First real strategy game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First real strategy game?

So, the other night I began wondering about my early days in gaming. I am curious, what was your first strategy game?

My first strategy game was STARS! which was released in '95.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: First real strategy game?

My first RTS game was Dune II. I loved the hell out of that game when I was a kid! I played both the Amiga and PC versions; I liked the PC version better,and while Amiga version had this pretty cool tune, it was the only one they had for the majority of the in-game music! It was soothing, but after about 40 mins, it got real annoying! XD

Honorable mentions from around the same time:

I don't remember which was my first, but my favorite 4X strategy game was MOO2 followed VERY closely by M.A.X. They both had very balanced gameplay, and the atmosphere's in the game were appropriate. Very few games IMHO actually get the UI's to match the atmosphere in the game and these do a really good job of that.

My favorite tactical-turn-based game though, was a tie between UFO: Enemy Unknown(or XCOM UFO:Defense in America) and its sequel Terror from the Deep. These games were so scary to me as a kid!XD But I think this is another case of the atmosphere done right! It was also very hard, even at the easiest difficulty. One shot in the beginning is enough to murder one of your guys and the enemy aims VERY well! The more you research though, the easier the fight becomes!

The first one was rebooted, and it was pretty good but I don't think it hit the nail on the head. What I am really excited by now is by the openXcom project. They made it so that it runs on modern systems, fixed all the known bugs, can be modded, and has some modern features to it. It is really cool, and if you like both games like I did, keep an eye on it. They are eventually going to make it so that you can play Terror from the Deep on it!
    Last edited by ScratchnSniff0; 06-30-2015, 12:27 PM. Reason: Fixing some things

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Comment

Command HQ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_HQ - 1991)! Pretty sure it was the first strategy game I played on PC (unless you count Chess). Prior to that it was Flight Sims :)

After that I put countless hours into Masters of Orion and UFO. To this day I get the shakes thinking about this one battle where a Chryssalid's snuck up on my Commander and turned a soldier I had spent days making a perfect psionic killing machine into a drooling zombie... I've blocked out the horror of all the Recruits I sent to their deaths as meat shields. The first two guys of the Sky Ranger were *always* toast.

Comment

I believe my first Strategy game was Command and Conquer Red Alert way back in i think 1996 that was a great series back in the day i think i played them up to Tiberium Wars don't know how the new ones are holding up.

Comment

Age of Empires 2 back in '99 or so. (I started late, so sure me)

Really the first game I ever got to put any decent time and effort into. What a great one that was.

Byzantines FTW
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I started out with the original Command & Conquer in 1995. The first time I played was at my friends house, they couldn't get me off it. I didn't even have a computer at the time, but i went out and bought my first one the next day. ;)

Comment

I see everyone mentioning RTS games, so hopefully by me bringing in a TBS game I'm not ruining the vibe of the discussion so far...

My first strategy game was actually a turn-based strategy (TBS) known as M.A.X. (Mechanized Assault & Exploration). Here's a link to the game on GOG.com. It's fairly ancient now. I didn't get to play it until it had become a bottom-of-the-barrel bargain bin item back in late 1998. I played it on my family's then new Sony VAIO desktop running Windows 98 (first edition). I played the hell out of it. I had fully upgraded scouts and tanks with the best balance of speed over firepower (60/40 split or so). My tanks could singly take on any 3-5 upgraded AI tanks or ~12 AI scouts. Too bad I didn't have a great internet connection back then (had dial-up, needed at least ISDN for enjoyable online play).

My second strategy game was actually Total Annihilation. Yes the title that spawned lookalikes like Supreme Commander and other followup "real-time strategy" games years later. I actually picked this up for my birthday from a game boutique downtown (Chicago) for a hefty $30 the following January. It was still brand new, sealed in the box. After too many exhaustive hours, I went looking for a sequel some years later. Around mid-2000, I actually found Total Annihilation Kingdoms at the same store (it was having a closeout sale). I decided not to buy it based on the confusing back cover of the box (it had few words and lots of pixelated pictures of new units). The store manager didn't know squat about it and by then Cavedog Entertainment was a puff of smoke blowing in the wind (aka defunct). Online was an issue for me since dial-up was too slow to connect to most of the games. I would timeout trying to download the map updates and unit files.

My next foray was the classic Starcraft and later Brood War expansion (early 1999). Also wished I had a good internet connection to play that. It was also one of the first games I started modding and what piqued my modding interest. Suffice to say after hundreds and hundreds of hours playing the game to death offline, I wanted more out of the units.

After that, I ended up picking up Command & Conquer and almost all of the Westwood titles that followed (also 1999). The rest is history.

Edit: Aw hell. I see Scratchy already mentioned M.A.X. Dang!
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Honorable mentions, huh? Guess I should say Alpha Centauri and Tiberian Sun were my first strategy games that were not made during the era of windows 3.0 and '95.

Speaking of 3.0, I hate how some of the college kids say that Windows XP was the first OS that they ever used. I still remember DOS and even the Commodore 64. If I wanted to play Chuck Yeager, I had to know DoS, even if I was a little kid...

Have to say my all time favorite is Alpha Centauri. It is way better than Civ Beyond Earth. Heck, they even had books about Alpha Centauri.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post

Really the first game I ever got to put any decent time and effort into. What a great one that was.

Byzantines FTW
                  I think I recall AOE:Rome. But AOEII is my first RTS love. I loved wrecking the Byzantines game. :D

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                  "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post

Byzantines FTW
                    Retweet

Comment

Command HQ mentioned above was probably my first RTS first I can remember anyway but my first TBS was Empire. The graphics were ASCII and the longer the game went the longer the AI turns lasted. I remember AI turns last over 40 mins. I would play games or do assignments on a computer next to me while I waited.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Scattershot View Post
                        Command HQ mentioned above was probably my first RTS first I can remember anyway but my first TBS was Empire. The graphics were ASCII and the longer the game went the longer the AI turns lasted. I remember AI turns last over 40 mins. I would play games or do assignments on a computer next to me while I waited.
                        Alpha Centauri was bad that way. Sheesh, some days it would require me to hold the space bar just to get through a round.

Comment

I'm certain that I've missed a few, but what left a memorable experience and battles was TotalWar:Shogun.
                          There was a MP clan that was famous for using only cavalry units. I have forgotten their exact clan name. I think it was called the "Khans". They were great strategists and used cavalry units to their max potentials within the game environment.
                          Of course to off set their battlefield prowess, everyone else used Ashigaru units (foot unit with long spikes) to repel their shock tactics. Daishi units were awesome too, as well as the monk units.

What really drew me into this game to me at least. As the commander of your troops, you needed to fully utilise the terrain you'd choose to fight in on the go, the tactics involved, your troops fatigue, their formation also coming into play as well as their morale.

At some point, someone realised that having only a certain levels of Ashigarus. To get the maximum number into battle was an effective tactic in your selection of unit choices prior to the actual battle itself. Otherwise known as the 'Ashigaru rush' at the time.

Thanks to TotalWar: Shogun, I've picked up Kendo as a result. I've always had an interest in the Warrior codes of the past, but this game just gave me that extra push to become a Kendoka. Which sadly I have shelved for the time being, breaking the code as a result. :)

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

+1 command and conquer - I miss those days
                            May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...