Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dangerous Waters (and other modern naval milsims)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous Waters (and other modern naval milsims)

This thread in the Armed Assault section of the TG forums gave me the idea to open this thread: a place where to discuss about modern naval warfare simulators and maybe set up multiplayer games.

The choice of the title was due to the fact that Dangerous Waters is a pretty solid modern naval simulator that includes vastly different platforms, and allows multiple players to to man various different crew stations on the same ship, allowing anything from a duel between two fully crewed submarines to having two small fleets facing each other with one or two players per platform.

So, to anyone interested, welcome to this thread, let's talk about things nautical. :row__518:
    sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Re: Dangerous Waters (and other modern naval milsims)

I'm actually interested in this. I used to play a lot of naval sims a LONG time ago. I'd be interested in checking out something a little more modern!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
      I'm actually interested in this. I used to play a lot of naval sims a LONG time ago. I'd be interested in checking out something a little more modern!
      Well, Dangerous Waters was developed by Sonalysts, the same software house that developed Jane's 688(i) Hunter/Killer, Jane's Fleet Command and Sub Command.
      Dangerous Waters put you in command of the following, fully modeled, platforms:
      -SH60 LAMPS Seahawk
      -Hazard Perry guided-missile frigate
      -Seawolf-class SSN
      -Los Angeles (improved)-class SSN
      -Akula II-class SSN
      -P3C Orion ASW plane
      -Kilo-class diesel submarine

The three SSN handle similarly, although the Seawolf is the best of the three.
      The SH60 and P3C are similar in what you can do with them (i.e: set waypoints, speed and altitude; using sonobuoys, MAD, airdropped torpedoes and anti-ship missiles), with the difference that the SH60 can hover in one place and has a streamed passive/active sensor, while the P3 cannot stop (meaning that with the SH60 you can usually take your time in most situations).
      The Kilo is the most silent submarine in the game, but only when it uses the electric engine, but other thant that and a smaller payload it is similar to the other subs.
      The Hazard Perry frigate is very different from the other platforms and is pretty complex to run, what with the ability to link with the sonobuoys dropped by the SH60 and P3C, launche up to 2 SH60 in the air and having powerful surface/air sensors and weaponry.

As I mentioned in the OP, this game not only allows to have players fight and cooperate with each other while in command of various platforms, but it also allows multiple players to run the same platform!
      Just think of the possibilities! We could have ChiefBoats yell at us on Teamspeak after the helmsman ran the ship aground, the Weapons Officer "accidentally" shot a civilian vessel with the main gun and the helo pilot flew above a SAM site. Wouldn't that be fun? :icon_bigg
      Or, more seriously, we could have a simple coop mission, a simple free-for-all, a simple TvT or slightly more complex missions with two sides, each having various platforms, each one manned by multiple players.
      sigpic

Comment

My biggest gripe with DW (Even though the lwami mods are insanely awesome!) is that there is no widescreen support, which isn't surprising from a game from 2004.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ACOGRecon View Post
          My biggest gripe with DW (Even though the lwami mods are insanely awesome!) is that there is no widescreen support, which isn't surprising from a game from 2004.
          Seeing that it is a very good simulation out-of-the box, it seems like a relatively minor thing to gripe about. :p
          By the way, what mods are avaiable for it and what do they change?
          sigpic

Comment

So, we can either be on the same boat, or, we can have 1 guy in a sub, 1 guy on a destroyer and 1 guy in a Seahawk dropping torpedos?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
              So, we can either be on the same boat, or, we can have 1 guy in a sub, 1 guy on a destroyer and 1 guy in a Seahawk dropping torpedos?
              Yes, or we can have 2 players flying the helo, 4 people manning a sub, 5 people manning a frigate, another 2 people manning a P3 and someone who drew the short stick and ended up all alone in a cramped Kilo.
              I don't know what the maximum amount of players is (I'll be looking into it shortly), but I think at least 10 players with Multi-station manning are possible, if not more. ;)

Edit:
              i don't think there is any hard-limit on the amount of players that can play at once. Once in the game lobby, the Host can choose the mission and set up what the players can do in-game. Also, while in the Lobby, the players can choose what platform to use and, if multi-station mode is on, what ship station they are responsible for.
              As far as I can tell, the only thing really needed is a Host that has a good PC and a good internet connection.
              Last edited by Merula; 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I might have to partake :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I might have to partake :)
                  Hopefully we can get some more players: I know there are various TG regulars that own this game, but if they don't post anything, we won't know who they are (well, except for ChiefBoatsRet and, I think, Hellhound, that I know own DW)

Edit:
                  while searching for more info about multiplayer (apparently what I have in the manual is all there is to know about it), I found a DW wiki and it also has the Landlubber's Survival Guide. I downloaded this months ago and it did help me with a few things I was unfamiliar with (mainly related to the MH60 and the P3C).
                  Last edited by Merula; 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I would love to do a 5 man mission where we are all the different stations on the boat vs. AI.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ACOGRecon View Post
                      I would love to do a 5 man mission where we are all the different stations on the boat vs. AI.
                      I think we should have already 3 of us avaiable, so we can test some missions. There should be something easy to get hang of, like having to hunt a single sub, or something similar.
                      The one problem with multi-station that I feel I should warn you about, is that once you have been assigned a station to man, no other player can access it and vice-versa. As such 2-3 players per platform should be enough to have it run smoothly, without having one or more player not doing anything for an extended period of time ;)
                      sigpic

Comment

If we want to do a test run, we can play any of the single player missions in multi-station mode.
                        Basically, ANY mission can be played cooperatively, or we could play mission made for a lot more players than 3. :icon_bigg
                        So, anyone interested in testing this out?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post
                          So, anyone interested in testing this out?
                          As long as I can be the cook that scrubs pots under fire im down :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

As long as I can be the cook that scrubs pots under fire im down :)
                            I don't think food cooking is simulated in this game. We are talking about DW after all, not Universal Combat (obscure game reference ftw :icon_bigg).
                            So, if we want to do this, we need to decide who is going to Host this, what mission to play and what roles to take, and we are good to go. ;)
                            sigpic

Comment

I think we should start off simple. Can you run any of the single missions as a coop?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X