Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a good, solid strat game. Zerg games need not apply.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good, solid strat game. Zerg games need not apply.

I'm trying to beef up my knowledge on military tactics and strategy. Now I've never really played tactical rts' before because in all honesty, I found them intimidating. This is coming from a tactical "newb", someone who grew up on zerg games like C&C and whatnot.

So basically, I'm looking for someone to recommend a good tactical RTS game for me that is new user friendly, easy to get involved with, but has battle plans and uses actual tactics...As well as enhancing your knowledge on military tactics.

Sidenote: Anyone know of any good books that may deal with military tactics?
    Last edited by White Rabbit; 08-18-2005, 01:13 AM.
    "Behind every good man, stands an even better woman."
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

Re: Looking for a good, solid strat game. Zerg games need not apply.

A lot of people have been raving about Rome: Total War. I'm not too familiar with it but I think it is more tactics oriented.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've not played Rome, but I have played both predecessors, Medieval and Shogun. BOth are marvelous games that do really highlight key military principals, and a lot of thought has gone into it.

I have lost battles that I took few casualties in, simply because I didn't 'column up' my spearmen enough, and when one unit broke because my general was off killing the enemy general instead of leading them and inspiring them, then the whole line just ran.

And ran.

And ran.

There's no clickfest in this, no button bashing. Real strategies & tactics win :) - even sopemthing as simple as defending the top of a hill to tire out the enemy and give your archers a longer range than the enemy.

Comment

Oh man, The absolute fun I had with Shogun total war.

Brilliant game.

Shogun

Comment

Originally posted by White Rabbit
          I'm trying to beef up my knowledge on military tactics and strategy. Now I've never really played tactical rts' before because in all honesty, I found them intimidating. This is coming from a tactical "newb", someone who grew up on zerg games like C&C and whatnot.

So basically, I'm looking for someone to recommend a good tactical RTS game for me that is new user friendly, easy to get involved with, but has battle plans and uses actual tactics...As long as enhancing your knowledge on military tactics.

Sidenote: Anyone know of any good books that may deal with military tactics?
          My reccomendation to you is to click fast.

As for Shogun.. oh man that game owns all sorts of ***.

Comment

Combat missions would be a good game for you.
            RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
            TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
            "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
            "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Rome total war is absolutely awesome. Some hardcore fans have suggested that there was better scope for tactics in Medieval for various technical reasons and its AI was certainly more effective. Rome looks much better and has cool things like elephants. There is nothing so sattisfying as winning a battle against a numerically superior enemy through better use of your troops.
              Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

White Rabbit, ask Leejo (find him in the sandbox) for online resources on modern military tactics. I've read up a lot on small-unit spec-ops tactics, but I don't think those are exactly what you're looking for.

edit - Oh wow this was an old thread. That'll teach me to go wandering around the forums.
                [volun]

Comment

No big deal with bumping a two month old topic! I've bumped older ones.

Comment

I'm currently addicted to R:TW... again. This time as the Seleuclids. :)

Is the online playing any good? I tried once, but someone cavalry rushed and I lagged to hell.

Comment

So, Total War series of games sound good so far. Any other suggestions?

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                      |TG-2nd|munchkin
                      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Well it's not really a totoally different game but Rome:Total War with the Total Realism mod is tons of fun and makes the units and their behavior more historically accurate.

---

Comment

I have to second Steel Penguin. Rome Total War is so much better with the Rome Total Realism Mod. The only problem I have with it is that there are so many more units the number of choices on who to use takes a lot of time trying to figure out which one would be the best bang for your buck.

Comment

(hrm, 3 months isn't a bad bump either I suppose). I'm back into R:TW with the barbarian invasion expansion. Much better AI on the strategic map. I think it is a little better on the tactical battles too, but must confess, the tactical part was a distant 2nd in importance to me. I have never really liked RTS games before, but I'm slowly getting into them with R:TW, since I care a little more about the strategic importance of winning a battle with as few losses as possible(or loosing causing as much damage as possible...)

Comment

7 months isn't a bad bump, either...

I've been having fun with Rome Total Realism. I just reached the Marius Reforms in 200 BC, but have yet to engage the new units in battle. A problem I've been having, though, is that I want to ally myself with the Ptolemaics and Thrace. I've gone through the diplomacy, ceased war with all their allies, and made sure I'm not allies with their enemies, yet forming an alliance isn't even an option. Is there some rule that after becoming Imperator (which I did long ago) that you can't form new alliances?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X