided to go grab this one. I'm having a lot of problems getting it to run properly but it looks like it has great potential.
                          The Bad:
                          -I can't get anti-aliasing to work properly and it's definitely necessary in this game.
                          -The settings menu can not be accessed once the game has started, it must be done before you even launch meaning you can't make adjustments.
                          -Buggy message boxes: when I hit apply it gives me this. I can only assume it says something like "Are you sure you would like to keep these settings?"

-An odd mission selection layout. The GUI is just very strange in-game.

The Good:
                          -The planes feel very precarious and flimsy as I was kinda hoping.
                          -It takes some serious skill just to keep a bead on the enemy. Significantly harder to fly in a straight line than in IL2. Even though it looked like Magnum wasn't doing very well in that video he was doing hella good. lol
                          - The bullet ricochets when you strafe the ground look really cool.
                          -I strafed a moving train and some of the cars became detached yet still kept rolling for a little bit with momentum.
                          -The damage model seems pretty good.

Comment

It looks good but I think I am going to wait a bit - I like the fact that the S.E.5 is now available as an add-on aircraft (good for the devs for adding aircraft in this way: helps dev costs) but the two I'm waiting for would be the Bristol Fighter and F.E.2 (ideally, with some other human player occupying the other seat...).

Magnum, give ArmA another go with TrackIR - you may need to tweak the settings - blur especially - but it'll get natural. I don't really like playing, especially online, w/o TrackIR.

-BoD
                            BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on this game and think I'll give it a try. The developer seems to be very responsive to the player community.

Now, if I only had this setup to play it on...
                              Twisted Firestarter
                              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse